Sanyo: New 2700mAh AA, 1000mAh AAA Ni-MH batteries released!!

Old November 3rd 05, 12:03 AM
David Chien

Default Sanyo: New 2700mAh AA, 1000mAh AAA Ni-MH batteries released!!

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/1102/sanyo.htm
(Use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to translate)

New improved Ni-Mh cells yield new recordbreaking 2700mAh AA/1000mAh AAA
cells (remember the old 1600mAh AA's from just a few years ago?).
Perfect for digital cameras and they extend runtime even further than
previously imagined possible from a Ni-Mh cell.

~11% longer runtime vs. a 2400mAh cell (7.5 more minutes if 2400mAh
lasted an hour in your digicam)
~68% longer runtime vs. a 1600mAh cell (41 more minutes if 1600mAh
lasted an hour in your digicam)

Excellent for flashlights, radios, portable game devices, etc.
Old November 3rd 05, 01:54 AM
MarkČ

David Chien wrote:
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/1102/sanyo.htm
(Use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to translate)

New improved Ni-Mh cells yield new recordbreaking 2700mAh AA/1000mAh
AAA cells (remember the old 1600mAh AA's from just a few years ago?).
Perfect for digital cameras and they extend runtime even further than
previously imagined possible from a Ni-Mh cell.

~11% longer runtime vs. a 2400mAh cell (7.5 more minutes if 2400mAh
lasted an hour in your digicam)
~68% longer runtime vs. a 1600mAh cell (41 more minutes if 1600mAh
lasted an hour in your digicam)

Excellent for flashlights, radios, portable game devices, etc.

Flashlights?
NiMh are NOT the best choice for flashlights, unless they are in constant
use.
They are great for high-draw devices like flashes, digital cameras, etc.,
but they lose charge on the shelf, and should not be left un-used for
prolonged periods.

Old November 3rd 05, 02:12 AM
SMS

MarkČ wrote:
David Chien wrote:

[...]

This is correct. I have a flashlight with a rechargeable Li-Ion battery,
and it's great because the self-discharge rate of Li-Ion batteries is
very low.
Old November 3rd 05, 02:29 AM
[BnH]

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

Flashlights?
NiMh are NOT the best choice for flashlights, unless they are in constant
use.
They are great for high-draw devices like flashes, digital cameras, etc.,
but they lose charge on the shelf, and should not be left un-used for
prolonged periods.

2nd that. You might end up with flat battery if using NiMh cell for
emergency flashlight.

Old November 3rd 05, 06:42 AM
Pete D

David Chien wrote:
[...]

Agree they should not be left for long periods but they are really great in
my caving headlamps, much, much better value than alkaline.

Old November 3rd 05, 12:12 PM
SimonLW

Hopefully they're not sacrificing quality or longevity for quantity.
-S

"David Chien" wrote in message
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/1102/sanyo.htm
(Use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to translate)

New improved Ni-Mh cells yield new recordbreaking 2700mAh AA/1000mAh AAA
cells (remember the old 1600mAh AA's from just a few years ago?). Perfect
for digital cameras and they extend runtime even further than previously
imagined possible from a Ni-Mh cell.

~11% longer runtime vs. a 2400mAh cell (7.5 more minutes if 2400mAh lasted
an hour in your digicam)
~68% longer runtime vs. a 1600mAh cell (41 more minutes if 1600mAh lasted
an hour in your digicam)

Excellent for flashlights, radios, portable game devices, etc.

Old November 3rd 05, 10:19 PM
Dave Cohen

"SimonLW" wrote in message
Hopefully they're not sacrificing quality or longevity for quantity.
-S

"David Chien" wrote in message
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/1102/sanyo.htm
(Use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to translate)

New improved Ni-Mh cells yield new recordbreaking 2700mAh AA/1000mAh AAA
cells (remember the old 1600mAh AA's from just a few years ago?). Perfect
for digital cameras and they extend runtime even further than previously
imagined possible from a Ni-Mh cell.

~11% longer runtime vs. a 2400mAh cell (7.5 more minutes if 2400mAh
lasted an hour in your digicam)
~68% longer runtime vs. a 1600mAh cell (41 more minutes if 1600mAh lasted
an hour in your digicam)

Excellent for flashlights, radios, portable game devices, etc.

These wouldn't do me much good. The very first batteries I bought with my
first camera take 350 shots or so under vacation conditions. Mostly, I'm
lucky if I take 50 shots in a 3 month period, so I'm probably losing more
when not in use than when in use. That first purchase were Quest, I'm
guessing 1400 mah (no markings on cells).
I'd like to see a NiMH with lower self discharge.
Dave Cohen

Old November 5th 05, 03:21 PM
SMS

Dave Cohen wrote:

These wouldn't do me much good. The very first batteries I bought with my
first camera take 350 shots or so under vacation conditions. Mostly, I'm
lucky if I take 50 shots in a 3 month period, so I'm probably losing more
when not in use than when in use. That first purchase were Quest, I'm
guessing 1400 mah (no markings on cells).
I'd like to see a NiMH with lower self discharge.

Wouldn't we all, but it's a result of the chemistry of the battery. It's
great to have a standard AA cell, but the self discharge rate is really
a pain in the butt on many devices. On a digital camera with a dock for
charging, it's less of a pain, but on my kid's camera, I always have to
remember to remove the batteries for charging or it won't be ready for
the once or twice a month he uses it.