Infrared Time-Lapse Movie

Old June 12th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
M-M

Default Infrared Time-Lapse Movie

Here is a very interesting infrared effect.

I shot a time-lapse sequence with an IR filter (using a GoProHD2). The
trees made a very sudden dramatic change.

The movie is only 10 seconds total. It's at the bottom of the page he

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old June 12th 12, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"M-M" wrote in message

Here is a very interesting infrared effect.

I shot a time-lapse sequence with an IR filter (using a GoProHD2). The
trees made a very sudden dramatic change.

The movie is only 10 seconds total. It's at the bottom of the page he

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

Haven't made it to the movie yet, but those mouse-overs are nicely done.
Interestingly, I prefer the ivy covered house in normal to the IR. But with
the others, it's magic how a complete boring scene comes to life in IR.
Thanks! (Really on the thanks. I've been having fun with the IR, but worry
that it will soon turn to a way overused gimmick, so those comparisons are
interesting.)

FWIW, of late I've been cranking the contrast in my IR images more than you
do. In Lightroom 4.1, I crank the contrast to 100% and often expand the
blacks and/or whites. (Using a deep-IR converted 5D, which makes doing that
kind of comparison harder: would require having two bodies along.)

Oops. Don't have quicktime. Oh, well. No movie for me.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 12th 12, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 6/12/2012 4:31 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

"M-M" wrote in message

Here is a very interesting infrared effect.

I shot a time-lapse sequence with an IR filter (using a GoProHD2). The
trees made a very sudden dramatic change.

The movie is only 10 seconds total. It's at the bottom of the page he

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

Haven't made it to the movie yet, but those mouse-overs are nicely done.
Interestingly, I prefer the ivy covered house in normal to the IR. But
with the others, it's magic how a complete boring scene comes to life in
IR. Thanks! (Really on the thanks. I've been having fun with the IR, but
worry that it will soon turn to a way overused gimmick, so those
comparisons are interesting.)

If your image has good composition the IR effect can greatly enhance the
image.

I use an old Nikon P&S that I had converted by removing the filter. Some
claim you also need an IR filter, but I don't understand what that would
accomplish.

--
Peter
Old June 12th 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:54:36 -0400, M-M wrote:

Here is a very interesting infrared effect.

I shot a time-lapse sequence with an IR filter (using a GoProHD2). The
trees made a very sudden dramatic change.

The movie is only 10 seconds total. It's at the bottom of the page he

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

To what do you attribute the sudden change in the trees in the movie?
Was it the passage of a cloud?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old June 13th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-06-12 18:30 , Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:54:36 -0400, M-M wrote:

Here is a very interesting infrared effect.

I shot a time-lapse sequence with an IR filter (using a GoProHD2). The
trees made a very sudden dramatic change.

The movie is only 10 seconds total. It's at the bottom of the page he

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

To what do you attribute the sudden change in the trees in the movie?
Was it the passage of a cloud?

That would be my guess - or specifically, it was under cloud at first
and then when the sun hit the leaves reflected the higher IR.

Watch the 'shadows' on the building at left.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old June 13th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"PeterN" wrote:
On 6/12/2012 4:31 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

(Really on the thanks. I've been having fun with the IR, but
worry that it will soon turn to a way overused gimmick, so those
comparisons are interesting.)

If your image has good composition the IR effect can greatly enhance the
image.

Well, that's a different question from the overused gimmick problem. But
since contrast appears in such radically different places, the same scene
photographed from the same standpoint with the same AoV lens _can be_ a
different composition in IR. Dramatic sky vs. boring sky, no differentiation
in the foliage vs. wide range of tonalities in the foliage, etc.

One problem I'm having with IR, is that it makes the trees look radioactive,
which is a sensitive issue over here since Fukushima. (FWIW, the Japanese
standard for background radiation is 1/3 the average background level in New
Jersey. And they do cleanup things if said standard is exceeded.)

I use an old Nikon P&S that I had converted by removing the filter. Some
claim you also need an IR filter, but I don't understand what that would
accomplish.

The conversion may have added an IR pass filter (that blocks most or all
visible light) in front of the sensor. If it didn't, you need an IR filter.
There are some odd color effects you can get by doing color photography with
IR contamination of the colors, but I'm not fond of those.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 13th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

To what do you attribute the sudden change in the trees in the movie?
Was it the passage of a cloud?

That's what figure it is, but I was hoping someone here would make some
more sense out of it.

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old June 13th 12, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

I use an old Nikon P&S that I had converted by removing the filter. Some
claim you also need an IR filter, but I don't understand what that would
accomplish.

There is a big difference. Removing an IR blocking filter from a camera
simply allows IR to pass through, along with all visible wavelengths
also.

An IR filter added on top will prevent visible wavelengths while only
allowing IR.

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old June 13th 12, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 6/12/2012 7:53 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

"PeterN" wrote:
[...]

It was a cheapo conversion. Just removed the IR filter.

Here is the result:
http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Landscapes/21271534_mw4B9R#!i=1730614889&k=WGpJLmN&lb=1&s=A

I will sometimes do color shifting in PS, which I can control:

http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Abstract/21271728_bCdThq#!i=1693670410&k=4gXkj6L

--
Peter
Old June 13th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 6/12/2012 9:21 PM, M-M wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I use an old Nikon P&S that I had converted by removing the filter. Some
claim you also need an IR filter, but I don't understand what that would
accomplish.

There is a big difference. Removing an IR blocking filter from a camera
simply allows IR to pass through, along with all visible wavelengths
also.

An IR filter added on top will prevent visible wavelengths while only
allowing IR.

I may get one as a toy. I did some research and see there are indeed
different effects that can be obtained with different filters. Some
places charge $250 for the conversion. I paid $50 and the price of
filters is all over the place. It also seems to be that a glass filter
will greatly extend the exposure time, making IR useless for anything
but landscapes. I may not be getting pure infrared, but so far I like
what I see well enough to expand my toy.

--
Peter