Scanner for photos and film

Old November 19th 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cams

Default Scanner for photos and film

I'd like to go through my shoe boxes of photos and negatives and
digitize them all. I'm looking for advice on the best way of going about
this.

I'm looking to scan everything, rather than cherry picking individual
images, then process everything when it's done. Is there a particular
scanner that folks recommend for doing this relatively quickly and
easily? Ideally I'd like to have the capability of scanning prints as
well, in cases where I have prints but no negatives.

I have both regular 35mm film and APS cartridges. Windows or Mac is
fine.

My internet research seems to indicate that the Epson Perfection V700
or V750 would be good candidates but I'm not sure whether there is a way
to deal with APS film on these scanners. Also, my retailer of choice
would be Pixmania (they have a Luxembourg page on their site and I'm in
Luxembourg until January). However, I note that the one they have is
listed as a V750 while many sites found through Google are referencing
the V750-M. I can find no comparison of these two or indication of
whether it is indeed just an updated name for the same model. Does
anyone know whether the M version is more recent?

Thanks in advance
Cams

Old November 19th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 03:57:12 -0600, Cams wrote:

I'd like to go through my shoe boxes of photos and negatives and
digitize them all. I'm looking for advice on the best way of going about
this.

I'm looking to scan everything, rather than cherry picking individual
images, then process everything when it's done. Is there a particular
scanner that folks recommend for doing this relatively quickly and
easily? Ideally I'd like to have the capability of scanning prints as
well, in cases where I have prints but no negatives.

You can't do it 'relatively quickly and easily'. If you have very many,
which it sounds like you do, it will be very time consuming no matter what
equipment you choose.

Old November 19th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Cams wrote:
[...]

I use a dedicated slide/negative scanner and a separate photo scanner for
prints etc.

There may well be combination scanners that will do both equally well, but I
would think that the quality of the finished scan will be a compromise.

I stand corrected if I am wrong about this.

Dennis.

Old November 19th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali[_3_]

Scanning negatives is not a quick process if you do it yourself and
expensive if you get someone else to do it.

I done mine over about 6-8 months, running the scanner in the background and
feeding it a new strip about very every half a hour. Part of the process
was the scanning, but if you include the ICE process (to remove dust and
scratches), it takes longer. It worked out about 6-8 minutes per frame
(scanned at 16 bits per channel, max resolution, with ICE and saving as
TIFF, which were about 140MB each). 6-8 minutes may not sound like much,
but if you have thousands of photos, it's a big task. Also, this is just
the scanning process, there is also the post production to think of, which
will probably be about the same, unless you batch process.

I used a Nikon film scanner myself, which was handy because it allowed me to
just feeding the strips straight into the scanner without having to mount
them in a holder first. Before scanning, I would clean with a lint free
cloth, then blow the negs with a pressurized photographic air blower. Mind
you, my negs were already in very good condition, as I stored them in
special folders.

I done as you are planning to do and scan everything, then sort them
afterwards, although I didn't scan any photos that I knew were definitely
binners.

Old November 19th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Roberts

Ali wrote:

Scanning negatives is not a quick process if you do it yourself and
expensive if you get someone else to do it.

Scanning negatives or slides is a classic example of the
quality/speed/price choice: You get to pick any two of the three.

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com

Old November 19th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

ray wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 03:57:12 -0600, Cams wrote:

I'd like to go through my shoe boxes of photos and negatives and
digitize them all. I'm looking for advice on the best way of going
about this.

I'm looking to scan everything, rather than cherry picking
individual images, then process everything when it's done. Is
there a particular scanner that folks recommend for doing this
relatively quickly and easily? Ideally I'd like to have the
capability of scanning prints as well, in cases where I have
prints but no negatives.

You can't do it 'relatively quickly and easily'. If you have very
many, which it sounds like you do, it will be very time consuming
no matter what equipment you choose.

ray is right as rain: if you embark on such a project, be prepared to
become a slave to it. Often worth it in the end, but wrenching
drudgery when the excitement dies down.

My recommendation, as usual, is to buy good equipment (to be resold at
the end), learn to use it properly, and have an intern learn your
techniques and choices. Make quality control checks from time to time,
and revel in the hours /someone else/ is spending with your scanners.

--
Frank ess

Old November 20th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 5:13 pm, "Frank ess" wrote:
ray wrote:
[...]

