CHDK RAW file-saving time boosted + DNG option

Old November 29th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
BarryHaps

Default CHDK RAW file-saving time boosted + DNG option

Cool, the latest builds of CHDK have speeded up RAW+JPG file saving time now of
1.080 to 1.100 seconds on my camera. It has an option to display the file-write
time on each shot so you can see the speed you are getting. Continuous RAW at
1fps up to the size of the card. Nice.

They save RAW files directly to DNG format now too.

Interesting new page of a few sample photos at their download site that were
made using CHDK.

http://mighty-hoernsche.de/samples.html

Old November 29th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

BarryHaps wrote:

Cool, the latest builds of CHDK have speeded up RAW+JPG file saving time now of
1.080 to 1.100 seconds on my camera. It has an option to display the file-write
time on each shot so you can see the speed you are getting. Continuous RAW at
1fps up to the size of the card. Nice.

Sounds perfect for someone who wants to play with gadgets rather than
take pictures.

--
Ray Fischer

Old November 29th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pente-Champ

On 29 Nov 2008 05:47:51 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

BarryHaps wrote:

Cool, the latest builds of CHDK have speeded up RAW+JPG file saving time now of
1.080 to 1.100 seconds on my camera. It has an option to display the file-write
time on each shot so you can see the speed you are getting. Continuous RAW at
1fps up to the size of the card. Nice.

Sounds perfect for someone who wants to play with gadgets rather than
take pictures.

Tsk tsk tsk ... someone, who prides dslr's RAW file saving speed so as not to
miss any of those "pictures" is now slamming a whole family of inexpensive P&S
cameras that do it even faster with no slow-downs due to having to S-L-O-W-L-Y
dump a dslr's buffer to memory-card every 5 to 15 seconds.

That's okay, you can use that huge RAW file-saving pause, during all the action
that you have to capture, to try to change your lenses in time while that action
moves somewhere else. By the time your subjects are in a new spot you might have
that dslr lens changed in time. Even if taking single-frame shots, how many did
you miss while waiting for that RAW-buffer dump? 10? 20? 30? Really, how many.

A camera that can't capture an image when you want it to might as well be
sitting in a cabinet back home.

If it was a car that started then went for 1 block, then stopped for 5 minutes,
started and went for 1 block, then you had to wait another 5 minutes to
eventually, someday, get to your destination you'd take it back to the dealer or
manufacturer and wonder why they sold you a such major lemon. Like most any
dslr.

Old November 29th 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Pente-Champ wrote:

Cool, the latest builds of CHDK have speeded up RAW+JPG file saving time now of
1.080 to 1.100 seconds on my camera.

OK I know you are joking now.

Right?

I can set my D700 on 6.75MP basic jpeg & it does about 4fps without
filling the buffer till the card is full or I can shoot 40 full size
fine jpegs (or 22 raw) at 5fps in less than 2 seconds. I almost never
use that but I don't feel limited :-) I doubt I would actually hold the
shutter down for 40 frames at one time anyways g.

Tsk tsk tsk ... someone, who prides dslr's RAW file saving speed

Man, you got some weird math to make that look like a disadvantage. Even
at 640x480 the S3 only does 2fps.
Old November 29th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
TrollAmplfier

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 00:23:59 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

Pente-Champ wrote:

Cool, the latest builds of CHDK have speeded up RAW+JPG file saving time now of
1.080 to 1.100 seconds on my camera.

OK I know you are joking now.

Right?

I can set my D700 on 6.75MP basic jpeg & it does about 4fps without
filling the buffer till the card is full or I can shoot 40 full size
fine jpegs (or 22 raw) at 5fps in less than 2 seconds. I almost never
use that but I don't feel limited :-) I doubt I would actually hold the
shutter down for 40 frames at one time anyways g.

Look at that, someone is conveniently leaving off that horrendous delay after
removing their finger from the shutter button before they can take another
picture. I bet you never noticed it because it gave you time to change your lens
to the one you needed next, and then to go have a smoke.

