Need help with Video Setup

Old November 11th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
fdfg

Default Need help with Video Setup

Hi,
I need a experimental setup, which requires me to monitor a small lab
area. It requires a video camera which would have high resolution and
able to send real-time video images to a PC. I dont think I would need
a high fps system, 24-30fps should do.

I tried looking up on the net, and found couple of options
1. Get a Wired CCTV camera with 1/3 type CCD
2. Or get a camcorder which could relay video to a PC.

I am not sure which one to go with, the specs for both look really the
same (in terms of resolution, fps, video capabilities) but option 1
seems to be relatively cheaper. Which one should I go with, do CCTV's
give the high resolution videos I need.

Thanks,
Ramesh

Old November 11th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

fdfg wrote:
: Hi,
: I need a experimental setup, which requires me to monitor a small lab
: area. It requires a video camera which would have high resolution and
: able to send real-time video images to a PC. I dont think I would need
: a high fps system, 24-30fps should do.

(No flaming intended)

A few people around here may be able to give their opinions, but you may
get much more specific advice if you posted your question to a more
appropriate group. This group is specifically concerned with digital still
photography (tho occasional discussions do touch on video as captured with
some digital still cameras with a video capture mode). It sounds like you
may want to find a group that discuses video, digital video, video
surveilance, spy gear, or something along those lines. The people in those
groups would have more extensive knowledge of what equipment is available
and my be able to give you more options at a better price than we would.

JMHO.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old November 11th 06, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
fdfg

Point taken.
I only posted after reading prior discussions threads...or a google
f@@$ probably.

fdfg

Old November 11th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

fdfg wrote:
: Point taken.
: I only posted after reading prior discussions threads...or a google
: f@@$ probably.

(grin) no problem. As I mentioned, video does get discussed from time to
time (and occasionally in off topic threads) but I had the impression that
you may be in need of more than an inexpensive point & shoot still camera
in video mode which would likely give you about 30 seconds to 3 min of
recording time before you have to change the recording media.

Good luck

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old November 11th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

oups.com...

Randy Berbaum wrote:
fdfg wrote:
[...]

If you need reasonable video quality, get a camcorder (cheap model mini-DV
will probably do unless you have rather low light levels), a fire wire
(IEEE1394) interface card and a video capture program for your operating
system if it does not come with the interface. These cameras have real glass
optics and 10 - 32 x optical zoom. Because of the small single sensor they
tend to be noisy in low light conditions.

Old November 11th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

fdfg wrote:
Hi,
I need a experimental setup, which requires me to monitor a small lab
area. It requires a video camera which would have high resolution and
able to send real-time video images to a PC. I dont think I would need
a high fps system, 24-30fps should do.

I tried looking up on the net, and found couple of options
1. Get a Wired CCTV camera with 1/3 type CCD
2. Or get a camcorder which could relay video to a PC.

I am not sure which one to go with, the specs for both look really the
same (in terms of resolution, fps, video capabilities) but option 1
seems to be relatively cheaper. Which one should I go with, do CCTV's
give the high resolution videos I need.

alt.security.alarms is probably a better place to ask, but a couple quick
answers for ya...

Primary consideration here is cost. A basic analog system will be relatively
cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you really want high-resolution, you'll
want to look into 1.3MP-and-up IP cameras - analog video cameras are limited to
520 TV lines, and most analog capture devices max out at around 640x480 or
704x480 resolution. A 1.3MP camera, by contrast, captures 1280x1024, or fully
four times the resolution, and they're also available in even higher resolutions
(2MP, 3MP and up).

The IP connection means you just plug it straight into your network (most
support Power-over-Ethernet spec). They can typically be monitored via their
built-in webserver using any web browser on the network, or can "push" images to
another device (server, recorder, etc.) No additional hardware is needed
(capture card, etc.)

For a good example, take a look a the "Vigil High Definition" (quite improperly
termed "HDTV") demo at http://www.camacc.com - they show quite clearly (pardon
the pun) the difference between a 1.3MP IP cam and standard analog capture
(note: the IQeye cameras they sell DO NOT *require* their software or hardware).
Old November 11th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

A video camera can have a motor constantly running, not good for long
life. Look into companies selling security cameras, you should for
50-200$ get one at 1/3-2mp

Old November 12th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
fdfg

Matt Ion wrote:

More than the cost consideration I would like to have a high-res cam
which can work indoors.

The IP connection means you just plug it straight into your network (most
support Power-over-Ethernet spec). They can typically be monitored via their
built-in webserver using any web browser on the network, or can "push" images to
another device (server, recorder, etc.) No additional hardware is needed
(capture card, etc.)

IP connections is a possibility, but for the delays. I atleast see 1
sec delay before I get to process the data.

For a good example, take a look a the "Vigil High Definition" (quite improperly
termed "HDTV") demo at http://www.camacc.com - they show quite clearly (pardon
the pun) the difference between a 1.3MP IP cam and standard analog capture
(note: the IQeye cameras they sell DO NOT *require* their software or hardware).

The pictures are too grainy and low-res.

Old November 13th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

fdfg wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:

More than the cost consideration I would like to have a high-res cam
which can work indoors.

Well that's the point: the higher the res, the higher the cost. How much do you
want to spend?

The IP connection means you just plug it straight into your network (most
support Power-over-Ethernet spec). They can typically be monitored via their
built-in webserver using any web browser on the network, or can "push" images to
another device (server, recorder, etc.) No additional hardware is needed
(capture card, etc.)

IP connections is a possibility, but for the delays. I atleast see 1
sec delay before I get to process the data.

If you want "instantaneous", you have to use analog cameras... and as already
stated, analog cameras are limited to 520 video lines at best; few analog
capture cards will process over 640x480 or 704x480. The analog video signal
simply doesn't provide higher resolution than that.

For a good example, take a look a the "Vigil High Definition" (quite improperly
termed "HDTV") demo at http://www.camacc.com - they show quite clearly (pardon
the pun) the difference between a 1.3MP IP cam and standard analog capture
(note: the IQeye cameras they sell DO NOT *require* their software or hardware).

The pictures are too grainy and low-res.

"Low res"?? 1.3MP is "low res"??? 1.3MP is close to 1080i HDTV resolution, and
pretty damn high for video. Look at a 3.1MP camera if that's not enough... but
be prepared to pay plenty for it.

Video CD with Quicktime Video AND JPEGS GaryS1953 Digital Photography 0 May 31st 06 08:21 PM
What setup do you use on people? Randy W. Sims Digital SLR Cameras 14 July 9th 05 07:13 AM
FS-Leica M6 TTL .72 Setup mdt 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 April 22nd 05 02:49 PM
IR setup Darrell Digital Photography 13 February 3rd 05 06:57 PM
better 10D setup please? S. f. S. Digital Photography 19 October 26th 04 03:12 AM