A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Lenses and sharpening



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #761  
Old October 11th 14, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,119
Default Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was( Lenses and sharpening)

In article , PeterN
wrote:


The fact is that very little can be done in any plug-in that can't be
done in PS.


completely false.

if that were the case, then there would be no need for plug-ins.

Almost anything can be done in both RGB & LAB. LAB is a lot
easie, and faster for some processes.


very few and not without a cost.

that gives more flexability, which is a good thing. Getting into a tool
war, is meaningless, unless there is a reasonable accurate description
of what eah plug-in does.

Habing said that, I am annoyed that the oil paint filter was removed
from CC 2014.


third party opportunity.
  #762  
Old October 11th 14, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,578
Default Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was( Lenses and sharpening)

On 2014-10-10 03:58:09 +0000, Savageduck said:

On 2014-10-10 03:26:22 +0000, John McWilliams said:

On 10/9/14 PDT, 11:55 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2014-10-09 17:49:40 +0000, PeterN said:
On 10/9/2014 12:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:

The fact is that very little can be done in any plug-in that can't be
done in PS. Almost anything can be done in both RGB & LAB. LAB is a
lot easie, and faster for some processes.
that gives more flexability, which is a good thing. Getting into a
tool war, is meaningless, unless there is a reasonable accurate
description of what eah plug-in does.

Do the research, & experimenting, you have the plug-ins.

Habing said that, I am annoyed that the oil paint filter was removed
from CC 2014.

to the best of my recollection the "Oil Paint" filter and one other were
add-ons back with CS5. I see that it isn't there in CC (2014). So I
checked with the "Filter Gallery" and I see that will only be available
in 8-Bit mode, and "Oil Paint" is absent from that.

So, for now if you want to use the "Oil Paint" filter you will have to
uses PS CC or CS6.

That said I am sure that with some digging about it can be located and
installed. Perhaps Adobe support might be able to help.


If you really want to paint, get StudioArtist v. 4. Amazing program.
Free trial.


Not really for me, my painting skills are questionable at best, so I am
not going to spend $300 on that type of program.
Peter is the one who misses the "Oil Paint" filter in PS CC (2014).
However, he has both CS6 & PS CC where it still exists and functions as
designed. Also the PS "Filter Gallery" gives the artist access to a
whole bunch of brushes, styles and effects.
My less ambitious painting skills are catered to with stuff bundled
with my Wacom Intuous 4, Corel Painter Sketch Pad, & Sketchbook
Express. Then with my iPad I have the very powerful ArtStudio.

And, IIRC, there used to be actions you could download (or make
yourself) that'd do painterly things.


Some interesting Adobe news along with the latest CC update and PS CC
(2014) update. For the CC subscribers who also use an iPad there are
now the free, Adobe Sketch, Adobe illustrator Draw (for vector
graphics), Adobe Shape,
and Adobe Brush. The product of any of those is available via the new
CC Library in all CC apps.
http://sketch.adobe.com
http://www.adobe.com/products/draw.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/shape.html

For those who like the idea of creating custom brushes,
that is made into a simple task with Adobe Brush, using any source.
http://www.adobe.com/products/brush.html
--
Regards,

Savageduck

  #763  
Old October 13th 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 741
Default Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was( Lenses and sharpening)

On 10/11/2014 12:20 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:


The fact is that very little can be done in any plug-in that can't be
done in PS.


completely false.

if that were the case, then there would be no need for plug-ins.


Bad logic. Some plug-ins allow for faster processing. Also, do learn to
read, I said nothing about speeding up workflow.

Almost anything can be done in both RGB & LAB. LAB is a lot
easie, and faster for some processes.


very few and not without a cost.


You just don't know how to use lAB, and won't admit that.


that gives more flexability, which is a good thing. Getting into a tool
war, is meaningless, unless there is a reasonable accurate description
of what eah plug-in does.

Habing said that, I am annoyed that the oil paint filter was removed
from CC 2014.


third party opportunity.


Yup
--
PeterN
  #764  
Old October 13th 14, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,119
Default Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was( Lenses and sharpening)

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The fact is that very little can be done in any plug-in that can't be
done in PS.


completely false.

if that were the case, then there would be no need for plug-ins.


Bad logic. Some plug-ins allow for faster processing. Also, do learn to
read, I said nothing about speeding up workflow.


take your own advice, do learn to read. i didn't say anything about
speeding up workflow at all.

Almost anything can be done in both RGB & LAB. LAB is a lot
easie, and faster for some processes.


very few and not without a cost.


You just don't know how to use lAB, and won't admit that.


i've forgotten more about lab that you'll ever know.

that gives more flexability, which is a good thing. Getting into a tool
war, is meaningless, unless there is a reasonable accurate description
of what eah plug-in does.

