Compact, lightweight, ten times zoom AND viewfinder in one camera

Old July 21st 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Montgomery[_2_]

Default Compact, lightweight, ten times zoom AND viewfinder in one camera

Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
lightweight cameras with viewfinders.

But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
• compact
• lightweight
• has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
• has a viewfinder.

I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and playback
mode.

It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
by this problem.

I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.

I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
less frequent on the new cameras!

Robert
Old July 21st 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-07-21 07:00:07 -0700, Robert Montgomery
said:

[...]

Well, if you will settle for 5X "optical zoom" there is the Canon G11.

Savageduck

Old July 21st 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

On 2010-07-21 07:00:07 -0700, Robert Montgomery
said:

[...]

... or if you settle for less lightweight and less compact many DSLRs can
be used with an 11x zoom (18-200mm) and have an optical viewfinder.

David

Old July 21st 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:00:07 +0000, Robert Montgomery wrote:

[...]

Look at an EVF. And keep in mind that 'compact' and 'long zoom' are, to a
large extent, contradictory.

Old July 21st 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:00:07 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:

Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

The LCD is a viewfinder, you can always use a collapsible
hood to obviate the sun wash-out and glare.
Old July 21st 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Robert Montgomery wrote:
Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
lightweight cameras with viewfinders.

But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
• compact
• lightweight
• has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
• has a viewfinder.

I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and playback
mode.

It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
by this problem.

My guess is they are (at least I am), but short of starting your own
camera company what's to be done. I have to assume the stuff on the
shelves does well in the market. Once you get away from the shirt pocket
sizes there are some choices less expensive than G11 or DSLR.

Old July 21st 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 7/21/2010 10:00 AM, Robert Montgomery wrote:
[...]

Forget "clerks in photography stores". Go down to Best Buy and look at
what's on display. They should have at least two models with what you
are looking for and may have others.

Or if you are in or near NYC, go down to B&H.

Old July 21st 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Montgomery[_2_]

On 2010-07-21 07:00:07 -0700, Robert Montgomery
said:

[...]

Thanks, Savage.

I recently bought a Samsung PL-150, which has a five times zoom. I
bought it for the front monitor, which allows for self-portraits, but I
find that it doesn't zoom enough and it lacks a viewfinder.

Robert

Old July 21st 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Montgomery[_2_]

Irwell wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:00:07 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:

Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

The LCD is a viewfinder, you can always use a collapsible
hood to obviate the sun wash-out and glare.

Thanks, Irwell.

Would a collapsible hood fit properly on all small digital cameras?

Robert
Old July 21st 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Montgomery[_2_]

Rich wrote:
On Jul 21, 10:00 am, Robert Montgomeryinfo-bl...@northern-data-
tech.net wrote:

But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
• compact
• lightweight
• has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
• has a viewfinder.

Check out the latest P&S offerings on Dpreview.

www.dpreview.com

Thanks.

Does anybody know of any offhand? I've already looked considerably at
http://www.photographyblog.com, but I can't find any.

Robert