OT Scam Venting

Old December 9th 15, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default OT Scam Venting

Perhaps this is the wrong group, but I need to vent.

Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.
I know the calls were an attempted scam. The IRS knows it too. (This
particular scam has been going on for over a year.)
The IRS says call the FCC, if I haven't given them my SS#. The FCC says
the complaint should b filed with the FTC, which I did. Since the
scammers have given me a phone number to call and that telephone number
is known to the FCC, FTC, and the IRS, how difficult is it to find out
who is behind these criminal offenses.
Relation to digital photography - tenuous.

--
PeterN
Old December 9th 15, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

Perhaps this is the wrong group, but I need to vent.

Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.
I know the calls were an attempted scam. The IRS knows it too. (This
particular scam has been going on for over a year.)
The IRS says call the FCC, if I haven't given them my SS#. The FCC says
the complaint should b filed with the FTC, which I did. Since the
scammers have given me a phone number to call and that telephone number
is known to the FCC, FTC, and the IRS, how difficult is it to find out
who is behind these criminal offenses.

The same thing, sort of was said about spam...

Relation to digital photography - tenuous.

--
teleportation kills
Old December 9th 15, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 12/09/2015 08:52 AM, PeterN wrote:
Perhaps this is the wrong group, but I need to vent.

Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.
I know the calls were an attempted scam. The IRS knows it too. (This
particular scam has been going on for over a year.)
The IRS says call the FCC, if I haven't given them my SS#. The FCC says
the complaint should b filed with the FTC, which I did. Since the
scammers have given me a phone number to call and that telephone number
is known to the FCC, FTC, and the IRS, how difficult is it to find out
who is behind these criminal offenses.
Relation to digital photography - tenuous.

I have an AT&T landline and signed up with "nomorobo" and that screens
out a lot of nuisance calls...plus AT&T itself gives me the ability to
block calls.

As far as law enforcement goes I just don't think there are the
personnel to take care of things.

Friend of mine was a victim of a hit and run. The perpetrator's car was
so badly damaged he took off on foot so they easily got all his
info...however /nothing/ was done to prosecute the guy.

My friend ended up getting nothing for the damage to her car...which was
totaled. The police told her they just do not have the time to pursue
the matter.

Absurd!
Old December 9th 15, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
| about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.

If you don't have callerID, you should. If you do
have it you should never have picked up. Federal
agencies are bought out. Phone companies have
a monopoly racket going. Your only choice is to
simply not pick up unless you know who's calling.
doNotCall lists used to work, but haven't for some
time now. I'm guessing there was probably some
back room lobbying involved that we'll probably
never hear about.

Old December 9th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/9/2015 10:45 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
| about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.

If you don't have callerID, you should. If you do
have it you should never have picked up. Federal
agencies are bought out. Phone companies have
a monopoly racket going. Your only choice is to
simply not pick up unless you know who's calling.
doNotCall lists used to work, but haven't for some
time now. I'm guessing there was probably some
back room lobbying involved that we'll probably
never hear about.

That doesn't work for us in practice. Many calls we need are
from caller id blocked numbers.

the do not call list is not enforced due to lack of funding.

--
PeterN
Old December 9th 15, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-12-09 16:28:43 +0000, PeterN said:

On 12/9/2015 10:45 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
| about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.

If you don't have callerID, you should. If you do
have it you should never have picked up. Federal
agencies are bought out. Phone companies have
a monopoly racket going. Your only choice is to
simply not pick up unless you know who's calling.
doNotCall lists used to work, but haven't for some
time now. I'm guessing there was probably some
back room lobbying involved that we'll probably
never hear about.

That doesn't work for us in practice. Many calls we need are
from caller id blocked numbers.

the do not call list is not enforced due to lack of funding.

....and the most annoying of all are the never ending political lobby
and election season robo-calls.

Savageduck

Old December 9th 15, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Perhaps this is the wrong group, but I need to vent.

Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.
I know the calls were an attempted scam. The IRS knows it too. (This
particular scam has been going on for over a year.)
The IRS says call the FCC, if I haven't given them my SS#. The FCC says
the complaint should b filed with the FTC, which I did. Since the
scammers have given me a phone number to call and that telephone number
is known to the FCC, FTC, and the IRS, how difficult is it to find out
who is behind these criminal offenses.
Relation to digital photography - tenuous.

they have bigger fish to fry, or the calls originate outside their
jurisdiction and they can't do ****.

the solution is simply block the calls. after a while your number will
fall off the calling lists and number of spam calls drops
substantially.
Old December 9th 15, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 09:52:28 -0500, PeterN wrote:

Perhaps this is the wrong group, but I need to vent.

Yesterday I received several robo calls warning me that the IRS was
about to commence suing me, if I did not call a certain number.
I know the calls were an attempted scam. The IRS knows it too. (This
particular scam has been going on for over a year.)
The IRS says call the FCC, if I haven't given them my SS#. The FCC says
the complaint should b filed with the FTC, which I did. Since the
scammers have given me a phone number to call and that telephone number
is known to the FCC, FTC, and the IRS, how difficult is it to find out
who is behind these criminal offenses.

Quite difficult. It is fairly easy to 'spoof' any phone number they want
to have it look like the originator.

Relation to digital photography - tenuous.

I'd say non-existant.
Old December 9th 15, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray carter
wrote:

It is fairly easy to 'spoof' any phone number they want
to have it look like the originator.

yep.

i've received calls with clid saying it's my own phone number.

other times it has a bogus area code or an invalid number of digits or
it's all 0s or something else that's clearly bogus.
Old December 9th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/9/2015 12:18 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , ray carter
wrote:

It is fairly easy to 'spoof' any phone number they want
to have it look like the originator.

yep.

Yes it is.

i've received calls with clid saying it's my own phone number.

other times it has a bogus area code or an invalid number of digits or
it's all 0s or something else that's clearly bogus.

irrelevant. They gave me a number to call. It is the same number they
gave to a lot of other people.

--
PeterN