Mona Kuhn technique

Old August 12th 04, 02:19 AM
Jytzel

Default Mona Kuhn technique

I came across Mona Kuhn´s gallery and I´m really impressed by the
tonality. I´m really interested in knowing what kind of technique to
produce that kind of tone separation..., is it Pyro? Any ideas.

check the link:
http://www.photoeye.com/gallery/form...allery=1&Page=
Old August 12th 04, 12:54 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Jytzel" wrote in message
om...
I came across Mona Kuhn´s gallery and I´m really impressed

by the
tonality. I´m really interested in knowing what kind of

technique to
produce that kind of tone separation..., is it Pyro? Any

ideas.

check the link:

http://www.photoeye.com/gallery/form...allery=1&Page=

Its almost impossible to tell from a web site. The images
will have been modified by the scanning process and at
several other stages including my monitor. To me they look
as though they are just excellent prints from good
negatives. Its not necessary to use any trick to get good
tonal rendition in a print but I've seen enough awful prints
to know that many find it difficult.
Pyro developer has no magic. Supposedly, when used with
variable contrast paper the stain image tends to reduce the
contast of the highlights. This may be desirable for some
images but will result in flat looking prints for others. On
graded paper the stain simply reinforces the silver image
since it is opaque to the blue light to which these papers
are mainly sensitive. Exactly the same tone rendition can be
gotten with other, non staining, developers.
I've seen Kuhn's work before, I think I've even seen
actual prints in local galleries, but don't remember them
very well. Likely, the prints are toned for image protection
although there is nothing on the web site to indicate that.
At the prices asked for the prints should be made to the
best archival standards possible.
Do you live someplace where you can see actual
photographic prints by good photographers? If so it will be
helpful in knowing the limits of the process and judging
your own work.

Old August 12th 04, 01:46 PM
jjs

""Jytzel" wrote in message
om...
I came across Mona Kuhn´s gallery and I´m really impressed
by the tonality. I´m really interested in knowing what kind of
technique to produce that kind of tone separation..., is it Pyro? Any
ideas.

My two-bits worth: I see no need for Pyro or anything like it in those
images. The harshest light seems to be in "Sombra, 1999", but it's still
well modulated. (An aside, I want to believe the scans are not an adequate
representation of the tones of the original prints.)

IMHO, Kunh's work shown there is premature. Needs paring.

Old August 12th 04, 02:36 PM
Michael Scarpitti

(Jytzel) wrote in message . com...
I came across Mona Kuhn´s gallery and I´m really impressed by the
tonality. I´m really interested in knowing what kind of technique to
produce that kind of tone separation..., is it Pyro? Any ideas.

check the link:
http://www.photoeye.com/gallery/form...allery=1&Page=

I'm not sure there's anything unusual about here work. Just looks like
good-quality Hasselblad work to me. You have to start with good lenses
first.

Old August 12th 04, 09:54 PM
Jytzel

(Michael Scarpitti) wrote in message . com...
(Jytzel) wrote in message . com...
I came across Mona Kuhn´s gallery and I´m really impressed by the
tonality. I´m really interested in knowing what kind of technique to
produce that kind of tone separation..., is it Pyro? Any ideas.

check the link:
http://www.photoeye.com/gallery/form...allery=1&Page=

I'm not sure there's anything unusual about here work. Just looks like
good-quality Hasselblad work to me. You have to start with good lenses
first.

There is, the tonal separation is rather good.., creamy and smooth. It
seems that we have a lot talents here on NG to be discovered......

Anyway, please forget about the original post.