I had this question a while back, and it appears that the use of a
film scanner appears to be the best solution. However, it will cost
money to get a decent film scanner. I recalled that the brand name of
scanner which someone suggested was either a Canon FS4000 ($1000) or
Nikon Coolscan (9000 ED is over $2000).
In addition to the cost, there are other two major problems with film
scanner: (1) 35mm film size is small, and any tiny dust of
imperfections will be magnified (2) time involved - film negatives
will be subjected to conversion to positive prints, and therefore will
require skill similar to the old fashioned darkroom skill. Perhaps
nowadays, it is much more automated and you did not play around with
chemical agents. However, you need some knowledge about colour and
therefore will end up doing things more that you planned to do.

I was initially thinking about a cheap scanner, but I was advised
against that and did not follow through. I ended up scanning colour
prints in a cheap scanner. It is much cheaper, but still take time and
quality is not that great. I did more than 1 regular postcard photo in
one shot, and then crop them into the siez of the photos. I usually do
it at 600 dpi or more, as the cropped image may be only a quarter of
an 8x11 size or even less (if you crammed 6 postcard photos in the
scanner screen of 8x11).

I even wonder if it is still cheaper and less time if I just order the
brand new prints from the negatives and then scanned the photos. It
may end up cheaper than buying a $2000 scanner (plus extra time
consumed). However, I have over 2000 photos to scan and if it cost $2
each, it will cost $4000!. It is amusing to note that if you ask the
photo lab to get digital files when you order your prints, it only
cost $2 more for the whole 36 photos. However, if it already cut into
6 strips, it is much more time for them to scan and get the digital
files, and the technician has to insert them one strip at a time.
Therefore the cost of $2 per photo. It is a time consuming job, either
using regular print scanner or even more if you have to use a film
scanner.

Hope that this help. I never purchase that expensive Canon or Nikon
film scanner. I heard that they are excellent, except expensive.
Remember again.. a tiny speckle in a small size negative or a smudge
will be magnified. Hoep that this help you. I do recall recently of an
Epson V700 ($500) or V750 M Pro ($800), but I don't know whether they
are as good as the more expensive Canon and Nikon film scanner. Note
that there is another discussion in this same newsgroup about this
same topic. Please read that one too.
Old November 20th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

wrote:
On Nov 19, 5:13 pm, "Frank ess" wrote:

My recommendation, as usual, is to buy good equipment (to be resold at
the end), learn to use it properly, and have an intern learn your
techniques and choices. Make quality control checks from time to time,
and revel in the hours /someone else/ is spending with your scanners.
Frank ess

Sensible advice. Although finding an "intern" is probably impossibleg.

I had this question a while back, and it appears that the use of a
film scanner appears to be the best solution. However, it will cost
money to get a decent film scanner. I recalled that the brand name of
scanner which someone suggested was either a Canon FS4000 ($1000) or
Nikon Coolscan (9000 ED is over $2000).

Uh, no. If all you need is 35mm, the Nikon Coolscan V is excellent and is
under US$600 new.

The Canon 4000 is discontinued and the Nikon 9000 is expensive because it
also scans medium format up to 56x86mm.

In addition to the cost, there are other two major problems with film
scanner: (1) 35mm film size is small, and any tiny dust of
imperfections will be magnified

This is only a problem with traditional B&W film, the ICE technology detects
and fixes dust imperfections during scanning for color films and C41 process
B&W films.

(2) time involved - film negatives
will be subjected to conversion to positive prints, and therefore will
require skill similar to the old fashioned darkroom skill.

It's not that bad. You get a positive image from the scanner. But you do
have to adjust it. It's very similar to the adjustments required during raw
conversion: black and white points, contrast, and color temperature
adjustments, noise reduction, resampling to size for printing, and
sharpening.

Hope that this help. I never purchase that expensive Canon or Nikon
film scanner. I heard that they are excellent, except expensive.
Remember again.. a tiny speckle in a small size negative or a smudge
will be magnified. Hoep that this help you. I do recall recently of an
Epson V700 ($500) or V750 M Pro ($800), but I don't know whether they
are as good as the more expensive Canon and Nikon film scanner.

The Epsons are roughly the same price or a bit more than the Coolscan V, and
not as good. But they can scan up to at least 4x5 film.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Film scanner JohnM Digital Photography 7 September 25th 06 04:00 AM
Scanning Kodak 126 film with film/slide scanner [email protected] Digital Photography 5 June 13th 06 12:27 AM
Is there a decent film scanner for 6x4.5 medium format film $500 or less? Rick Baker Digital Photography 6 March 17th 06 02:22 PM
epson (or others) flat bed scanner vs film scanner Albert Ma Digital Photography 1 October 30th 04 03:39 AM
FA: 35 mm Film Recorder and Film Scanner (starting at $1.00) Armin B. General Equipment For Sale 2 May 20th 04 12:04 AM