The new Pentax ist DS

Old January 1st 05, 06:25 PM
Darrell

"Tony H" wrote in message
"Darrell" wrote:

AFAIK the Pentax * istD doesn't store a jpeg with the RAW.

Apparently the istD RAW does include an embedded JPEG within it. This
can be used by viewers to display the image without having to decode
the RAW file in its entirety. I recently bought one of those
Phototainer storage devices which makes use of this feature to display
istD RAWs.

TH

I haven't read that in the manual or elsewhere. I had to download a free
plug-in from Cerious so Thumbsplus could display RAW files. I will have to
try it with the Epson 2000P when we get some in.

Old January 2nd 05, 11:32 PM
leo

I am very interested in Pentax's new ist DS digital SLR they have out. It's
got a 2inch LCD display on it and a it's a very tight compact size, which I
like. Much smaller then the Nikkon D70 and Canon Digital Rebel. I use to own
a Canon Digital Rebel, but sold it a while back to invest in another camera
or maybe possibly the same one. I really loved the Digital Rebel, but I
always like to try new hardware and stuff because in my mind there's always
some thing better. Which of course in the camera world is true, since you
can spend ENDLESS amounts of money on a camera.

Anyway, I may have posted some thing similar here recently but my news
server (forte) had a problem with my account, so I had to reconfigure
another account and download all the headers back again.

Has anyone had experience with the new Pentax ist DS and I assume it's just
as good or better then the Canon Digital Rebel I use to own? I'm not worried
about the insignificant features that really won't matter since basically
both have the same (Pentax actually has some more) and they pretty much
operate very much the same. Would it be dumb to buy the digital rebel again
rather then spending a little extra on the new Pentax? I'm not a
professional but expectations of good image quality is of course high when
spending over $1000 on any camera.

If you have any information or comments regarding the new Pentax ist DS
model please let me know about them and/or any other information you think
may be helpful.

I read some reviews already one which was from Steve's Digicam website and
that was plentiful with lots of information.....but lacked a strong opinion
view on it.

Well, thank you and happy new year!!!!

Spend $1300 to get the 20D. $300 more than your plan but you'll love it.
Nothing in the Pentax's spec's that great, unless you already have some
lenses. If budget is tight, I'd choose D70. It's nice to stick with a
brand with more choices of lenses.
Old January 3rd 05, 06:33 PM
Bill Tuthill

Kenneth Miller wrote:
Just about every SD card manufacturer makes 1 GB cards now and I have
seen hints that the 2GB ones should be out fairly soon .

Still, 1 GB compact flash cards are less expensive, and 2 GB compact flash
has been available for quite some time.

With SD, 512 MB has the best price per capacity ratio. With CF, 1 GB.

I think the biggest drawback of the Pentax ist-D(s) is the total lack of
antishake or image stabilized lenses. That might not be a big issue.
After all, photographers worked, and excelled, before IS lenses.