Tsk tsk tsk ... someone, who prides dslr's RAW file saving speed

Man, you got some weird math to make that look like a disadvantage. Even
at 640x480 the S3 only does 2fps.

What have you been smoking?

It does 640x480 at 30fps. Change the JPEG compression to level 99 or 3x and
there's also no compression artifacts in any frames.

Old November 29th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_12_]

BarryHaps wrote:

Cool, the latest builds of CHDK have speeded up RAW+JPG file saving time now of
1.080 to 1.100 seconds on my camera. It has an option to display the file-write
time on each shot so you can see the speed you are getting. Continuous RAW at
1fps up to the size of the card. Nice.

Sounds perfect for someone who wants to play with gadgets rather than
take pictures.

Tsk tsk tsk ... someone, who prides dslr's RAW file saving speed so as not to
miss any of those "pictures" is now slamming a whole family of inexpensive P&S
cameras that do it even faster with no slow-downs due to having to S-L-O-W-L-Y
dump a dslr's buffer to memory-card every 5 to 15 seconds.

Hate to tell you this, but those times for the P&S are crap compared
to even several year old DSLRs. Mine will shoot raw at 5fps for more
shots than I'll personally every need in a row. And after over 20 raw
images at 5fps, only then will it slow down to what your P&S with CHDK
can only do at it's max rate. If you lift off the shutter button for
a bit, it goes back to 5fps for the next series of shots. But it's
never slower than a P&S even after the camera's buffer is full. And
it never stops shooting just to flush it's internal buffer to the CF
card.

Newer DSLRs that can make use of UDMA cards are even much better.

You've got to try harder because with this post, you've only shown a
glaring deficiency in P&S's compared to DSLRs.

That's okay, you can use that huge RAW file-saving pause, during all the action
that you have to capture, to try to change your lenses in time while that action
moves somewhere else. By the time your subjects are in a new spot you might have
that dslr lens changed in time. Even if taking single-frame shots, how many did
you miss while waiting for that RAW-buffer dump? 10? 20? 30? Really, how many.

You REALLY have absolutely no clue.

Steve
Old November 29th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
TrollAmplifier

BarryHaps wrote:

[...]

I do have a clue.

How many DSLRs do what you claim? How much will it cost them for practically no
advantages in image quality? And has been clearly proved, image quality can even
be worse in a "good" DSLR compared to a GOOD P&S.

Let's see .... 5fps RAW for 20 shots or 1fps RAW unlimited. $8,000 (camera +
lenses) or $300 (camera + lenses) ... decisions decisions.....

Nikon D90: JPG+RAW burst, 4.5fps, 11 frames, time to buffer full 1.3s, delay
time to next shots 8s. TRUE continuous RAW+JPG speed = 1.1fps. Avg. cost: $1,000
plus $1000-$5000 in lenses.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II: JPG+RAW burst "up to" 3.9fps (not much better than their
S3 P&S when saving JPGs alone), Avg. cost: $2,200 plus $1000-$5000 in lenses.

Canon EOS 50D: JPG+RAW burst 6.3fps, 16 frames, time to buffer full 0.4s., delay
time to next shots 42.3s (LOL!! Yeah, you read that right, nearly a minute of
delay between shots). TRUE continuous RAW+JPG speed = 1 shot every 2.6s (LOL!)
Avg cost: $2,300 plus $1000-$5000 in lenses.

How's that for your "clue"? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 29th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Steve
writes

BarryHaps wrote:

[...]

Mine (which is a mid-range DSLR) will do 8fps form longer than any sane
person would need it especially using the UDMA CF cards.

So if, as you suggest 5fps is faster than a P&S then the P&S can't
compete with the newer and higher end DSLR's at all.

BTW the fallback "normal" speed for mine is 5fps

Old November 29th 08, 11:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , TrollAmplifier
writes
How many DSLRs do what you claim? How much will it cost them for practically no
advantages in image quality? And has been clearly proved, image quality
can even
be worse in a "good" DSLR compared to a GOOD P&S.

No it hasn't Post a link to the proof.

The moon is made of cheese.