Minimal software to download Canon PowerShot to Mac?

Old November 29th 06, 01:53 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Erik Richard Sørensen

Default Minimal software to download Canon PowerShot to Mac?

Hei Peter

Peter J E Brunning wrote:
I was interested in this topic as my daughter has been asking a similar
question about a Canon Digital Ixus 300 (about 5 years old) and her Windows
XP laptop. Apparently it does not work as a standard USB drive, though my
son says he used it that way (maybe he had some extra software?) We need to
investigate when she returns from a trip away.

Anyway, I just tried my new Ixy Digital 60 (Japanese model; same as Digital
Ixus 65 and PowerShot SD630 Digital Elph) without any special Canon software
on my Windows XP PC - and it works. One can just 'open' it from the Explorer
or use the camera and scanner wizard. (The Canon CD has not been opened
though I admit I have some Panasonic software from my other camera.)

The IXUS 300 should work on both Macs and PCs without installing any of
the Canon software. - But you need to select 'PC mode' on the camera
display.

Connect the camera to the USB port and turn it on. Then there should
occour 2-3 possible choices - 'Camera' and 'PC mode' are the most
common, but on some cameras there also is a possibility of connecting
directly to a TV with capability of showing pictures.

I think this proves that at least some Canon cameras support USB mass
storage, but it's possible that not all do. So before Greg makes such a
sweeping criticism, it might be more helpful and polite to be sure of his
facts.

As I've now written more times, I haven't yet seen a Canon - or Nikon,
Panasonic, Kyocera or Olympus made camera - that can't be used on any
system from Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2, OS X 10.0.x to 10.4.x as well as Windows
98SE to XP without installing any extra software. - They do work 'out of
the box'!

Cheers, Erik Richard

"G.T." wrote in message
Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as HDs
when connected...

Digital Rebels and Powershots don't do USB mass storage, I didn't think
the other models did either. It's one of the lame things about Canons.

I generally trust your posts but this is the second time you've spouted
major, easy to check bull****.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC

*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing http://www.nisus.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Old November 29th 06, 07:33 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
G.T.

Peter J E Brunning wrote:
I was interested in this topic as my daughter has been asking a
similar question about a Canon Digital Ixus 300 (about 5 years old)
and her Windows XP laptop. Apparently it does not work as a standard
USB drive, though my son says he used it that way (maybe he had some
extra software?) We need to investigate when she returns from a trip
away.

Anyway, I just tried my new Ixy Digital 60 (Japanese model; same as
Digital Ixus 65 and PowerShot SD630 Digital Elph) without any special
Canon software on my Windows XP PC - and it works. One can just 'open'
it from the Explorer or use the camera and scanner wizard. (The Canon
CD has not been opened though I admit I have some Panasonic software
from my other camera.)

Probably via TWAIN/WIA.

The IXUS 300 should work on both Macs and PCs without installing any of
the Canon software. - But you need to select 'PC mode' on the camera
display.

Connect the camera to the USB port and turn it on. Then there should
occour 2-3 possible choices - 'Camera' and 'PC mode' are the most
common, but on some cameras there also is a possibility of connecting
directly to a TV with capability of showing pictures.

I think this proves that at least some Canon cameras support USB mass
storage, but it's possible that not all do. So before Greg makes such
a sweeping criticism, it might be more helpful and polite to be sure
of his facts.

You're right, my info is a little dated.

As I've now written more times, I haven't yet seen a Canon - or Nikon,
Panasonic, Kyocera or Olympus made camera - that can't be used on any
system from Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2, OS X 10.0.x to 10.4.x as well as Windows
98SE to XP without installing any extra software. - They do work 'out of
the box'!

My Digital Rebel and my A70 do either Normal=TWAIN or PTP, they do not
do USB mass storage.

That's probably why Canon says (regarding the Rebel XT):

"To connect your compatible Canon digital camera with a Windows XP
pre-installed computer via USB cable, you need to install the
appropriate USB WIA driver on your computer."

Greg

Cheers, Erik Richard

"G.T." wrote in message
Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as
HDs when connected...
Digital Rebels and Powershots don't do USB mass storage, I didn't
think the other models did either. It's one of the lame things about
Canons.

I generally trust your posts but this is the second time you've
spouted major, easy to check bull****.

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old November 29th 06, 08:43 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Erik Richard Sørensen

Hei Greg

G.T. wrote:
Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
As I've now written more times, I haven't yet seen a Canon - or Nikon,
Panasonic, Kyocera or Olympus made camera - that can't be used on any
system from Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2, OS X 10.0.x to 10.4.x as well as Windows
98SE to XP without installing any extra software. - They do work 'out
of the box'!

My Digital Rebel and my A70 do either Normal=TWAIN or PTP, they do not
do USB mass storage.

Are you sure that you have the latest internal Canon firmware/software
in the camera?

If I set my Olympus or Medion to PTP, it also results in no connection
to any computer - Mac or Windows. The camera _MUST_ be set to "PC Mode"
picture transfer.

That's probably why Canon says (regarding the Rebel XT):

"To connect your compatible Canon digital camera with a Windows XP
pre-installed computer via USB cable, you need to install the
appropriate USB WIA driver on your computer."

Hm, it might be this "...a Windows XP pre-installed..." that is the
-------------
culprit. All of the Windows users that I know, who are using Canon
digicams are all using full retail installs of WinXP.

cheers, Erik Richard

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Old December 22nd 06, 09:11 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Joe Fisher

I have a Canon S2 IS. I plug it in, it pops up as a removable disk.
Joe
"Mike Rosenberg" wrote in message
news:1hpfbaf.wc3npy1tkhzbN% Except that it's already been established in
this thread that Canon
cameras don't work that way.

Old December 22nd 06, 09:13 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Joe Fisher

"C0mdrData" wrote in message
news

"Erik Richard Sørensen" wrote in message
. ..
Hei Mike

Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as HDs
when connected...
Cheers, Erik Richard

I believe this is true IF you install the Canon software, since doing so
will also install a driver.

I have a Canon S2 IS, I have never installed any of the Canon software.
Joe