Dilution Question

Old February 19th 04, 07:10 AM
missblueamerican

Default Dilution Question

Hi--What does it mean for something to be diluted 1:50? In terms of
ounces and mililiters? What do the "parts" mean. In other words, of
you say one part developer, 3 parts water, what does that mean in
terms of ounces and mililiters?

Old February 19th 04, 07:58 AM
Richard Knoppow

"missblueamerican" wrote in
message
om...
Hi--What does it mean for something to be diluted 1:50? In

terms of
ounces and mililiters? What do the "parts" mean. In other

words, of
you say one part developer, 3 parts water, what does that

mean in
terms of ounces and mililiters?

First, 1:50 in _photography_ means one part of something
in 50 parts of something else for a total of 51 parts. This
is Kodak practice, in general chemistry 1:50 would mean one
part of something in a volume totaling 50 parts.
By _parts_ is meant equal measures, whatever they are.
Parts can be ounces or milliliters, or grams or tons but
each part is one unit. So saying to dilute a developer 1
part stock to 2 parts water would mean, for instance, using
one pint of stock solution to two pints water (totalling 3
pints).
Of course dilution implys liquid measure. "Parts"
sometimes is used for solid measure but is a sloppy way of
stating it.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 19th 04, 07:59 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 2/18/2004 10:10 PM missblueamerican spake thus:

Hi--What does it mean for something to be diluted 1:50? In terms of
ounces and mililiters? What do the "parts" mean. In other words, of
you say one part developer, 3 parts water, what does that mean in
terms of ounces and mililiters?

Like they used to say, parts is parts.

A "part" can be any measure. If you're using ounces, say, then 1:50 might mean
1 ounce (of concentrate) to 50 ounces *of total solution*. (That's where some
of the confusion enters, by the way: it *doesn't* mean 1 part concentrate to
50 parts water, for instance.) Or to double the total amount, 2 oz.
concentrate to 100 oz. total solution, and so on.

Works the same way with milliliters, gallons or shot glasses.

--
It's fun to demonize the neo-cons and rejoice in their discomfiture, but
don't make the mistake of thinking US foreign policy was set by Norman

- Alexander Cockburn, _CounterPunch_
(http://www.counterpunch.org), 9/17/03

Old February 19th 04, 01:52 PM
Severi Salminen

Gregory W Blank wrote:
It does not mean anything its either or. You could use 1-plus -49
or 1+50 at that ratio with little change. I would go with 1+49=50

That (1+49) is totally incorrect allthough there is little difference in
this example. 1+1 or 1:1 in photography means 1 part something and 1
part something else (thus totaling 2 parts). It does _not_ mean 1 part
of something in volume totaling 1 part.

1+50 with Rodinal means 1 part of Rodinal and 50 parts of water
resulting 51 parts of working solution. The same applies to most other
photographic chemicals. If you don't apply it correctly, you'll have
troubles when trying to dilute 1:1, for example.

IMHO for clarity it should allways be written A+B, not A:B.

Severi
Old February 19th 04, 01:54 PM
Jorge Omar

There is always a big confusion over this matter...

Kodak uses 1:50 while Ilford uses 1+50. Both means the same, but I feel
Ilford's way is more clear.

At 1+50, it really will not matter very much, but at 1+2 it will make a
significant difference.

So read it as one part of something (cc, ounce, whatever) added to many
parts of (usually) water.

As one example, to mix 300cc of dev at 1+2:

Divide 300 by 3 (1+2=3), so each part is 100cc.

The result is 100cc dev, 200cc water.

Jorge

(missblueamerican) wrote in
om:

Old February 19th 04, 02:02 PM
Severi Salminen

As one example, to mix 300cc of dev at 1+2:

Divide 300 by 3 (1+2=3), so each part is 100cc.

The result is 100cc dev, 200cc water.

And a general case:

To mix V amount of dev at A+B:

Developer (A) needed = V*A/(A+B)
Water (B) needed = V*B/(A+B)

In the example above A = 1, B = 2 and V = 300cc.

Severi "maths nerd" S.
Old February 19th 04, 02:32 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Severi Salminen wrote:

Gregory W Blank wrote:
It does not mean anything its either or. You could use 1-plus -49
or 1+50 at that ratio with little change. I would go with 1+49=50

That (1+49) is totally incorrect allthough there is little difference in
this example. 1+1 or 1:1 in photography means 1 part something and 1
part something else (thus totaling 2 parts). It does _not_ mean 1 part
of something in volume totaling 1 part.

1+50 with Rodinal means 1 part of Rodinal and 50 parts of water
resulting 51 parts of working solution. The same applies to most other
photographic chemicals. If you don't apply it correctly, you'll have
troubles when trying to dilute 1:1, for example.

IMHO for clarity it should allways be written A+B, not A:B.

Severi

Correct you are, at dilutions lower than 1+30 that is the way I do it,
at 1+50/ it matters very little if you use 1plus 50 or 1 plus 49.... consistancy is what matters. Its easier
to make an even increment, hence my rather differing method.

At 1:1 there is little doubt, 1 part and 1 part. at 1: 7 I add 1part and 7 to make
eight.

At (1:2: 100 )- I add .....1part plus two parts plus water for a total volume of 100.
which in my book is Less confusing and is consistant every time.

My end result I always use even increments....as the graduates are designed to measure them.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old February 19th 04, 05:05 PM
Mike King

one part developer and 3 parts water means one part developer and 3 parts
water. If you need 16 ounces of solution for your tank it's 4 oz stock and
12 oz water If you need 100 liters it's 25 liters stock and 75 liters water.

--
darkroommike

Old February 20th 04, 12:43 AM
Dan Quinn

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

... in general chemistry 1:50 would mean one part of something
in a volume totaling 50 parts.

And I suppose 1:1 "would mean one part of something in a volumn
totaling" one part. Is that correct? Dan