SLIDES ( again )

Old December 17th 04, 08:08 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Hart,

I suspect that you could use your camera to do this but it will not be the
kind of digital image quality you might expect from your camera. Rather,
you are going to be much happier, if the content of the slides are really
valuable to you, by being selective and getting the slides scanned on of
film/slide scanner. The service should clean your slides as well. It would
be worth having a service scan a few slides while you try capturing the same
slides on your camera. You can then evaluate and decide which is the best
way to go for the money. If you have a great many, then consider a good
scanner with a slide copy feature. There are a good many of them out there
and at a good price.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

I've got boxes of 35mm slides in the closet.

I really don't want to buy a slide scanner.
It seems I should be able to use my KODAK 7330 camera
to do some slide copying.

Has anyone experimented with this ?

I'm thinking;
board with camera mounted at one end
magifying lens
slide holder
light source

???

Old December 18th 04, 10:43 AM
Roger

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:08:54 -0500, "Ron Baird"
wrote:

Greetings Hart,

I suspect that you could use your camera to do this but it will not be the
kind of digital image quality you might expect from your camera. Rather,
you are going to be much happier, if the content of the slides are really
valuable to you, by being selective and getting the slides scanned on of
film/slide scanner.

Agreed

The service should clean your slides as well. It would

They charge extra for this and if the scans are to be of high quality
you are looking at close to a dollar (USD) per image. It can get
expensive fast. More with cleaning.

be worth having a service scan a few slides while you try capturing the same
slides on your camera. You can then evaluate and decide which is the best
way to go for the money. If you have a great many, then consider a good
scanner with a slide copy feature. There are a good many of them out there
and at a good price.

When you say a good scanner with the slide copy feature? So far,
dedicated slide and film scanners do a much better job on film and
slides than a flat bed with an adapter that allows the copying of
slides and negatives.

Copying slides and or negatives can be a very tedious process.
Then there is the storage medium and the naming conventions.

it can be a lot of work.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old December 23rd 04, 08:30 PM
Ron Baird

Hi Roger,

You are quite right, Roger, it can be expensive to buy a film scanner and
not just a flatbed with a scanner feature, though some of them are pretty
good. I suspect that trying one to see if the scans are acceptable to you
might be a good idea? If you like the results, you are all set. If not,
you can invest in a higher priced scanner. I would think twice about that
if you are not going to be using it much after scanning the slides you
already have. It may well be possible to get high res scans of your slides
for less money than a scanner might cost, plus you would not have to do the
work.

Of course, if you are going to be using the scanner afterwards, then the
film scanner would be for you.

Talk to you soon, Roger,
Let me know if you have questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

wrote:

Greetings Hart,

I suspect that you could use your camera to do this but it will not be

the
kind of digital image quality you might expect from your camera. Rather,
you are going to be much happier, if the content of the slides are really
valuable to you, by being selective and getting the slides scanned on of
film/slide scanner.

Agreed

The service should clean your slides as well. It would

Scanning slides vs Prints [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 9 November 5th 04 10:23 PM
Scanning Slides Ed Mullikin Digital Photography 8 October 13th 04 11:27 AM
Old slides v recent slides [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 11 September 29th 04 02:28 AM
Dark Slides don't fit ARE NOT X-RAY Slides Ken Smith Large Format Photography Equipment 1 January 23rd 04 05:45 PM
getting accurate results from slides Faisal Bhua Film & Labs 2 January 5th 04 11:16 PM