School has started, and Drive to School Hall of Shame Web Site is

Old August 26th 05, 03:14 AM
SMS

Default School has started, and Drive to School Hall of Shame Web Site is

In June, I started this project, but school was almost out. Now school
has started again, and I've begun adding to the site. Now my kids are in
two different schools, so I should be able to get even more photos, and
I'm hoping to get other people to send some photos in as well. I've
splurged the $8 for a domain name: "http://drivetoschoolhallofshame.com" .
Old August 26th 05, 05:42 AM
Ryan Robbins

"SMS" wrote in message
In June, I started this project, but school was almost out. Now school has
started again, and I've begun adding to the site. Now my kids are in two
different schools, so I should be able to get even more photos, and I'm
hoping to get other people to send some photos in as well. I've splurged
the $8 for a domain name: "http://drivetoschoolhallofshame.com" .

Your photos don't show any conclusive evidence of any wrongdoing by anybody.

Also, I'm curious why you don't show license plate numbers and drivers'
faces.

Old August 26th 05, 10:19 AM
SMS

Ryan Robbins wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

In June, I started this project, but school was almost out. Now school has
started again, and I've begun adding to the site. Now my kids are in two
different schools, so I should be able to get even more photos, and I'm
hoping to get other people to send some photos in as well. I've splurged
the $8 for a domain name: "http://drivetoschoolhallofshame.com" .

Your photos don't show any conclusive evidence of any wrongdoing by anybody.

In California, and most other states, vehicles must stop for pedestrians
in the crosswalk.

Also, I'm curious why you don't show license plate numbers and drivers'
faces.

I was advised against it.
Old August 26th 05, 01:42 PM
BJ in Texas

SMS wrote:
|| In June, I started this project, but school was almost out.
|| Now school has started again, and I've begun adding to the
|| site. Now my kids are in two different schools, so I should
|| be able to get even more photos, and I'm hoping to get other
|| people to send some photos in as well. I've splurged the $8
|| for a domain name: "http://drivetoschoolhallofshame.com" .

Dam, They missed :-)

"The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the
one who is doing it." -- The Roman Rule

Old August 26th 05, 05:20 PM
Paul H.

"SMS" wrote in message
In June, I started this project, but school was almost out. Now school
has started again, and I've begun adding to the site. Now my kids are in
two different schools, so I should be able to get even more photos, and
I'm hoping to get other people to send some photos in as well. I've
splurged the $8 for a domain name: "http://drivetoschoolhallofshame.com" .

Why should anyone in a dSLR newsgroup give a rat's posterior about your
provincial, obsessive-compulsive fetish? Besides, any adult with a "Nyah,
nyah, nyah-- I'm gonna tell on you!" attitude ought not to be putting up a
"hall of shame."

If you have evidence of real safety issues involving criminal driving
violations, take your pictures (preferably with license plates showing) to
your local town council or police department and do something productive
about the problem.

Old August 26th 05, 05:35 PM
wilt

SMS,
I have long noted that drivers picking up and dropping off their
children at school are horribly preoccupied and oblivious to their
surroundings...other than their own children. Driving is atrocious. My
wife, who teaches school, agrees with my observations. Probably
somewhat analogous to drivers who have so little brain matter available
that they cannot even control the pressure of their accelerator foot as
they talk on cell phones! But this is NOT a newsgroup for political
or civil matters, it is about DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY. Get the hint?

Old August 26th 05, 05:41 PM
SMS

wilt wrote:
SMS,
I have long noted that drivers picking up and dropping off their
children at school are horribly preoccupied and oblivious to their
surroundings...other than their own children. Driving is atrocious. My
wife, who teaches school, agrees with my observations. Probably
somewhat analogous to drivers who have so little brain matter available
that they cannot even control the pressure of their accelerator foot as
they talk on cell phones! But this is NOT a newsgroup for political
or civil matters, it is about DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY. Get the hint?

The point really is that just carrying a dSLR (as opposed to a small
camera) is an intimidation tool against these drivers (this was the
original subject of this post). You'd be amazed to witness the change in
behavior of some drivers when you raise the camera and point it at their
car; you can read their mind, "why is he pointing a camera at me?
should I go or stop? oh, I'm supposed to stop so I'd better stop).
Old August 26th 05, 06:18 PM

SMS wrote:

The point really is that just carrying a dSLR (as opposed to a small
camera) is an intimidation tool against these drivers (this was the
original subject of this post). You'd be amazed to witness the change in
behavior of some drivers when you raise the camera and point it at their
car; you can read their mind, "why is he pointing a camera at me?
should I go or stop? oh, I'm supposed to stop so I'd better stop).

Seems to me you are being watched carefully by attentive parents: they
see some kook with a camera in front of a frickin' school. Are they
supposed to think glowing, warm, thoughts of you? They simply have no
idea, nor are likely to care about what you may say -- their bayesian
prior is that you are a _threat_ to their offspring. Sooner or later,
as unjustified as it may be, you will have to explain your presence to
a cop. What evidence can you present to him that you are what you
claim, as opposed to his likely view that you are just some closet
pedophile who is using stop-sign 'violations' as a cover for taking
pictures of kids? But hey, it's your life: carry on!

Old August 26th 05, 06:22 PM
Dragan Cvetkovic

" writes:

Sooner or later,
as unjustified as it may be, you will have to explain your presence to
a cop. What evidence can you present to him that you are what you
claim, as opposed to his likely view that you are just some closet
pedophile who is using stop-sign 'violations' as a cover for taking
pictures of kids?

If that is a digital SLR (the only On-topic type in this newsgroup), he can
certainly show the previously taken photos on the spot. With film cameras
it would be more difficult.

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,