A SELF-SERVING RESPONSE

Old December 3rd 04, 03:44 PM
Michael A. Covington

"David J Taylor" wrote in message
Charles Schuler wrote:
"KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras."

That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!

Actually, I seem to recall some legal wrangling back in the 1980s.

For years, Kodak only recommended Kodak developer, stop bath, fixer, etc.,
for processing Kodak films.

For some reason (lawsuit?) they then started inserting a statement in every
instruction sheet to the effect that "comparable products from other
manufacturers can yield comparable results" or words to that effect. I.e.,
you aren't actually required to use Kodak stop bath with your Kodak film.

I don't know the history of this.

It further reminds me of the very early days of phonograph records (the
1920s or so), when they actually exhorted you to use a needle of the same
brand as the record. In a few cases there were compatibility issues
(different needle sizes) but mostly it was just a misleading statement to
boost sales.

Old December 3rd 04, 11:13 PM
Charles Schuler

Charles Schuler wrote:
"KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras."

That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!

It depends.

If they are just using a two-wire cable delivering DC then you are right.

But suppose that have some three-wire connector with feedback from inside
the camera? /If/ that were the case, a random wall-wart power supply
would /not/ be compatible.

Good point! Is it engineering or marketing?

Old December 3rd 04, 11:21 PM
Ken Weitzel

Charles Schuler wrote:

"KODAK AC Adapters will be the only one to deliver the specific
voltage and current required by specific KODAK Cameras."

That portion of their reply is absolute horse puckey!

It depends.

If they are just using a two-wire cable delivering DC then you are right.

But suppose that have some three-wire connector with feedback from inside
the camera? /If/ that were the case, a random wall-wart power supply
would /not/ be compatible.

Good point! Is it engineering or marketing?

Hi...

Anything inside the wallwart that used feedback from the
camera would change its designation from an ac adaptor to
a power supply.

This in turn would negate the advantage (to Kodak) of
using one - the lower cost of having it approved by
CSA (your country SA) [the whole camera would require
electrical approval]

Take care.

Ken

Old December 3rd 04, 11:48 PM
Charles Schuler

Anything inside the wallwart that used feedback from the
camera would change its designation from an ac adaptor to
a power supply.

This in turn would negate the advantage (to Kodak) of
using one - the lower cost of having it approved by
CSA (your country SA) [the whole camera would require
electrical approval]

So, Ken, I can assume it is indeed Kodak horsepucky?

Old December 4th 04, 07:16 AM
jdc

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message ...
Anything inside the wallwart that used feedback from the
camera would change its designation from an ac adaptor to
a power supply.

This in turn would negate the advantage (to Kodak) of
using one - the lower cost of having it approved by
CSA (your country SA) [the whole camera would require
electrical approval]

So, Ken, I can assume it is indeed Kodak horsepucky?

It may not be horsepucky on the part of Kodak but rather horsepucky
(laziness) on the part of the help desk/tech support person.