Image capture speed gets a boost!

Old October 16th 18, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Image capture speed gets a boost!

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.

To quote you, "storage is cheap."

it is, however, 240fps is still 8x the amount of data as 30fps, so
either you shoot 1/8th as much video or you need to pay 8x as much in
storage costs.

I'm expecting new type of compression to be developed.

it already has, heif/hevc, which applies to any frame rate, so 240fps
is still 8x as much data.
Old October 17th 18, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

PeterN wrote:
On 10/15/2018 12:16 PM, nospam wrote:
Neil wrote:
Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future...

One can hope so, although I suspect it is coming, since it is relatively cheap
for manufacturers to increase it as a product feature.

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.

To quote you, "storage is cheap."

LOL. Case in point, just bought a decent 128GB card for $25.

I see the issue as on of organization.

To quote you, again, “nonsense”.
Modern OS’s can accommodate 4 trillion files on a directory.

-hh
Old October 17th 18, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Neil wrote:
Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future...

One can hope so, although I suspect it is coming, since it is relatively cheap
for manufacturers to increase it as a product feature.

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.

To quote you, "storage is cheap."

LOL. Case in point, just bought a decent 128GB card for $25.

I see the issue as on of organization.

To quote you, again, “nonsense”.
Modern OS’s can accommodate 4 trillion files on a directory.

Do you really call that organized?

Eric Stevens
Old October 17th 18, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Neil wrote:
Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future...

One can hope so, although I suspect it is coming, since it is
relatively cheap for manufacturers to increase it as a product feature.

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage..

To quote you, "storage is cheap."

LOL. Case in point, just bought a decent 128GB card for $25.

I see the issue as on of organization.

To quote you, again, “nonsense”.
Modern OS’s can accommodate 4 trillion files on a directory.

Do you really call that organized?

No, since that wasn't the intent. The intent was merely to
point out that even a trillion discrete files can currently
be stored on a disk in current off-the-shelf OS's, which is
the enabling technology for whatever organization schema
one wishes to employ.

I've mentioned in the past that I've done work with high speed
cameras. From some of that work, we ended up with ~8 million
digital frames in just the first year to manage as we waded
through the analysis. Scaling from million to trillion is
of course not without its challenges, but since both are large
beyond nominal human comprehension, the limitation's elsewhere.

-hh

Old October 19th 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/15/2018 4:18 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

On 10/15/2018 12:16 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future. As for 30fps,
those who have shot video have always worked with that rate, and it's
not much of a challenge. IMO, the issue is that it isn't the best way to
get individual shots anyway, but for those who work that way, a 120fps
rate would improve their chances.

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.

To quote you, "storage is cheap."

it is, however, 240fps is still 8x the amount of data as 30fps, so
either you shoot 1/8th as much video or you need to pay 8x as much in
storage costs.

Storage cost per megabyte is not linear.

--
PeterN
Old October 19th 18, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.

To quote you, "storage is cheap."

it is, however, 240fps is still 8x the amount of data as 30fps, so
either you shoot 1/8th as much video or you need to pay 8x as much in
storage costs.

Storage cost per megabyte is not linear.

good point. the sweet spot, where cost per gigabyte is lowest, is not
with the highest capacity drives, so the increase in cost is actually
*more* than 8x.