Irfanview hacked on Windows 10, as was VLC player

Old March 13th 17, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
nospam

Default Irfanview hacked on Windows 10, as was VLC player

In article , Nomen Nescio
wrote:

And for most people, ransomware is a far bigger
threat than hackers stealing your files.

the only people for whom ransomware is an issue are those who don't
have backups.

these are the same people who are at risk for all sorts of problems,
ones that are far more likely to occur than ransomware.

if someone has a full backup, then it's a complete non-issue, whether
it's ransomware, a hard drive failure, loss/theft or something else.
reformat, restore, and everything is back to normal, often in less than
an hour.

What?!?! You must not have much data to fully restore if you can
restore it all in under an hour. My backups would take quite a
number of hours, maybe a day, to restore all of my data. I'd be
glad to be able to restore it, in that eventuality, no matter how
long it took.

how big is all of your data?

restoring a full 500g ssd is under an hour over usb 3.1.

or just boot off a clone, should be around 30 seconds or so.

for me, most of my data lives on file servers, accessible to any
computer on the network. it took something like 20-30 minutes to back
up my entire laptop.
Old March 13th 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 00:29:58 -0400, nospam wrote:

...and I see your post time has just gone haywire again.

no, that post was posted from another computer.

OT SUBTOPIC: Date header discussion...

AFAICR, they changed the way date headers work with the most common
InterNetNews NNRP servers well prior to the more current INN 2.6.0 (a few
years ago), which means the newer versions handle date headers differently
now than they did before.

You can still completely control what the date header says, but you have to
be able to change how your system date is presented to the news server.

For example, my date header above should be the generic GMT system date.
(and where my next reply, using the same server, will contain my computer
sysdate.)
Old March 13th 17, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 20:11:27 +0000 (UTC)
For example, my date header above should be the generic GMT system date.
(and where my next reply, using the same server, will contain my computer
sysdate.)

By way of example, the date header above will be my system date instead of
GMT (all other things being equal in the two consecutive posts).

Old April 22nd 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Lucifer Morningstar

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 02:20:37 -0000 (UTC), Niamh Bodkin
wrote:

First two items on the list are programs I use.
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_20251107.html

Irfanview -- apparently they can use it to turn on microphone & camera

VLC -- apparently they can use it to turn on your microphone

What does "while collection is occurring" mean?