feedback on Canon A710-IS compared to Sony DSC-N2

Old December 16th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesøtti

Default feedback on Canon A710-IS compared to Sony DSC-N2

Joan wrote:
For me, it was always the other way round.

The other thing I absolutely do not trust to women is to choose a tie
for me.

--
Joan

"minnesøtti" wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: Mmm... I never trust women to buy/choose electronics. That's the
lesson.
:

Old December 16th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Reece

well, well, well, I got lucky...no not that....maybe later...I got lucky
because my dear wife was very open to the exchange. So much so that we went
out to dinner and then swapped it and I didn't even have to put it back
under the tree. And I am so glad I did. What a sweet little camera!

I do have a question though. For those of you who have an A710-IS, I guess.
It records movies in quicktime, right? And if so, do anyone know how to
convert these to mpeg?

Thanks for all the input. And Happy Holidays to All.
"ray" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:52:49 -0500, Bill Reece wrote:

Help, I lost a prosumer(kodak) camera to the surf this summer. And I
think
my wife has replaced it this Christmas with a Sony DSC-N2. It's a shiney
new compact with some neat features but only 3x optical zoom and it
doesn't
have IS. For the same money I could have the A710-IS. Which has 10x zoom
but less pixels @ 7.1 as opposed to 10.1. The N2 uses Sony's memory
sticks
which I have none of yet I have a full gig sd and a few assorted other
sd's.

I am buy no means a camera professional, it's not even a full time hobby.
just like to be able to take good pictures when the time arises.

I've read the A710 also has a slow recovery on flash, but don't know that
this would bother me.

I hate to hurt her feelings but I think I'd be much happier with the A710
in
the long run. Any feedback would be appreciated. Mainly pros and cons
of
the two cameras. (not stuff about me and my wife, please :-)

Thanks
Bill

FWIW - I'd suggest you look at the Kodak P series. One redeeming value
they have is a decent electronic viewfinder - about twice the pixel count
of the other EVF cameras. I find all the others way 'too blocky' to be
able to tell what I'm shooting. P series has about 237k pixels - most
others run about 110k. Recently I purchased a refurb P850, and I'm quite
happy. Image stabilization, 12x, etc. From the Kodak online store it was
$250 and the (totally optional) printer dock was another $50.

Old December 16th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"Bill Reece" writes:
I do have a question though. For those of you who have an A710-IS, I guess.
It records movies in quicktime, right? And if so, do anyone know how to
convert these to mpeg?

I think the movies are motion jpeg.
Old December 16th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bruce Chastain

"Bill Reece" wrote in message
news
I do have a question though. For those of you who have an A710-IS, I
guess. It records movies in quicktime, right? And if so, do anyone know
how to convert these to mpeg?

Motion jpeg in an AVI file.

Bruce.

Old December 16th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

Sonys and now a few canons have a smart zoom feature, The sony set at
7mp should have 5x optical zoom. The sony has nothing to grip, its to
easy to drop, I dropped my w5 many times, Canons have the bulge to grip
onto if the model you are looking at is AA batteries. Sony has no thread
for lenses or filters, sony has a proprietary expensive battery, but it
has a 500 shot album feature at Vga and 3" touch screen. For real use
pick Canon, for a ladys purse and to show off pictures its the sony. I
think the sony is over priced for what you get. And you have to buy
Sonys memory card, what Bs, sony still think they are better than
everone else.

Old December 16th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Joan wrote:
That's just colour and the emotion colour invokes. I don't do
emotion.

Clearly.

But you could do netiquette.

--
lsmft
Old December 16th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

minnesøtti wrote:
Joan wrote:
For me, it was always the other way round.

The other thing I absolutely do not trust to women is to choose a tie
for me.

--
Joan

"minnesøtti" wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: Mmm... I never trust women to buy/choose electronics. That's the
lesson.
:

Well, some women are great at such things, like my niece who has an EE
degree, but then she uses a Mac, so maybe her off the charts IQ has
faded since college days.... Grin.
Old December 16th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Bill Reece wrote:
well, well, well, I got lucky...no not that....maybe later...I got lucky
because my dear wife was very open to the exchange. So much so that we went
out to dinner and then swapped it and I didn't even have to put it back
under the tree. And I am so glad I did. What a sweet little camera!

I do have a question though. For those of you who have an A710-IS, I guess.
It records movies in quicktime, right? And if so, do anyone know how to
convert these to mpeg?

If you buy the Pro version of QT, it will do that conversion. Except
for the compatibility factor, QT .mov files are somewhat better at
maintaining quality of the image with excellent compression.

Old December 16th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

You, John, are a boring little fart.

--
Joan

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
:
: Clearly.
:
: But you could do netiquette.
:
: --
: lsmft

Canon A710 pr G7 Gerald Mann Digital Photography 16 December 7th 06 02:47 PM
Deciding between Canon SD800 IS, A710 IS, and Fuji F30 RSS Digital Photography 11 November 18th 06 12:43 AM
Canon A710 IS Dan Digital Photography 1 September 24th 06 05:43 AM
Opinions wanted : Olympus SP-510-UZ or Canon A710-IS QX Digital Photography 1 September 9th 06 01:43 PM
Canon i960 Compared to New Canon Pixma P6000D Photo Preinter: Opinions On ? Robert11 Digital Photography 4 October 21st 04 04:31 PM