Increasing Crop Size on Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED

Old April 30th 05, 05:26 AM
David Gintz

Default Increasing Crop Size on Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED

Is it possible to INCREASE the size of the scanning area for the above
scanner? I've got some old slides (I think they are 126 format or something
like that) which are in 2 inch mounts just as are my 35mm slides. The film
area is higher and narrower than a 35mm slide however. I'd like to be able
to set the width and height to be the same as the width of a 35mm slide and
then crop the resultant images in Photoshop later.

I have seen how to decrease the scanning area but not how to increase it.
(Maybe this scanner doesn't support that - I'll have to check the manual, I
guess.) How would one scan the 126 slides?

TIA

- Dave

Old April 30th 05, 05:39 AM
David Gintz

Obviously, I should have read the manual first - this device will only scan
35mm slides! (Or part of 126 slides.)

Old April 30th 05, 05:05 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"David Gintz" writes:

Obviously, I should have read the manual first - this device will only scan
35mm slides! (Or part of 126 slides.)

Or anything smaller, using the film-strip holder in the slide adapter,
possibly with some improvisation. But not anything bigger; that's set
by the optics of the unit.

I suspect you're dealing with 127 "super-slides", actually.

Old May 1st 05, 12:27 AM
David Gintz

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
"David Gintz" writes:

Obviously, I should have read the manual first - this device will only
scan
35mm slides! (Or part of 126 slides.)

Or anything smaller, using the film-strip holder in the slide adapter,
possibly with some improvisation. But not anything bigger; that's set
by the optics of the unit.

I suspect you're dealing with 127 "super-slides", actually.

Could be 127 format but I don't know. My wife shot them with her old camera
back in the 70s. They're 2x2 inch slide mounts with the actual film size of
around 1 1/8 inch x 1 1/8 inch.

Anyway, I know I can't scan the whole image area of those slides in with the
4000. Silly me.

Old May 1st 05, 08:47 AM
Tony

Unless you want to spend a lot more on a medium format scanner you will
have to do it in two passes - shifting the slide 90 degrees and then doing
your best to re-assemble the scans - it ain't a pleasure.
I do this with panoramics, but the re-assembly takes long enough that with
the square format I just have the client pick the way he or she wants it
scanned and lose the extra. If I scan both ways I charge for both scans. and
so far nobody has wanted to pay me to do a re-assembly job.
The slides sound like "Instamatic" which has a picture size of 27x27mm
or a shade more. There is simply no way to broaden the scanning area of a
film scanner beyond the maximum it was designed for.
I have a flatbed with a light top I can use for it now - the Canon 9900.
This will scan up to two 6x6 slides at a time - considerably larger than
your 126 slides. It was not too expensive when I got it over a year ago, so
that might be the route to go. I've never used mine for scanning med format
(or instamatic). I do very little work for others these days. The scanner
does pretty well on 35mm film (I use it for "contact" scans, but not as well
as a dedicated film scanner. I still use my film scanner for "final" scans.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto