The new Pentax ist DS

Old December 30th 04, 02:57 PM
Darrell

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
Bruce Lewis writes:
Just to clarify -- this means some kind of lossless compression is being
done on the RAW files, right? Six megapixels at 24 bits each should be
18 megabytes of uncompressed data.

There are usually just 10 or 12 bits at each pixel. In a RAW file
there's not a separate R, G, and B value at each pixel. Each pixel
is exactly one of R, G, or B, not all three.

My *ist D (same sensor as DS) produces a 14.5MB 12 BIT RAW file. The * ist
DS produces a 11.4 MB RAW, Pentax applies a different algorithm so the RAW
files are a tad smaller.

Old December 30th 04, 03:04 PM
Paul Rubin

"Darrell" writes:
My *ist D (same sensor as DS) produces a 14.5MB 12 BIT RAW file. The * ist
DS produces a 11.4 MB RAW, Pentax applies a different algorithm so the RAW
files are a tad smaller.

My guess is the D is storing a jpeg file along with the RAW, and it's
storing 16 bits per pixel even though it's a 12 bit sensor.
Old December 30th 04, 03:57 PM
Darrell

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
"Darrell" writes:
My *ist D (same sensor as DS) produces a 14.5MB 12 BIT RAW file. The *

ist
DS produces a 11.4 MB RAW, Pentax applies a different algorithm so the

RAW
files are a tad smaller.

My guess is the D is storing a jpeg file along with the RAW, and it's
storing 16 bits per pixel even though it's a 12 bit sensor.

AFAIK the Pentax * istD doesn't store a jpeg with the RAW. I am not sure why
it has the biggest 12 bit RAW in it's class.I can store 70 RAW images on my
1 GB CF card, with the *ist DS it will store 90 on a 1 GB SD card.

Old December 30th 04, 05:12 PM
Jim Redelfs

In article , "Darrell"
wrote:

My *ist D (same sensor as DS) produces a 14.5MB 12 BIT RAW file. The * ist
DS produces a 11.4 MB RAW, Pentax applies a different algorithm so the RAW
files are a tad smaller.

With my Canon 20D, the largest RAW file is 9.1mb on my 80gb drive. FWIW.

JR

Old January 1st 05, 01:43 PM
Tony H

"Darrell" wrote:

AFAIK the Pentax * istD doesn't store a jpeg with the RAW.

Apparently the istD RAW does include an embedded JPEG within it. This
can be used by viewers to display the image without having to decode
the RAW file in its entirety. I recently bought one of those
Phototainer storage devices which makes use of this feature to display
istD RAWs.

TH

Old January 1st 05, 02:45 PM
John Bean

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:43:17 GMT, Tony H wrote:

"Darrell" wrote:

AFAIK the Pentax * istD doesn't store a jpeg with the RAW.

Apparently the istD RAW does include an embedded JPEG within it. This
can be used by viewers to display the image without having to decode
the RAW file in its entirety. I recently bought one of those
Phototainer storage devices which makes use of this feature to display
istD RAWs.

Correct - but it stores more than one - full resolution, VGA, and thumnail.

--
John Bean

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them (Isaac Asimov)

Old January 1st 05, 06:25 PM
Darrell

"Tony H" wrote in message
"Darrell" wrote:

AFAIK the Pentax * istD doesn't store a jpeg with the RAW.

Apparently the istD RAW does include an embedded JPEG within it. This
can be used by viewers to display the image without having to decode
the RAW file in its entirety. I recently bought one of those
Phototainer storage devices which makes use of this feature to display
istD RAWs.

TH

I haven't read that in the manual or elsewhere. I had to download a free
plug-in from Cerious so Thumbsplus could display RAW files. I will have to
try it with the Epson 2000P when we get some in.