Cold-Weather Hiking Camera: Recommendations?

Old August 14th 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Default Cold-Weather Hiking Camera: Recommendations?

I know somebody who is going to Nepal in November on a hiking trip and
wants to take a digital camera with them.

They are kind of fixated on the Sony RX100-ii.

If you took everything I know about digital cameras, rolled it into a
ball, and set it on the edge of a razor blade; it would look like a golf
ball in the middle of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Having said that...

I am trying to tell them that they should think seriously about water
tolerance - maybe IP-66 or something. Also, they are going to be hiking
in snow at altitude (12,000-18,000 feet!) with temperatures sometimes
below zero and I am guessing that the temp will play a roll too.... and
then there is battery charging/replacement.... and on-and-on.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old August 14th 15, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeteCresswell:
If you took everything I know about digital cameras, rolled it into a
ball, and set it on the edge of a razor blade; it would look like a golf
ball in the middle of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Which is to say, it would fall into a pothole.

Having said that...

I am trying to tell them that they should think seriously about water
tolerance - maybe IP-66 or something. Also, they are going to be hiking
in snow at altitude (12,000-18,000 feet!) with temperatures sometimes
below zero and I am guessing that the temp will play a roll too.... and
then there is battery charging/replacement.... and on-and-on.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Pros on expense accounts have bearers to carry spare equipment--bodies,
charged batteries, and what-not, by the ton. Especially batteries when
they face extreme cold. Best your friend hire at least one person to
carry batteries, and that batteries and camera bodies be insulated from
the cold. Such a trek is photographically very difficult without a base
camp or a series of base camps with electric generators. Solar chargers
are an option, but portable ones tend to have low capacity.

Ultimate recommendation: a vacation at Caneel Bay, a luxurious and
lovely tropical resort on St. John, USVI.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 14th 15, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 23:14:27 -0400, Davoud wrote:

PeteCresswell:
[...]

That's interesting. My 70-year-old wife is planning joining a
tour/expedition to Nepal to see a snow leopard in the wild. She is
talking 18,000 ft also. (She's mad).

Her thoughts are presently to take her Canon G12.

Eric Stevens
Old August 14th 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:17:30 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I know somebody who is going to Nepal in November on a hiking trip and
wants to take a digital camera with them.

They are kind of fixated on the Sony RX100-ii.

If you took everything I know about digital cameras, rolled it into a
ball, and set it on the edge of a razor blade; it would look like a golf
ball in the middle of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Having said that...

I am trying to tell them that they should think seriously about water
tolerance - maybe IP-66 or something. Also, they are going to be hiking
in snow at altitude (12,000-18,000 feet!) with temperatures sometimes
below zero and I am guessing that the temp will play a roll too.... and
then there is battery charging/replacement.... and on-and-on.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Take a camera and keep it warm inside several layers except when actually
in use. Cold weather will grossly reduce the battery useability.
Old August 14th 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

I know somebody who is going to Nepal in November on a hiking trip and
wants to take a digital camera with them.

They are kind of fixated on the Sony RX100-ii.

If you took everything I know about digital cameras, rolled it into a
ball, and set it on the edge of a razor blade; it would look like a golf
ball in the middle of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Having said that...

I am trying to tell them that they should think seriously about water
tolerance - maybe IP-66 or something. Also, they are going to be hiking
in snow at altitude (12,000-18,000 feet!) with temperatures sometimes
below zero and I am guessing that the temp will play a roll too.... and
then there is battery charging/replacement.... and on-and-on.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I spent 4 days at 10,000 - 13,000ft in the snow at bitter cold at times. I
took my 3 day old 7D mk2 and a 10-22 and a couple of batteries. I took about
750 photos and didn't need to use the second battery even though the camera
was either in my hand or on a strap clip on my rucksack.
Some people may not want to carry that much but if I'm going to all that
effort I'm gonna take the best equipment I can.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uemu0h9vji...13.15.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bb5lg232j...19.36.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/purzx5fmv4...18.48.jpg?dl=0

--
sid
Old August 14th 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

That's interesting. My 70-year-old wife is planning joining a
tour/expedition to Nepal to see a snow leopard in the wild. She is
talking 18,000 ft also. (She's mad).

Her thoughts are presently to take her Canon G12.

I hope she has plans to properly acclimate to the altitude. I live at
4500 ft and doing much above about 10,000 is taxing.

Old August 14th 15, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray carter
wrote:

That's interesting. My 70-year-old wife is planning joining a
tour/expedition to Nepal to see a snow leopard in the wild. She is
talking 18,000 ft also. (She's mad).

Her thoughts are presently to take her Canon G12.

I hope she has plans to properly acclimate to the altitude. I live at
4500 ft and doing much above about 10,000 is taxing.

10k is not a big deal and is only slightly higher than an airplane's
pressure (8k).

if you *live* at 4500 ft and have problems with 10k, you may have
respiratory problems.

i was in colorado springs for less than a day before i went to the top
of pikes peak (14k ft) without issue.

18k is definitely a bigger concern but many people handle it just fine.
Old August 14th 15, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Eric Stevens:
... 70-year-old...talking 18,000 ft also. (She's mad).

I would be seriously concerned about that. From what little I know it
sounds suicidal for somebody that old. Maybe you could connect her to
some more expert advice on the subject.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old August 14th 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-14 17:49:19 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On 14 Aug 2015 16:05:59 GMT, ray carter wrote:

That's interesting. My 70-year-old wife is planning joining a
tour/expedition to Nepal to see a snow leopard in the wild. She is
talking 18,000 ft also. (She's mad).

Her thoughts are presently to take her Canon G12.

I hope she has plans to properly acclimate to the altitude. I live at
4500 ft and doing much above about 10,000 is taxing.

Just standing on a step ladder puts me above sea level.

In Florida, standing on a step ladder will probably bring your eye
brows up to sea level.

Savageduck

Old August 14th 15, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/14/2015 11:29 AM, sid wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

[...]

As a photo, I like the first & third. The 2nd is a nice memory.

--
PeterN

Cold weather photography--how to protect a digital camera StanW Digital Photography 8 January 23rd 07 02:50 AM
Digital camera not operating in cold weather ? Socrates Digital Photography 10 April 22nd 05 02:39 AM
COLD weather Digital Photography 33 February 22nd 05 01:21 AM
Cold Weather Mont Digital Photography 0 January 19th 05 03:17 PM
Cold weather... Pertinax Photographing Nature 7 January 1st 05 11:22 PM