Scanning Thousands of Slides

Old July 6th 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

Default Scanning Thousands of Slides

Currently I have thousands of slides from the 1960/1970s which I want
to scan onto CDs. The quote from Jessops - never the cheapest - is 50p
per slide - OUCH!! I don't want to have to rig up a projector and
screen and take photos one at a time. So is there a slide scanning
device - with automated feed - that I can connect to a USB2 port of a
PC - for scanning batches of slides say 100 at a time? Many thanks -
CJB.

Old July 6th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

CJB wrote:
Currently I have thousands of slides from the 1960/1970s which I want
to scan onto CDs. The quote from Jessops - never the cheapest - is 50p
per slide - OUCH!! I don't want to have to rig up a projector and
screen and take photos one at a time. So is there a slide scanning
device - with automated feed - that I can connect to a USB2 port of a
PC - for scanning batches of slides say 100 at a time? Many thanks -
CJB.

So, if by 1000's you mean - say - 3500 your target price
to beat/break even is 1700 quids worth of gear.

If that's the case, you're "ok".

Amazon's new "link" features
shows some helpful stuff, starting he

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

BugBear
Old July 6th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

CJB wrote:
Currently I have thousands of slides from the 1960/1970s which I want
to scan onto CDs. The quote from Jessops - never the cheapest - is 50p
per slide - OUCH!! I don't want to have to rig up a projector and
screen and take photos one at a time. So is there a slide scanning
device - with automated feed - that I can connect to a USB2 port of a
PC - for scanning batches of slides say 100 at a time? Many thanks -
CJB.

Your first thing to do is edit the slides, I to have thousands of
slides but probably only have hundreds that are really important. In
the US a Braun slide scanner, that takes a 100 slide tray, different
from Kodak trays BTW. Costs about $1400. A Nikon LS5000 with a slide
stacker costs about $1500. An Epson V700 takes 12 slides at a time and
costs $550. Each slide will take 2-5 minutes, for scanning including
Digital Ice, but not counting cleanup in an editing program, about US
$90 (Adobe Photoshop Elements). If you want to scan slides non stop
make sure you have 1.5-2gb of RAM in your computer, scanning is a
resource hungry proposition.
Jessops will probably do in a week what it will take you literally
years to do (scanning is immensly boring, even cutting the grass may
sound better the father you get into your slides).
I would pare the slides down and take them to Jessops and be done with
it.

Tom

Old July 6th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 11:52:59 +0100, CJB wrote:

Currently I have thousands of slides from the 1960/1970s which I want
to scan onto CDs. The quote from Jessops - never the cheapest - is 50p
per slide - OUCH!! I don't want to have to rig up a projector and
screen and take photos one at a time. So is there a slide scanning
device - with automated feed - that I can connect to a USB2 port of a
PC - for scanning batches of slides say 100 at a time? Many thanks -
CJB.

Having recently moved to digital I too have slides to scan (15,000 - since
the early 70's)

I worked out the costs and bought a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED and SF210
feeder. The SF210 was used off ebay with a 'modification' to be able to
scan plastic mounts without too many problems.

I figured the cost of this equipment was a lot cheaper than getting someon
else to do it.

It will take a LONG time to complete, but I'm starting with the 'need to
keep' slides first

Clive
Old July 6th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm CJB wrote:
: Currently I have thousands of slides from the 1960/1970s which I want
: to scan onto CDs. The quote from Jessops - never the cheapest - is 50p
: per slide - OUCH!! I don't want to have to rig up a projector and
: screen and take photos one at a time. So is there a slide scanning
: device - with automated feed - that I can connect to a USB2 port of a
: PC - for scanning batches of slides say 100 at a time? Many thanks -
: CJB.

I just finished scanning a huge number of slides and found that I was
adjusting the scan settings for each slide. To make a long story short
it was a slow painful process that I never want to repeat!
--

-------------------
Old July 6th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm tomm42 wrote:

: CJB wrote:
[...]

I was finding that sitting and watching the grass grow was more
interesting then scanning slides! I disagree with starting with the
"important" slides first. After those are done there will be little
to motivate you to keep scanning the unimportant ones!
--

-------------------
Old July 6th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

"no_name" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

CJB wrote:

Currently I have thousands of slides from the 1960/1970s which I want
to scan onto CDs. The quote from Jessops - never the cheapest - is 50p
per slide - OUCH!! I don't want to have to rig up a projector and
screen and take photos one at a time. So is there a slide scanning
device - with automated feed - that I can connect to a USB2 port of a
PC - for scanning batches of slides say 100 at a time? Many thanks -
CJB.

as an aside it would be easier to scan the negatives if you still have
them? film scanners have been on the market longer so are cheaper.

You know, now that you mention it ... they've never given me my negatives
back when I took film in to have it processed for slides.

I too, have thousands of slides. I have found that it's a waste of time to
try to scan them all.....I usually eliminate more than half of them. There
is no reason to scan them all, when they will keep in slide form for years
and years....Wait until you really need to send them to someone else, and
then scan them....Otherwise, you are just wasting hard drive space....Also,
as time goes on, the hard drive space becomes cheaper and cheaper. My film
scanner won't auto feed them, so I have to load the holder with four slides,
and then scan them by hand. But that's just the beginning of what seems to
be a long, drawn out process. I almost always want to crop out part of the
image, and clean up spots and specks and tissues and pop bottles on the
grass and etc, so it's really not something that an auto feeding machine
would be able to do. My scanner (a KM 5400 II) has more than enough
resolution for the job, but is not a very fast machine when you are talking
about thousands of slides. The best way is to get a good light box and a
viewer, number all of them, and catalog them, and decide which ones to scan
then. Set those aside, and store the rest.