Timelapse of table

Old November 19th 11, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Timelapse of table

So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 19th 11, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Irwin

Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Do either of your tripods have a reversible column? It is
a somewhat under-advertised feature of many tripods.

Sometimes mounting the camera on a reversed column below
the apex of the tripod can help. Leg shadows can still be
a big problem though.

Peter.

Old November 19th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-11-19 04:51 , Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Two tripod legs on the floor, one on the table (shorter of course).

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old November 19th 11, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-19 04:39:10 -0800, Peter Irwin said:

Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Do either of your tripods have a reversible column? It is
a somewhat under-advertised feature of many tripods.

Sometimes mounting the camera on a reversed column below
the apex of the tripod can help. Leg shadows can still be
a big problem though.

Peter.

Yup!
My Manfrotto allows me to mount the camera so that I can avoid a
shadow. In this case the target area is on the floor, but I am sure I
could make it work over a desk drawing surface.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/IMG_0378w.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/IMG_0379w.jpg

Savageduck

Old November 19th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:51:06 +0100, Sandman wrote:

So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be drawing
on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you knew about
a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit cumbersome
but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom out/move the
camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame. Not a huge
problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that works
without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Build yourself a scaffold to mount it on.
Old November 19th 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Peter Irwin
wrote:

Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Do either of your tripods have a reversible column? It is
a somewhat under-advertised feature of many tripods.

Sometimes mounting the camera on a reversed column below
the apex of the tripod can help. Leg shadows can still be
a big problem though.

Peter.

I'm not sure I understand what a reversible column would be, and how
to check if I can use it? Sorry

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 19th 11, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

On 2011-11-19 04:39:10 -0800, Peter Irwin said:

Sandman wrote:
[...]

That was a very nifty setup. My Manfrotto doesn't allow for that,
unfortunately:

http://sandman.net/files/manfrotto.jpg

The small silver latches on the legs make them bend outwards more, but
I don't think that would help me...

Maybe I need to get myself one of those that you have...

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 19th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 4ec77c90.6203968@chupacabra,
Bob Dobbs wrote:

Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

What about using the paper mounted/pinned on the wall as your target?

Because, drawing on a paper pinned to a wall isn't very ergonomic

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 19th 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article
,
Nervous Nick wrote:

On Nov 19, 3:51Â*am, Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Crop the ****ing tripods out of the final photo.

Right, problem seems to be that the two legs in the image would invade
the frame to such a degree that cropping them out would also crop away
the area I'm working on - i.e. the two legs would be on both side of
it. Or at least that's how it seems in my testing.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 19th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,

On 2011-11-19 04:51 , Sandman wrote:
So I want to make a timelapse movie of me drawing, and I will be
drawing on paper on a table. I have a DSLR and I was wondering if you
knew about a good way to mount it above the paper?

I have two tripods and putting them on the table may be a bit
cumbersome but it's possible, but I don't seem to be able to zoom
out/move the camera far up enough without seeing the tripod in frame.
Not a huge problem per se, but I would prefer a mounting solution that
works without seeing it of course.

Any ideas?

Two tripod legs on the floor, one on the table (shorter of course).

Well, in my testing, the three tripod legs were on the table and at
their shortest, and the area to photograph was in between two legs,
yet still they would show up in the frame. One leg at its shortest
would probably be even worse, but I like your thinking

--
Sandman[.net]