How big is YOUR card ?

Old December 7th 04, 12:16 AM
Ken Weitzel

I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

Hi...

The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
expand to fill the space available for their storage"

Yes, have several. Perhaps one large (relatively expensive)
one, and a few smaller ones.

If you should lose one, as a recent poster did, you haven't
lost everything.

If one should fail, as all things sooner or later do, you
won't have lost everything.

And if you're fortunate enough to live in a wonderful
community such as mine, you'll have "loaners".
Whichever of your relatives or neighbors is going off on
vacation gets to take them all - except for one of the
smaller ones you keep on hand for local photo ops.

Just my opinion.

Ken

Old December 7th 04, 12:40 AM
Skip M

"RJ" wrote in message

I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

rj

It depends on what image quality setting you have your camera on, and what
its max resolution is. My 8mp 20D gets about 260 images on a 1 Gig card at
Lg/Fine JPEG, and about 110 on RAW, 1000 on sm/normal. If your camera is
about 5mp and you have it on small/normal, you may get 800+ images on a
512meg card. Set your res higher, you'll get better pics, and utilize the
size of the card. Capacities are guesses based on my D30/256m card and
20D/1g card.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 7th 04, 12:47 AM
tomcas

Marcel wrote:
You don't want to change cards or worry about the numbers. You take your
shots, whatever the number. You cull afterwards, yet you want to review the
best shots later and the more shots you have, the better your chances of
getting great souvenirs.
Marcel

You have a good point but it can be risky putting all your souvenirs in
one basket.

Old December 7th 04, 12:57 AM
PeterL

"RJ" wrote in message

I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

6 months post graduation travel in Europe.

rj