A SELF-SERVING RESPONSE

Old December 10th 04, 03:31 PM
Cynicor

"Aerticeus" wrote:
RJ wrote:
KODAK sells a DC adaptor for their cameras.

Figuring I could do as well with a RadioShack product,
I wrote to KODAK asking for the DC requirements of the camera. Here's
their response;

We only recommend usage of KODAK AC Adapter for KODAK Digital Cameras.
Please note that using non-recommended power adapters could result in
fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the
warranty. KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras.

I guess the volt/milliamp requirements will remain a secret. ;o)

Maybe it's just the way of the world an avoiding lawsuits?

burgerbar - hot coffee spillage - a million bucks

are some phrases that spring to mind

Yes, you should use only genuine Kodak accessories to avoid...uh...never
mind.
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/accessories/ac/

Kodak is conducting a voluntary recall on the optional AC adapters
manufactured by ELPAC Electronics, Inc., that were supplied as a digital
camera accessory to KODAK DC25, DC40, DC50 and DC120 Digital Cameras. If
these ELPAC AC adapters are not fully plugged into the digital camera, it
may cause the batteries to overheat, leak acid and possibly explode. This
condition could result in thermal burns, chemical burns, or lacerations.

If it's this one though
(http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Kodak_5...3.html?tag=tab),
it's one of the increasingly popular 5-volt types. I've swapped between
devices on these (Archos MP3 player, Fujifilm camera, iPaq Pocket PC),
although they DO have different tip sizes sometimes.

Old December 14th 04, 11:21 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings RJ,

The response is in place as Kodak can only control the quality of the power
that comes from one of its adapters. I am quite sure that the others are
equal in terms of output and so on, but there is no way for Kodak to
determine this for sure and include that in their warranty. Warranties are
legal documents and so must be very accurate, especially when your are
talking about electricity.

Also, as you know, there are many who have plugged in an adapter from one
device thinking it to be same for another, only to find out that it is quite
different and that it damaged their device.

That is the reason why Kodak will support only its own. Not for gain or
profit. The power required by digital devices is quite specific and so
requires very specific power. Nothing that says you can't use some other
power supply, but not inside the warranty of the camera.

Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"RJ" wrote in message

KODAK sells a DC adaptor for their cameras.

Figuring I could do as well with a RadioShack product,
I wrote to KODAK asking for the DC requirements
of the camera. Here's their response;

We only recommend usage of KODAK AC Adapter for KODAK Digital Cameras.
Please note that using non-recommended power adapters could result in
fire, electrical shock, or damage to your camera that would void the
warranty. KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the
specific voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras.

I guess the volt/milliamp requirements will remain a secret. ;o)

rj

Old December 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Jer

Ron Baird wrote:
[....]

Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

For you too Ron, your family, and everyone else on your end, best wishes
for a safe holiday.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old December 15th 04, 05:56 AM
Jer

Bill wrote:

Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.

For you too Ron, your family, and everyone else on your end, best wishes
for a safe holiday.

Screw that!

I want to get all liquored up, beat the girlfriend, kick my neighbour's
dog, puke on the christmas decorations, and then pass out under the
tree!!

...umm...wait...is this not the anger management group?

....umm... could be... last year we had a fella that wanted to get his
neighbour all liquored up, puke on his dog, kick a tree, beat the
christmas decorations, and pass out under his girlfriend - but he
flunked cuz he couldn't plan his way past the first step. )

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old December 15th 04, 08:04 PM
Big Bill

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:45:52 -0500, Bill wrote:

Have a good holiday, everyone, talk to you soon.

For you too Ron, your family, and everyone else on your end, best wishes
for a safe holiday.

Screw that!

I want to get all liquored up, beat the girlfriend, kick my neighbour's
dog, puke on the christmas decorations, and then pass out under the
tree!!

Interesting.
Most want to get all likkered up, screw the dog, puke on the
girlfriend, burn the tree, and pass out wherever is most convenient.
(Usually on the neighbor's yard.)
I guess it depends on what you use for the first step. :-)

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"