Comments on Maxxum D7 spec

Old September 16th 04, 10:41 AM
Ryadia_

Considering it appears to have the equal of a Canon 'Pro kit' built into it
and the lenses at half the price of Canon's... I am now extremely interested
in one. I'm afraid I have never been totally happy with my 10D or the D60
before it. The sale of my Canon lenses would easiely cover the cost of
moving back to a Minolta base.

Ryadia
------------
"Ian Burley" wrote in message
We have UK pricing and availability in a news story at:

http://dpnow.com/1069.html

We're also interested in what people think of the new 7D.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
www.dpnow.com

Old September 16th 04, 05:03 PM
Alan Browne

Ian Burley wrote:

We have UK pricing and availability in a news story at:

http://dpnow.com/1069.html

Those prices, like Jessops, are sticker shock... in another
thread I compared prices between B&H & Jessops for two other
cameras and found Jessops to be 1.4 to 1.7X more expensive than
B&H... so I expect that the 7D will be likewise less pricey here
in N.A. compared to the old world. You guys simply pay way too
much for everything in the UK.

We're also interested in what people think of the new 7D.

All in all looks great. A couple nits and a couple unanswered
questions (does it have a DOF? ... appears to but it is not
written in the spec).

The real test is in eating the pudding, of course. There are two
images posted which reveal overall competence. But I'd like to
see some more shots and shots at high ISO as well.

warning: large files (4+ and 5+ MB resp.).
http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...eimage001.html
http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...eimage002.html

Old September 16th 04, 05:04 PM
Alan Browne

Ryadia_ wrote:

Considering it appears to have the equal of a Canon 'Pro kit' built into it
and the lenses at half the price of Canon's... I am now extremely interested
in one. I'm afraid I have never been totally happy with my 10D or the D60
before it. The sale of my Canon lenses would easiely cover the cost of
moving back to a Minolta base.

Ryadia

Where do you live Ryadia? You can be sure that UK prices will be
about the highest, esp. compared to the US.

Old September 16th 04, 05:11 PM
Alan Browne

Ryadia_ wrote:
So the major benefits? The first is the body mounted autofocus motor. Not
only does this make focus speed the same over the whole lens range but it
reduces the weight and cost of lenses. I currently own a 70~200 f2.8 Canon
lens. I have no doubt it's high cost is because both the focus motor and the
image stabiliser are in the lens.

The Minolta 80-200 f/2.8 is not exactly a bargain (but it's a
damned fine lens). Regarding the focus motors I don't think it
has that much impact ont he price. That is market driven more
than cost driven.

I will definitely give this new camera plenty of consideration when it's
released. Not the least reason being it's high ISO rating. Canon's big
downfall is the way it's sensors lose detail at high ISOs when the subject
is under exposed. Any gains in this area are sure to get attention.

Physics being physics, don't expect miracles wrt high ISO and
noise. There is no reason for it to be significantly better than
the Nikon or Canons in the class, and frankly I'll be very happy
if Minolta manage to simply match either in this regard.

There are lots of old Pros still in business who would move back the Minolta
if they can still deliver the goods.

Don't concur. Minolta have a limited range of high performance
lenses. Which, depite the high quality of same, doesn't cover
enough sits for a pro with a broad portfolio. The pros who
currently use Minolta will be happy, but few converts will result.

This new camera is aimed squarely at me and others with high
value lens collections.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 18th 04, 05:03 AM
Crow T Robot

Will there be an earlier release date for the USA or will it be a single
worldwide release???

"Ian Burley" wrote in message
We have UK pricing and availability in a news story at:

http://dpnow.com/1069.html

We're also interested in what people think of the new 7D.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
www.dpnow.com

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .

Well the spec is out and we are pleased. Of course the Canon 20D now
leads this segment of the market and it will probably take Minolta a
while to catch up ... if at all ... (the encouraging note here is that
the A1 went from 5 to 8 MP within months ... but a different sensor size
of course). The highs and lows a

The D7 (whether Maxxum or Dynax depending on where you live) has a very
strong spec. Using (we assume) the same Sony CCD sensor as the Nikon
D100/D70 and getting the same resolution and pixel numbers with a 12 bit
ADC. A fixed low pass filter is employed.

The high point wrt the sensor integration is that it will have a slow
sensitivity of ISO 100 and reach up to 3200.

The real bonus here is of course that the sensor is mounted on the
Anti-shake technology first deployed by Minolta on the A1 and A2 SLR-like
predecessors. This will give anti-shake margin of at least 2 stops, 3
stops is claimed by K-M. So all my lenses will benefit.

The system employs about all of the over achieving specifications of the
film Maxxum 7 with a few minor sacrifices (below).

Flash sync is a bit slow, with 1/160 (A-S off) and 1/125 with AS on.
This is a 1/3 stop margin between A-S on and off, so it would seem in the
studio that 1/125 with A-S on will result in cleaner handheld studio
shots than at 1/160 ...not accounting for subject motion of course.

I'm disappointed, K-M should have had a quicker sync speed, at least
1/200 and 1/300 from the Maxxum 9 would have been preferred.

The max shutter speed is 1/4000 which again is odd, as the Max 7 has a
1/8,000 shutter speed. In practical terms this is no real problem.

The link above says "DOF" unknown. But previous releases indicate that
DOF preview is included. Let's hope that K-M have not dropped this ball
(the photos provided hide the position where the DOF button is located).

Viewfinder: The spec says 95% and this has me perplexed. If this is the
Max 7 frame then with a 1.5X crop the viewfinder should be something well
in excess of 100%. I hope that K-M have not crippled the VF as the spec
here seems to indicate. (Could be they just copied over the Max 7 spec
without adjustment for the sensor ... I hope so).

Flash covers all the bases from the built-in flash, wireless flash and a
PC sync terminal.

In a nutshell, a great first DSLR from K-M (Yeah I know it isn't really
the first one, but few people bought their expensive kludge of a few
years ago... the RD-175).

So, the two big questions remain:

WHEN? Maybe Photokina will reveal this...

HOW MUCH? as above...

The spec appears to have been rushed out to me and is possibly a reaction
to the release of the Pentax *ist DS announcemnt of a couple days ago.
K-M seem to continuously be in reaction mode.

Cheers,
Alan