Nikon D70s, NEF, and Macintosh

Old October 8th 05, 06:58 PM
Nikon User

Default Nikon D70s, NEF, and Macintosh

I recently purchased a Nikon D70s and a 1-gig Lexar Compact Flash card.

iPhoto says it can't recgnize the NEF formatted files; I tried
connecting the camera directly to the computer (with a USB cable), and
reading the card with a card reader.

A friend who has a D70 has no problem importing NEF files from her
camera with iPhoto.

I can import them with PictureProject and with GraphicConverter, though.
I don't have any version of Photoshop.

Are there differences between the D70 version of NEF and the D70s
version? If not, why can't I import with iPhoto?

Second question: Does Photoshop SE offer enough advantages over
GraphicConverter to make it worth the money?

Third question: Is Nikon View or Nikon Capture worth buying?

Thanks in advance.
Old October 8th 05, 07:07 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Nikon User wrote:

Are there differences between the D70 version of NEF and the D70s
version?

Yes. You will probably have to wait for iPhoto to be updated for it to
recognize the NEFs.

Second question: Does Photoshop SE offer enough advantages over
GraphicConverter to make it worth the money?

I'm not sure what "Photoshop SE" is, but if you meant "CS2", then, yes.

Third question: Is Nikon View or Nikon Capture worth buying?

No. Not worth using even if free.

--
Jeremy |
Old October 8th 05, 07:43 PM
Nikon User

"Jim" wrote:

Third question: Is Nikon View or Nikon Capture worth buying?

If you own the 10.5mm fisheye, then you can convert the image from round to
rectangular. The rectangular image still needs some work to avoid the
falling over backwards look.
Otherwise, both are a waste of money and time.

*chuckle* No, I don't own the fisheye. Thanks.
Old October 8th 05, 07:49 PM
Nikon User

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Are there differences between the D70 version of NEF and the D70s
version?

Yes. You will probably have to wait for iPhoto to be updated for it
to recognize the NEFs.

Thanks.

Second question: Does Photoshop SE offer enough advantages over
GraphicConverter to make it worth the money?

I'm not sure what "Photoshop SE" is, but if you meant "CS2", then,
yes.

Actually, I meant Photoshop Elements. I don't know where I got the "SE"
from. Photoshop CS2 is much more than I need, and costs much more than
I can justify spending.

So, the question is the comparison between Photoshop Elements and
GraphicConverter.

Old October 8th 05, 08:55 PM
Nikon User

Ed Ruf wrote:

Third question: Is Nikon View or Nikon Capture worth buying

If you own the 10.5mm fisheye, then you can convert the image from
round to rectangular. The rectangular image still needs some work
to avoid the falling over backwards look. Otherwise, both are a
waste of money and time.

Even if you assign value of zero to NV, since it's free, the amount
of value per price is still indeterminate. NV is a free download on
the Nikon Support web site.

Apparently, it does not support the D70s; when I list my camera as a
D70s it does not show up in the downloads list, but if I list it as a
D70, it does show up. So I can scratch it from consideration,
regardless.
Old October 8th 05, 09:04 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Nikon User wrote:

I'm not sure what "Photoshop SE" is, but if you meant "CS2", then,
yes.

Actually, I meant Photoshop Elements. I don't know where I got the "SE"
from. Photoshop CS2 is much more than I need, and costs much more than
I can justify spending.

So, the question is the comparison between Photoshop Elements and
GraphicConverter.

Then I'd say "maybe". Elements is lacking some things that I find rather
fundamental to photo post-processing, like Curves, and I consider it not
really suitable for serious photography.

The price tag on the full CS2 is a bit of a bummer, yes.

--
Jeremy |
Old October 8th 05, 09:12 PM
Nikon User

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

So, the question is the comparison between Photoshop Elements and
GraphicConverter.

Then I'd say "maybe". Elements is lacking some things that I find
rather fundamental to photo post-processing, like Curves, and I
consider it not really suitable for serious photography.

Thanks. Frankly, I don't know what Curves is (in relation to digital
photography), so I probably don't need it--at least not for a while.
Old October 8th 05, 09:36 PM
Nikon User

"Jim" wrote:

Even if you assign value of zero to NV, since it's free, the
amount of value per price is still indeterminate. NV is a free
download on the Nikon Support web site.

Apparently, it does not support the D70s; when I list my camera as
a D70s it does not show up in the downloads list, but if I list it
as a D70, it does show up. So I can scratch it from consideration,
regardless.

Picture Project came with my D70. All it does for me is download the
files and format the card.

It came with my D70s too; however, we're talking about Nikon View here.
Old October 8th 05, 09:47 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Nikon User wrote:

Thanks. Frankly, I don't know what Curves is (in relation to digital
photography), so I probably don't need it--at least not for a while.

That's a fair statement -- and part of the reason I said Elements was a
"maybe" even though I followed it up with a "not suitable". What's
important is whether it does what *you* want, not whether it does what
I want.

It's a good program. If the feature list matches your needs, I'd say go
for it. If you outgrow it, you'll know. However, it is worth noting that
the new version just came out for Windows but not for Mac, with the Mac
version "still in development", whatever that might mean. Anyway, there
is a demo available, so you can download that and see if you like it.

--
Jeremy |