Why DSLR still use CF card?

Old July 4th 10, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

Default Why DSLR still use CF card?

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why high
end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off, not a
feature.

Old July 4th 10, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-07-04 01:10:42 -0700, "james" said:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off,
not a feature.

Yup. They are a decent size for gorillas with fat fingers, like me.

Savageduck

Old July 4th 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
LOL!

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 01:24:11 -0700, Savageduck

On 2010-07-04 01:10:42 -0700, "james" said:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off,
not a feature.

Yup. They are a decent size for gorillas with fat fingers, like me.

Now there's a compelling reason if I ever read one.

NOT.

Old July 4th 10, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 04/07/2010 10:10, james wrote:
SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off,
not a feature.

The CF card can still be a lot faster... (90Mbytes/sec for the latest
CF, vs 35Mbytes/sec for SD)

And since the CF card interface is a plain PC hard disk interface, you
can use a passive adapater to connect the card to the PC and use it
without the speed limitations of a USB or Firewire connection.

But it is otherwise true that this advantage is becoming less important
over time, and the SD card is climbing its way up the SLR family.

--
Bertrand
Old July 4th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, james wrote:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off,
not a feature.

I think one significant reason is that many purchasers are repeat buyers
- they already HAVE CF cards. IMHO - best route is to make a camera
capable of using CF and SD.
Old July 4th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-07-04 07:03:10 -0700, ray said:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, james wrote:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off,
not a feature.

I think one significant reason is that many purchasers are repeat buyers
- they already HAVE CF cards. IMHO - best route is to make a camera
capable of using CF and SD.

....and that is what I have with my D300s.

Savageduck

Old July 4th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

james wrote:
SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card.

That's news to me.

Pray tell, how many revisions of the SD card specs will it
take to reach the capacity limits of the CF card, and how
many incompatible or problematic changes will that cause?

Is there a good reason why high
end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off, not a
feature.

Except for the read-only tab (which is of little use in
cameras) there is nothing an SD card can do better, and lots
it can do worse. Try handling SD cards in thick gloves, just
for fun.

-Wolfgang
Old July 4th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Shafranski

"james" wrote in message
SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why
high end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off,
not a feature.

For the same reason they stick to film-era optical viewfinders I expect.
Regards Mike.

Old July 4th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 01:10:42 -0700, "james" wrote:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why high
end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off, not a
feature.

Well, SD cards do have two advantages over CF cards:
1. Size and
2. Much less chance of bending pins inside the camera.

First with DSLR cameras, the size factor really isn't important. A DSLR
is going to be larger anyway than a small P&S. Not much to be gained in
size by using a SD chip.

The second factor, while technically true, certainly has not been a
problem with me. I have been shooting using CF cards for over 11 years
now in 4 different cameras and have never bent a pin inside the camera
while inserting the chip.

The big advantage with staying with CF is that many people out there,
like myself, have quite an arsenal of CF chips and don't want to be
forced to buy different chips when buying a new camera. It's like one
of the big reasons for choosing a Canon 50D when I upgraded from the 20D
for me was that I didn't want to have to buy a whole new set of lenses.
The same can hold for CF chips.

Gary
Old July 4th 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/4/10 3:10 AM, in article , "james"
wrote:

SDxx card have equaled or bettered CF card. Is there a good reason why high
end DSLRs still use CF cards? This actually seems like a turn-off, not a
feature.

High end cameras, like Canon EOS 1-DS markiii, use both.