Aperture issue

Old January 28th 05, 10:16 PM

Default Aperture issue

If I were to manually set my aperture to it's highest level, that would give
me the least depth correct? Which also means that if I'm taking a picture of
some thing fairly close everything behind it would be blurry? I'm assuming
this is what it does.

I want to take a picture of some thing pretty close, but have the entire
background very blurry. I would imagine setting my aperture level to a very
high level to get this effect. Am I right to be thinking like that?

Old January 28th 05, 10:26 PM
Dennis Bradley

wrote in message
If I were to manually set my aperture to it's highest level, that would
give
me the least depth correct? Which also means that if I'm taking a picture
of
some thing fairly close everything behind it would be blurry? I'm assuming
this is what it does.

I want to take a picture of some thing pretty close, but have the entire
background very blurry. I would imagine setting my aperture level to a
very
high level to get this effect. Am I right to be thinking like that?

Unsure what you mean by highest level of aperture.

High number, such as f22, represent a small aperture which gives pictures
with greater depth of field.
Low numbers, such as f2.8 represents a larger aperture giving smaller depth
of field.

So, use smaller f numbers to throw foreground and background out of focus.

Hope that clarifies

Old January 28th 05, 10:27 PM
Winston

It depends how close you're talking...6" or 60 feet & how big the
subject is...a fly or a house? All things being equal, the lower the
number on the aperture (f2, f2.8, etc.) the LESS depth of field you'll
have. The bigger the number (f11, f16, etc.) the MORE depth of field
you'll have. ALSO....the longer your lens is, the LESS depth of field
you'll have, but this gets techy so that's all I'll say about that.

Winston

Old January 28th 05, 10:31 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:16:03 -0500, wrote:

If I were to manually set my aperture to it's highest level, that would give
me the least depth correct? Which also means that if I'm taking a picture of
some thing fairly close everything behind it would be blurry? I'm assuming
this is what it does.

Wooo dude, stop being so confusing.

Highest level? what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Lingo you need to learn:

Aperture is wide open: something around f1.2 to f4.5 (the lowest
number on the ring, largest hole, most light). Gives the shallowest
depth of field (only the exact subject that has been focused on will
be in focus, objects nearer or further get blurred).

Aperture is shut right down: something around f22 to f32 (the highest
number on the ring, smallest hole, least light). Nearly everything,
from close subjects to far will be in focus.

I want to take a picture of some thing pretty close, but have the entire
background very blurry. I would imagine setting my aperture level to a very
high level to get this effect. Am I right to be thinking like that?

You'll want the aperture set to it's lowest numerical value. f1.2 to
f4 (depending on your lens's capability).

For *sharpest* photos, based on the designer's limitations, use f8.

You are more interested in aperture than shutter speed, so set your
camera to use Aperture priority mode (Usually, 'Av' or 'A' rather than
'Tv' or 'S', 'M' or 'P').

--
Owamanga!
Old January 28th 05, 10:33 PM
Jeremy

wrote in message
If I were to manually set my aperture to it's highest level, that would

give
me the least depth correct?

Opening the aperture up to fully-open should give you the effect you want.
But some lenses will do this better than others.

Old January 28th 05, 11:27 PM

Sorry for making it confusing. Once I get the "lingo" correct, then it will
be easier for me to ask questions and navigate through the verbiage easier.
Level, which I meant aperture setting. f2, f2.5, etc...

Since I was correct on assuming this is what the aperture setting does I
will play around with it and make use of my camera's settings. I'm still in
the learning phase, to which I'll be for a long time. The more I use my
Nikon D70, the more happy I am with it. Knowing how fast and nice regular
film SLR's are...this one is excellent and certainly no waiting. I'm loving
it now.

Thanks!

Old January 28th 05, 11:50 PM
Roland Karlsson

wrote in :

I'm still in
the learning phase, to which I'll be for a long time.

As a matter of fact the old all manual and mechanical
cameras had a much easier learning curve when it came
to things like aperture and Depth of Field etc. There
you saw exactly what happened when you turned the aperture
ring. At F2.8 it was wide open and at F32 it was at its
smallest. And the smallest aperture (F32) have a much
more narrow cone of light hitting the film (oops - sensor)
which means that the DOF is larger.

Now you push some buttons or turn some wheels or just let
the automatic exposure take care of it. Much harder to
understand what is happening then.

BTW - your D70 has a DOF preview function. You can use that to
see the DOF directly in the finder.

/Roland
Old January 29th 05, 05:08 AM
cc0112453

First lets agree on terminology. When you say "highest level" I must assume
that you mean that the aperture is wide open? A wide open aperture would be
represented by a number such as F2.8. As the aperture becomes smaller the
number becomes larger. The smallest aperture being something like F22.
Your assumption was correct, the "highest level" gives you the least depth
of field. It would be more properly stated "the widest aperture gives you
the least depth of field".