Australia: suggestions for neat places

Old October 15th 04, 03:03 AM

otzi wrote:

I don't know, I some times think it's better to see less but see it well
against trying to take in the whole world and come back with exhaustion.
You haven't mentioned where your interests lay? What stuff do you like to
see/explore? You have been given some excellent leads. See if you can't
find some picture book in the library and pick some very Australian
locations to pursue. For example opal mining around Cooper Pedy or Coal
mining around Broken Hill. One can fly to these places and they are
different as are the locals of theses areas but there is a cost. Either in
time by car or $ by plane.

I may be on my own here but I tend to feel that one city is much like an
other and you may well feel that the Australian big ( by our standards)
cities won't be all that much different from your own. And our peoples are
not too dissimilar. Then YMMV. And although we may be a quaint regional
friendly blaa blaa type of place, how can I say this, hang on to your camera
bag, even in the lost spots of the inland.

We no longer offer much in large format facilities or services so restrict
your amusement to 35 or if you must 120. It's here just not easily accessed.
I trade style and comfort for film and petrol so fill us in a bit more about
your aims and aspirations and what $ level you are travelling at.

Otzi,
Thanks for the info. My photo style can be viewed at:
http://www.clarkvision.com

I tend to like grand landscapes, some closeups, and
wildlife, especially in action. Also ancient things,
like here in the states, indian rock art and
cliff dwellings (none of this on my website yet, but
I do a lot of photography of these things).

I'll be traveling with my wife. We go
on a "photographers schedule:" up and out
for sunrise and photography while the
sun is low, then breakfast after most
people have already eaten, hiking/touring mid-day
when light levels are high and harsh, early dinner
before most people eat, then out for sunset while
most people are eating in the crowded restaurants.
Sometimes we will take food with us and eat
on the run. We'll be staying in hotels only
(no camping, as lugging camping and photo
gear is probably too much--I'll probably
have 40-50 pounds for my photo day pack--and
if someone asks why, I say because I can, and
I'll keep lugging it until I can't ;-).
Hotels: usually 3-star equivalent, and an
occasional 4-star can be a nice treat, and if
location is important and nothing else available,
a dive will do ;-).

I've been to Australia once so know a little what to
expect (I had a wonderful time). I've driven on the
left in England and Ireland multiple times and never
once made a dent or scratch (to the seemingly common
surprise to the rental car folks). But I did not
drive on the Australia trip.

If I bring 4x5, I'll bring only velvia, and enough
sheets I won't have to buy. I'll develop it
when I get back.

I am pretty interested in Victoria and doing
the Great Ocean Road at this point, but could
be convinced to go some other region too, but
if I do the Victors/Tasmania regions, then
no other places except Sydney.

I too think most cities are similar, and
I like to get away from them. But each also
has its own charm and that is nice to
experience too. My wife likes poking
around in the shops, and museums can be
nice. We'll also spend some time at the Sydney
zoo, probably at the end to see animals we
hadn't already seen (been there once already).

Thanks for all the help.
Roger

Old October 15th 04, 03:08 AM

Mick Brown wrote:

As you head West from Melbourne, there is a multitude of hidden treasures in
Victoria, if you stick to the main Highways, you will see nothing, but head
along the "Great Ocean Road" and you will see some of the most stunning
coastline you will ever see, try to time your trip so that you get to Port
Campbell before Dusk, because if you manage to get shots of "The 12
Apostles" at the right time of the day, it will make your whole trip worth
it (once again, check the pics on my link, of the Apostles)

Mick,
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I viewed and
bookmarked your web page. You have beautiful photos.
The 12 Apostle area: you say dusk.
Another photographer told me sunrise (not in this
thread). Are both times good, or really just dusk
(this would be early April)?

Thanks,
Roger

Old October 15th 04, 10:17 AM
Wise's Wilderness

We have no fall colour, there are few deciduous plants in Aust. The
Tasmanian version is called Fagus but is at the end of April. Any fall
colour is mostly from imported plants.

Tasmania is not like what most of Aust looks like, but it is the most
interesting for the variety of landform.

If you get to Sydney, give me call.

Geoff
"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
Wise's Wilderness wrote:
The issue for you is Australia is the world's largest island. Most of it
is desert. Most of the population lives within a couple of hundred
kilometres of the ocean. We only have 20 million people. What we call a
mountain range runs the lenght of the eastern side of Australia, 100
kilometres or so inland, from there on it is basically flat, except for a
few pockets in South Aust, the Northern Territory and NW and SW Western
Australia.

Much of the colours of the inland are reds, blues and browns. At that
time of the year it is Veeeery hot.

Two weeks will give you a snapshot, pun intended. You would need to
spend 6 weeks because of the distances involved. We think nothing of
driving for a couple of hours to get somewhere.

My suggestion is fly between states, don't drive.

Geoff,
This is great! I've been to your website often. You have
wonderful images. In fact when I first decided on going
to Australia, your website was the first place I went
to start getting ideas.

I'm looking at around the end of March, beginning of April,
so the start of fall. And I have been thinking about
Tasmania too. I figure on limiting the excursions so I
can see one area better, and come back in the future to
visit another area. Do you have much in fall colors?

Discussions like these are what this newsgroup has been
so good at but lately been a little lacking--I was
thinking this newsgroup might be dying. This thread
shows there is still great life. Thanks, everyone,
for all the great suggestions, and keep them coming!

Roger

If you fly into Sydney visit Kent St, west of the Town Hall, there are
several Bushwalking stores, such at Mountain Designs, Paddy Pallins that
contain extensive books on bushwalking destinations around the nation,
there is also the Youth Hostel Association HQ and a packpackers, that are
full of day trip activities, such as canyoning, abseiling, bushwalking,
site seeing etc. These stores also have branches in the other capital
cities

The point to consider in photographing our country in our Summer is the
harshness of light ie it is strong and washes out a lot of colour, forget
about photographing between 10am and 3pm unless you use a polariser and
shoot broad scenics. The gum trees also emit a eucalypt vapour which
creates a blue haze, when viewed from a distance, which is why the Blue
Mountains are called Blue. The further south you go the less an issue
this is.

If it was me.

Day 1 Arrive Syd
Day 2 Packpackers tour to the Blue Mountains and an evening walk on top
of The Harbour Bridge, if time permits.
Day 3 Sunrise shot of Sydney Harbour, featuring Circular Key, then fly
to Launceston, Tasmania, in the afternoon, about a 2-3 hour flight.
Day 4 Hire a Campervan and head in an anticlockwise direction around
Tasmania, starting at Sheffield then Cradle Mountain, stay in Caravan
Park. Visit the Wilderness Photography Gallery, a must visit.
Day 5 Day Hike around Cradle Mountain, with a dawn shot at Dove Lake.
Take you winter woolies, it can snow.
Day 6 Drive to Strahan.
Day 7. Take an all day cruise up the Franklin River and/or a scenic
flight from Strahan over the Central Tasmanian Highlands, it will knock
your socks off. Weather permitting as the next landfall west of
Tasmania is South Africa.. it rains a lot, which is unusual for Australia
as there has been a bad drought on the mainland for some time. Both are a
must do..
Day 8 Drive to Lake St Clair, if you have time take the ferry to
Narcissus Bay and back then onto Hobart. Stay at my friends Hotel, The
Astor Private Hotel.
Day 9 If it is a Saturday, attend the markets at Salamanca, near
Constitution Dock, a great place to buy presents for family you left
behind. Drive to Cockle Bay, the most southern road destination in
Australia, and stay in the National Park campgrounds .
Day 10 Walk to the south coast of Tasmania, Lion rock and back, about a
6 hour round trip. There are bushwalking campsites cut into the scrub in
the sand dunes if you want to do an overnight trip.
Day 11Travel to Port Arthur for the obligatory tourist visit to the penal
settlement, interesting views too.
Day 12 Drive to Coles Bay, Freycinet National Park
Day 13 Spend the day and walk over to Wine Glass Bay
Day 14 Back to Hobart or Launceston and fly back to the "Big Island", as
the Tasmanians say, say to Melbourne.
Day 15. Fly Home

At the end of that you will be thoroughly stuffed.

If time is short drop Cockle Bay or Port Arthur, I would drop Port
Arthur, I still haven't been there.

Want to see what it is all like...?

Visit my website. It was set up so I can share the wilderness with
others... this needs to be done.

Old October 15th 04, 02:41 PM
otzi

We'll be staying in hotels only
(no camping, as lugging camping and photo
gear is probably too much--I'll probably
have 40-50 pounds for my photo day pack--and
if someone asks why, I say because I can, and
I'll keep lugging it until I can't ;-).
Hotels: usually 3-star equivalent, and an
occasional 4-star can be a nice treat, and if
location is important and nothing else available,
a dive will do ;-).

Just for interest three star hotels here are pretty basic and can tend to be
a bit grotty. Motels can offer a bit more space for = $, If you are driving
check out the camping grounds. many now have clean and modern self contained
cabins with ample space for about 30% les than the pub. (Hotel) If you
aren't cooking, good meals are to be had at most hotels and these vary from
purpose built dining facility to lets look elsewhere. The RSL (returned
servicemen's league) if there is one do put on a very good home style three
course meal for no more than $20 that's well patronised. We don't tip, so
don't start. I found with our budget style travel that accommodation, food
and petrol come to about the same value on a daily average. Cabins around
$50-70, petrol now up to $1.10. Newish 4 cyl. cars around $45 day all inc.

--
Otzi

Old October 16th 04, 01:12 AM
Mick Brown

Sunrise would be good as well, I haven't done the sunrise yet, if you like I
would be happy to travel down there with you (plenty of room in the Land
Rover) I havent been down there for a few years, and you are going to need
someone to show you the best spots.

Any excuse for a photography tour hehe

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia

Old October 27th 04, 04:11 PM
Stephen Salathiel via PhotoKB.com

Hey,

Bring some 4x5 Velvia for me!! That stuff is expensive. Check out my website in 3 weeks time when I have it back up online. It is in pieces at the moment (but you can have a quick look now if you want).

www.stephensalathiel.com

If you need someone to go bushwalking with in Vic or Tassie, let me know and I'll come along for the ride!

Cheers, Steve.

* A copy of the whole thread can be found at:
* http://www.photokb.com/uwe/Forum.aspx/photo-nature/567
*
* Report spam or abuse by clicking the following URL:
* http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Abuse.asp...a5229d8cef4975