How to tell a rank amateur from a seasoned one, or a pro

Old July 2nd 10, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

Default How to tell a rank amateur from a seasoned one, or a pro

"SMS" wrote in message

BTW, there's a web site in the UK that lists the lag of many P&S
cameras, "http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm".

Oops, hit send too soon.

Also, Imaging Resource always prominently displays both the shutter lag
and the AF lag of the cameras they test.

Do you happen to know the lag on a purely mechanical camera
say a SLR from the 70s like my old Practica L or even my first truely
'electronic' canon A1 .

Old July 5th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"John Navas" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:01:24 +0100, in i0knuu$58d$1@qmul, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
. ..

BTW, there's a web site in the UK that lists the lag of many P&S
cameras, "http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm".

Oops, hit send too soon.

Also, Imaging Resource always prominently displays both the shutter lag
and the AF lag of the cameras they test.

Do you happen to know the lag on a purely mechanical camera
say a SLR from the 70s like my old Practica L or even my first truely
'electronic' canon A1 .

No. I say that with confidence, because he clearly doesn't know the lag
on *any* camera.

What do you mean by the lag of a camera, don;t you realise there's many
areas
where lag can be accumulated.
For me there are many areas of lag, one I eliminated wass by not usiong a
lens cap when I was ready to take photos, another was focusing before I take
the shot, rather than just before I take the shot.

Old July 5th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

What do you mean by the lag of a camera, don;t you realise there's many
areas where lag can be accumulated.

For course. Much depends on how the camera is configured, and on the
skill of the user.

lag is not a function of the user's skill. the camera is either fast or
it's not.

how well a user can deal with a slow camera may involve skill (and a
little bit of luck too).

For me there are many areas of lag, one I eliminated wass by not usiong a
lens cap when I was ready to take photos, another was focusing before I take
the shot, rather than just before I take the shot.

Sure. I likewise configure my camera appropriately when shooting fast
action, with settings I've stored in a custom configuration that can be
set with a twist of the mode dial. That's Fast Focus mode for most
cases, although I sometimes switch to Continuous Focus or Manual Focus
(pre-focus) when it makes more sense to do so.

in other words, you have a number of workarounds for limitations of the
camera.

This is the kind of thing known only to people who have actually used a
given camera enough to know how to use it well. Those like Steven who
rely only on what they read on the Internet are thus easily mistaken
about the true capabilities of a camera, as is painfully obvious from
all the mistakes he posts to Usenet.

But even just a half-press of the shutter button in preparation for a
shot will pre-focus any decent camera, avoiding any focus lag when the
shot is taken, which even Steven should know, so there really is no
excuse for his statements.

what was that you like to say about attacking the man?
Old July 5th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Joel Connor

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 07:08:05 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:56:03 +0100, in i0skot$u67$1@qmul, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

"John Navas" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:01:24 +0100, in i0knuu$58d$1@qmul, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

For him to claim to be the expert about CHDK the way he continually does,
you'd think he'd know about the simple shortcut button-press to quickly set
any CHDK'ed camera's focus to a "hyperfocal" setting for your selected
aperture nearly instantaneously (or another shortcut button-press for
infinity). These are basic functions of CHDK that everyone knows about. So
much for his claims about knowing anything at all about CHDK cameras too.

Yet these other online trolls just agree with someone as obviously
delusional as SMS. Birds of a feather!

Old July 5th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Joel Connor

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:22:19 -0700, nospam wrote:

In article , John Navas
wrote:

[...]

Hey troll. Let's see some of your photography. What's that? You don't have
any? Yeah, we all already know that.

But just to correct your wild imaginings..

In other words, you have a number of workaround for the limitations of your
DSLRs.

1. Don't change lenses.

2. Don't keep it in a camera bag.

3. Don't leave it at home gathering dust because it's so damn cumbersome
and heavy and it's not allowed in most public events.

5. Don't use long focal-lengths or you'll miss those shots setting up a
tripod.

6. Should I go on with the rest of your lousy DSLR workarounds? I could
type about 200 more if you want.