Minimal software to download Canon PowerShot to Mac?

Old November 26th 06, 08:35 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Mike Rosenberg

Default Minimal software to download Canon PowerShot to Mac?

emelvy wrote:

Canon's CameraWindow (at least the version I have, 6.0.0.6) supports
transfers from USB card readers.

Yes, but this is the opposite of what we're discussing here. The OP
wants to use his Canon camera with his iBook while installing the
absolute minimum Canon software, and we've already established that the
required minimum is nothing at all since Mac OS X already supports USB
card readers.

--
http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml Mac-themed T-shirts
http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml Mostly muckraking T-shirts
Old November 26th 06, 11:41 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
G.T.

emelvy wrote:
G.T. wrote:
Mike Rosenberg wrote:
Easy, buy a card reader and use none of the Canon, or Apple, software.
Even without a card reader, you can configure the Mac not to open iPhoto
or any app when a camera is connected, and it'll just mount the card as
an external volume.

Most Canons don't do USB mass storage.

Greg

Canon's CameraWindow (at least the version I have, 6.0.0.6) supports
transfers from USB card readers.

That's great but no help whatsoever to the original poster.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old November 27th 06, 12:29 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Erik Richard Sørensen

Hei AES

AES wrote:
Can anyone say what's the minimal software needed to download photos
from a Canon PowerShot A710 to a Mac iBook running OS 10.3.9 via the USB
cable?

There is no 'minimum' - just plug the camera to the USB, and it'll
occour on the desktop. Doubleclick on the camera icon and find the
folder containing the pictures and simply drag them to a place/folder
after your choice. - Or you can simply drag the whole folder with pics
to the folder 'Pictures' in the sidebar in Finder.

I really don't want to keep all, or in fact any, of the extensive suite
of Canon software that comes with the camera on my Mac. I just want to
download the images, in JPEG, not necessarily even RAW, format; and then
deal with them with my own software.

I don't use Canon myself, but I've seen the software, and I donot like
it either... So just follow instructions above for transfering the pics
to your computer.

After this, just open the picture folder on the camera and drag the
content to the trash and empty it. - Now they are also removed from the
camera... Simply and easy...

And then of course you also can use iPhoto - a part of OS X, but I find
this even worse than the Canon software. I'm having an Olympus myself,
but I haven't even installed the CamediaMaster software, though it's
rather good for organizing etc., but it's so complex in use, and it
doesn't always put the pictures, where you want to put them. So for this
use, I use GraphicsConverter - picture library mode / slideshow mode,
and then edit in Photoshop if necessary.

Cheers, ERik Richard

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC

*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing http://www.nisus.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Old November 27th 06, 12:58 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Mike Rosenberg

Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

There is no 'minimum' - just plug the camera to the USB, and it'll
occour on the desktop.

Except that it's already been established in this thread that Canon
cameras don't work that way.

Old November 27th 06, 01:14 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Erik Richard Sørensen

Hei Mike

Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as HDs
when connected...
Cheers, Erik Richard

Old November 27th 06, 01:29 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Mike Rosenberg

Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as HDs
when connected...

All I know is that two Canon users have already posted here saying this
does not work.

Old November 27th 06, 05:11 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
C0mdrData

"Erik Richard Sørensen" wrote in message
. ..
Hei Mike

Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as HDs
when connected...
Cheers, Erik Richard

I believe this is true IF you install the Canon software, since doing so
will also install a driver. The best way to avoid installing the software
is to use a card reader. Card readers are a good investment anyway, since
using a camera to transfer pictures requires that the camera can power up.
If the camera were to run out of juice in the middle of transferring
pictures it is possible (not likely, but possible) to lose all of your
pictures.

--
"The human adventure is just beginning"

Old November 27th 06, 07:54 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
G.T.

Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
Hei Mike

Strange - I know a lot of people here, who are using Canon cameras -
especially the EOSD and IXUS models. (Some IXUS models in Wurope are
identical to some A-models in the US). _ALL_ of these just pop up as HDs
when connected...

Digital Rebels and Powershots don't do USB mass storage, I didn't think
the other models did either. It's one of the lame things about Canons.

I generally trust your posts but this is the second time you've spouted
major, easy to check bull****.

Greg
Old November 27th 06, 12:06 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
ric

Digital Rebels and Powershots don't do USB mass storage, I didn't think
the other models did either. It's one of the lame things about Canons.

I generally trust your posts but this is the second time you've spouted
major, easy to check bull****.

Greg
--

some do. last week i had an eos 350D and 400D on my desk trying to get
them working. i think the 350D's sold as the digital rebel in the US.

i'm sure there's a reason for this but i can't see any justification
for removing the ability to appear as a usb bulk storage device on a
camera...for when you don't want to install canon's cruft, or want to
use it on a new PC...

ric