Habing said that, I am annoyed that the oil paint filter was removed
from CC 2014.


third party opportunity.


Yup


then why are you annoyed?
  #765  
Old October 13th 14, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 741
Default Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was( Lenses and sharpening)

On 10/13/2014 2:24 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

The fact is that very little can be done in any plug-in that can't be
done in PS.

completely false.

if that were the case, then there would be no need for plug-ins.


Bad logic. Some plug-ins allow for faster processing. Also, do learn to
read, I said nothing about speeding up workflow.


take your own advice, do learn to read. i didn't say anything about
speeding up workflow at all.


Never said you did. Indeed, your commengt totally ignored that potential



Almost anything can be done in both RGB & LAB. LAB is a lot
easie, and faster for some processes.

very few and not without a cost.


You just don't know how to use lAB, and won't admit that.


i've forgotten more about lab that you'll ever know.


YOur comments about LAB do support your statement.


that gives more flexability, which is a good thing. Getting into a tool
war, is meaningless, unless there is a reasonable accurate description
of what eah plug-in does.

Habing said that, I am annoyed that the oil paint filter was removed
from CC 2014.

third party opportunity.


Yup


then why are you annoyed?


I do not see a rational reason why I should have to use one. I had
eliminated Painter from my workflow, and missed the upgrade window.


--
PeterN
  #766  
Old October 13th 14, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,119
Default Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was( Lenses and sharpening)

In article , PeterN
wrote:

The fact is that very little can be done in any plug-in that can't be
done in PS.

completely false.

if that were the case, then there would be no need for plug-ins.

Bad logic. Some plug-ins allow for faster processing. Also, do learn to
read, I said nothing about speeding up workflow.


take your own advice, do learn to read. i didn't say anything about
speeding up workflow at all.


Never said you did. Indeed, your commengt totally ignored that potential


i did not ignore anything.

your statement is bull****. period.

as usual, you refuse to admit you're wrong and are twisting things into
something entirely different.

Almost anything can be done in both RGB & LAB. LAB is a lot
easie, and faster for some processes.

very few and not without a cost.

You just don't know how to use lAB, and won't admit that.


i've forgotten more about lab that you'll ever know.


YOur comments about LAB do support your statement.


at least you admit you know nothing about lab.

that gives more flexability, which is a good thing. Getting into a tool
war, is meaningless, unless there is a reasonable accurate description
of what eah plug-in does.

Habing said that, I am annoyed that the oil paint filter was removed
from CC 2014.

third party opportunity.

Yup


then why are you annoyed?


I do not see a rational reason why I should have to use one. I had
eliminated Painter from my workflow, and missed the upgrade window.


nobody said you had to use one.
  #767  
Old October 13th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 741
Default Is RGB to Lab lossy? - was( Lenses and sharpening)

On 10/13/2014 4:41 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

The fact is that very little can be done in any plug-in that can't be
done in PS.

completely false.

if that were the case, then there would be no need for plug-ins.

Bad logic. Some plug-ins allow for faster processing. Also, do learn to
read, I said nothing about speeding up workflow.

take your own advice, do learn to read. i didn't say anything about
speeding up workflow at all.


Never said you did. Indeed, your commengt totally ignored that potential


i did not ignore anything.

your statement is bull****. period.

as usual, you refuse to admit you're wrong and are twisting things into
something entirely different.


Lie # 223.

Almost anything can be done in both RGB & LAB. LAB is a lot
easie, and faster for some processes.

very few and not without a cost.

You just don't know how to use lAB, and won't admit that.

i've forgotten more about lab that you'll ever know.


YOur comments about LAB do support your statement.


at least you admit you know nothing about lab.

that gives more flexability, which is a good thing. Getting into a tool
war, is meaningless, unless there is a reasonable accurate description
of what eah plug-in does.

Habing said that, I am annoyed that the oil paint filter was removed
from CC 2014.

third party opportunity.

Yup

then why are you annoyed?


I do not see a rational reason why I should have to use one. I had
eliminated Painter from my workflow, and missed the upgrade window.


nobody said you had to use one.


YOur opinion is neither sought, nor respected.

--
PeterN
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharpening Alfred Molon[_4_] Digital Photography 23 April 3rd 13 06:57 PM
Sharpening Ockham's Razor Digital Photography 11 February 6th 07 09:35 PM
Am I over-sharpening? Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address Digital Photography 12 February 9th 06 07:58 AM
RAW sharpening embee Digital Photography 11 December 24th 04 04:43 PM
D70 on-camera sharpening vs. Photoshop sharpening john Digital Photography 7 July 23rd 04 10:55 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.