All Nikon/Canon competitors only comprise 20% of the market

Old July 23rd 10, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

Default All Nikon/Canon competitors only comprise 20% of the market

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Amateur Photographer:

The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
warn.

The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
reflect the rest of the world is beyond me. Just more of their lousy bloody
british pomposity.

Old July 23rd 10, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Lichtenstein

Bruce wrote:

wrote:

Amateur Photographer:

The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
warn.

The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.

The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
UK market. None.

The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
no comparable retail data available from US sources. The Japanese
photo industry stopped publishing retail data a couple of years ago.
No other countries except the UK publish their data. So the whining
Canadian seized on the only market data that is still being published.

Just more of their lousy bloody british pomposity.

Personalities aside, sometime ago, I had some off-the-record
discussions with people from Olympus. They seem to share those
predictive opinions, and in fact, they validated the conjectures in the
UK article posted above about overall trends and their position on
compact EVF Interchangeable lens cameras. However, I restate that these
comments are strictly 'unofficial.'
Old July 23rd 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

wrote:
Amateur Photographer:

The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
warn.

The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.

The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
UK market. None.

The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
no comparable retail data available from US sources.

}You honestly think Britain is so under representative of other
}markets, that it stands alone?

Well we do have a lot of water around us ;-)

Old July 23rd 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:14:18 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:
On Jul 23, 5:40 am, Bruce wrote:
The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
UK market. None.

The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
no comparable retail data available from US sources.

You honestly think Britain is so under representative of other
markets, that it stands alone?

I do know from historic data that purchasing trends in the UK differed
greatly from the USA, Japan and countries in mainland Europe in the
past. But that data is no longer publicly available.

In the absence of any published data, it is now impossible to compare,
so your question cannot be answered.

Hint! such data for the US is available.

www.marketresearch.com (a paid site)

or dig it out. Starting point:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...ng-still-weak/

or

http://www.sba.gov/advo/research/rs240tot.pdf

or

http://www.uschamber.com/issues/inde...dataaccess.htm

or

http://www.bls.gov/

As for Canada at lest as of August 2008:

http://www.corostrandberg.com/pdfs/S...er%2008 2.pdf

Yup! you may have to dig out the necessary data yourself, or pay for it. the
data is available. If the answer is important to you, go for it.

--
Peter

Old August 1st 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: wrote:
: On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA
: wrote:
: Amateur Photographer:
:
[...]
: Your American arrogance is showing.

Come on, Bruce, I'm sure you realize that Outing doesn't speak for the rest of
us.

Bob
Old August 2nd 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:44:58 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:40:37 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!

: Just more of their lousy bloody british pomposity.
:
: Your American arrogance is showing.

Come on, Bruce, I'm sure you realize that Outing doesn't speak for the rest of
us.

Yes, of course I realise that. There are some very likeable
Americans, but this guy certainly isn't one of them.

I was merely responding to his accusations aimed at my countrymen,
based on the ranting of a slightly deranged whining Canadian. So a
slight dig at his American arrogance didn't seem at all inappropriate.
;-)

Well, in an international group any slight digs at one may chafe others.
This NG proves there's enough ignorance and boorishness to go around, so
that each nation's 'reps' here can have some, as well as the good kinds.

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 4th 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 21:50:41 -0400, John McWilliams wrote:
: Bruce wrote:
: On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:44:58 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:40:37 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: : On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
:
: : Just more of their lousy bloody british pomposity.
: :
: : Your American arrogance is showing.
:
: Come on, Bruce, I'm sure you realize that Outing doesn't speak for the rest of
: us.
:
:
: Yes, of course I realise that. There are some very likeable
: Americans, but this guy certainly isn't one of them.
:
: I was merely responding to his accusations aimed at my countrymen,
: based on the ranting of a slightly deranged whining Canadian. So a
: slight dig at his American arrogance didn't seem at all inappropriate.
: ;-)
:
: Well, in an international group any slight digs at one may chafe others.
: This NG proves there's enough ignorance and boorishness to go around, so
: that each nation's 'reps' here can have some, as well as the good kinds.

I was just tweaking Bruce a little. Obviously I wouldn't dream of actually
suggesting that he thinks the Troll speaks for the U.S. or for anybody in his
right mind who lives here.

Bob