The new Pentax ist DS

Old December 30th 04, 01:33 AM

Default The new Pentax ist DS

I am very interested in Pentax's new ist DS digital SLR they have out. It's
got a 2inch LCD display on it and a it's a very tight compact size, which I
like. Much smaller then the Nikkon D70 and Canon Digital Rebel. I use to own
a Canon Digital Rebel, but sold it a while back to invest in another camera
or maybe possibly the same one. I really loved the Digital Rebel, but I
always like to try new hardware and stuff because in my mind there's always
some thing better. Which of course in the camera world is true, since you
can spend ENDLESS amounts of money on a camera.

Anyway, I may have posted some thing similar here recently but my news
server (forte) had a problem with my account, so I had to reconfigure
another account and download all the headers back again.

Has anyone had experience with the new Pentax ist DS and I assume it's just
as good or better then the Canon Digital Rebel I use to own? I'm not worried
about the insignificant features that really won't matter since basically
both have the same (Pentax actually has some more) and they pretty much
operate very much the same. Would it be dumb to buy the digital rebel again
rather then spending a little extra on the new Pentax? I'm not a
professional but expectations of good image quality is of course high when
spending over $1000 on any camera.

If you have any information or comments regarding the new Pentax ist DS
model please let me know about them and/or any other information you think
may be helpful.

I read some reviews already one which was from Steve's Digicam website and
that was plentiful with lots of information.....but lacked a strong opinion
view on it.

Well, thank you and happy new year!!!!

Old December 30th 04, 02:43 AM
Steve

I don't have one yet, but in reading about the ist DS, the biggest drawback
seems to be that it only uses SD cards and the largest SD card I've seen is
512 megs. If you only shoot hi-res jpg's then it shouldn't be too big a
problem, but if you intend to play with RAW files you'll need a pocketful of
SD cards. Just my two pennies.

Steve

Old December 30th 04, 02:47 AM
Kenneth Miller

Just about every SD card manufacturer makes 1 GB cards now and I have
seen hints that the 2GB ones should be out fairly soon .

Ken Miler

Old December 30th 04, 02:32 PM
Bruce Lewis

"Pete D" writes:

Close Steve but no banana. There is 1Gig SD cards and the RAW files are only
10 Meg so just how many cards did you need?

Just to clarify -- this means some kind of lossless compression is being
done on the RAW files, right? Six megapixels at 24 bits each should be
18 megabytes of uncompressed data.

I have a Pentax K-1000 with a couple of lenses, so if/when I shell out
the money for a DSLR it will likely be a Pentax.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.
Sign up today for a 7-day free trial.

Old December 30th 04, 02:37 PM
Paul Rubin

Bruce Lewis writes:
Just to clarify -- this means some kind of lossless compression is being
done on the RAW files, right? Six megapixels at 24 bits each should be
18 megabytes of uncompressed data.

There are usually just 10 or 12 bits at each pixel. In a RAW file
there's not a separate R, G, and B value at each pixel. Each pixel
is exactly one of R, G, or B, not all three.
Old December 30th 04, 02:53 PM
John Bean

On 30 Dec 2004 08:32:25 -0500, Bruce Lewis wrote:

"Pete D" writes:

Close Steve but no banana. There is 1Gig SD cards and the RAW files are only
10 Meg so just how many cards did you need?

Just to clarify -- this means some kind of lossless compression is being
done on the RAW files, right? Six megapixels at 24 bits each should be
18 megabytes of uncompressed data.

I have a Pentax K-1000 with a couple of lenses, so if/when I shell out
the money for a DSLR it will likely be a Pentax.

3008x2008 = 6040064 (12-bit) pixels

Assuming it packs the data - unlike the *istD - this stores into 9060096
8-bit bytes (8.6MB), without compression. The file also contains several
JPEGs plus the usual TIFF format headers and EXIF, but there's no need for
compression to achieve a 10MB filesize.

--
John Bean

Bacchus hath drowned more men than Neptune (Thomas Fuller)