Apple: Laughing at the sheep

Old July 13th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

Default Apple: Laughing at the sheep

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...ex.html?hpt=C2

If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
up for anything preceded with an "i."
Old July 14th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 13/07/10 7:30 PM, Rich wrote:

The new model will be the iPhone DT a special model that includes a
1/2" x 2" strip of duct tape, for only $25.00 over the cost of the
current iPhone.

I'm sure a bunch of manufacturers in China are gearing up production of
1/2" x 2" pieces of duct tape and it will be available after-market for
much less than $25.
Old July 14th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
, "otter"
wrote:

On Jul 14, 3:53*am, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter

wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....tape/index.ht...

If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
up for anything preceded with an "i."

The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
last weekend, and the place was a zoo. *I've never seen a store so
crowded.

With sheep, presumably?

I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid. Sheep are pretty laid-
back. These were more like monkeys. The atmosphere was frenetic.
The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
was when the original macs came out.

I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
a Dell Streak. *So far, so good. *

And it plays Flash videos, beautifully. *;-)

I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".

;-)

Still, that is a snazzy little phone, even with the duct tape.

Old July 14th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"otter" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby wrote:
On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
, "otter"

I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".

;-)

That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
again some time. Not completely ruling it out.

I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
significant difference.
The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
familiarity.

I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine beats
anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs also have
the speed.

You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
And Yes I know about compatibility.

--
Peter

Old July 14th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:09:02 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"otter" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby wrote:
On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
, "otter"

I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".

;-)

That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
again some time. Not completely ruling it out.

I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
significant difference.
The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
familiarity.

All of the schools around here that teach graphics use Macs, so the
graduates of those schools tend to buy Macs for personal use because
they are accustomed to them. Apple must have made some sweet deals
with the schools when the programs started. Good business move.

I took one course in Photoshop (old photo restoration) and was the
slowest person in the class. The instructor was a short-cut fanatic
and all lessons involved Mac short-cuts. I knew PC short-cuts and
instinctively tried to use them.

I saw no particular advantage to the Mac I used in class compared to
my home PC. Just different.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 14th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"Peter" wrote in message
"otter" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby wrote:
On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
,
"otter"

I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".

;-)

That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
again some time. Not completely ruling it out.

I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing
any significant difference.
The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because
of familiarity.

Or just less hassle, how many Mac owners spend a significant time
re-installing the OS every so often. Then there's viruses.
Most of the people I know use macs because they work better than PCs
or they have in the past.Macs also seem easier for most to understand.

I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine
beats anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs
also have the speed.

You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
And Yes I know about compatibility.

I'm not to sure about the lower operating costs, it might seem that way on
the surface and it depends how compedent you are at solving problems.

Old July 14th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/14/10 10:09 AM, in article
, "Peter"
wrote:

"otter" wrote in message
[...]

There IS a reason that AAPL has shot through the roof and it is known as
'Customer Satisfaction'. Meanwhile, MSFT and other PC makers shares have
languished.

Graphic pros, videographers and pro photographers use Mac because of ease of
use and 'user friendliness'. Twenty-five years ago Mac LaserWriter put Page
Layout in the hands of those who previously had to rely on expensive
Typography services. A program, "Digital Darkroom" was on the Mac before
Aldus brought out Photoshop, so pro photographers naturally leaned that way.
And Final Cut Pro is the chosen tool over Premiere by Video pros.

The initial cost may be more, but time is money and when all is considered,
including the packaged software, the Mac is the choice of most
professionals.

Old July 14th 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

wrote:

"otter" wrote in message
[...]

Can we fairly say that this shows that the saying: "familiarity breeds
contempt," doesn't always apply. :-)

--
Peter

Old July 14th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

wrote:

"otter" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder if tehy did, I bet most don;t get any special deals other than the
educational discount which isn';t a great deal maybe 10% so it's not like
they give them away.
But they do a good deal on Applecare for education.

I took one course in Photoshop (old photo restoration) and was the
slowest person in the class. The instructor was a short-cut fanatic
and all lessons involved Mac short-cuts. I knew PC short-cuts and
instinctively tried to use them.

Even after over 20 years of using both the ctrl and command key swaps still
**** me off, but I'll survive.

My dad failed to learn to edit his photos on a Mac as his 'instructor'
couldn't find or create the short-cuts !!!!!!

I saw no particular advantage to the Mac I used in class compared to
my home PC. Just different.

There shouldn't be really, but I've found the OS of Macs to be much more
stable and nice to use. I started off with a BBC micro and a unix system and
the first computer I used was a PET.

Old July 14th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"George Kerby" wrote in message

On 7/14/10 10:09 AM, in article
, "Peter"
wrote:

"otter" wrote in message
[...]

For the reasons stated above and since I am not a professional and don't use
Final Cut, or any other video editing program, I will stick with PC.

Obviously you are a professional and should do whatever makes you feel
better.
--
Peter