Selecting Desiccant (Silica Gel) for Camera Case

Old November 18th 04, 07:14 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Default Selecting Desiccant (Silica Gel) for Camera Case

I'm looking for recommendations on whether or not to use a desiccant in my
Pelican 1550 case. Since this is a sealed case that is pretty much
air/water tight I am concerned about locking in humidity for long periods of
time. If a desiccant is used, what is the proper amount? Is it possible to
use too much and create other problems by not having enough humidity?
Thanks.

Rita

Old November 19th 04, 04:25 AM
Jer

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations on whether or not to use a desiccant in my
Pelican 1550 case. Since this is a sealed case that is pretty much
air/water tight I am concerned about locking in humidity for long periods of
time. If a desiccant is used, what is the proper amount? Is it possible to
use too much and create other problems by not having enough humidity?
Thanks.

It depends on what you intend to put in the box. Cameras? No such
thing as too little humidity. Cigars? Ever hear of a humidor?

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old November 19th 04, 01:29 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Jer" wrote in message

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations on whether or not to use a desiccant in

my
Pelican 1550 case. Since this is a sealed case that is pretty much
air/water tight I am concerned about locking in humidity for long

periods of
time. If a desiccant is used, what is the proper amount? Is it

possible to
use too much and create other problems by not having enough humidity?
Thanks.

It depends on what you intend to put in the box. Cameras? No such
thing as too little humidity. Cigars? Ever hear of a humidor?

Thanks. Yes, camera equipment will be stored in it. No cigars, but I guess
it could make a great humidor if I ever get a craving to fire up a Cuban
heater.

I'm glad to hear that the case should be as humidity free as possible. My
concern was using too much desiccant and dry rotting any rubber or plastic
seals in the camera and lens. Thanks again for your help.

Rita

Old November 21st 04, 10:54 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:25:36 -0600, Jer wrote:

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations on whether or not to use a desiccant in my
Pelican 1550 case. Since this is a sealed case that is pretty much
air/water tight I am concerned about locking in humidity for long periods of
time. If a desiccant is used, what is the proper amount? Is it possible to
use too much and create other problems by not having enough humidity?
Thanks.

It depends on what you intend to put in the box. Cameras? No such
thing as too little humidity. Cigars? Ever hear of a humidor?

Yeah -- Monica, the human humidor.