Where I keep my spare cats.

Old May 24th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

Whisky-dave
Tue, 23
May 2017 09:12:58 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2017 17:41:21 UTC+1, Diesel wrote:
Whisky-dave
Mon,
22 May 2017 09:49:19 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

It wasn't
written for your mac. So, your example, is a bad one.

Unless my mac was running gone of the emulators I have run in
the past.

It would affect the virtual environment your emulator provided
for it, then...It wouldn't be able to do much of anything with
your mac file system, or mac specific files within it.

Yea I know, been there done that, but I wouldfnlt worry as I'd
just unstuff the previous image and I;d be up and running again in
an hour or so.

Why would it take an hour or so?

But most people want their computers to do useful things for tehn
not just run an OS and marvel at it.

My linux based computers do useful things for me on a daily basis...

The poster of the link isn't the one who creates the
scripts dropbox uses, so what does trusting the poster have
to do with my question?

everything. Just like lending someone yuor car, computer or
anything else.

I fail to see the comparison.

That's obvious.

So the comparison I'm missing is?

Trust. Something that has no SI unit .

Again, how can you invoke trust if the user doesn't have any control
over the scripts dropbox uses? Trusting the user is fine and dandy,
but since they have no control over the scripts or their
programming, what good does it do you?

So again, I'll ask, since the user you
trust has no control over any of the scripts dropbox uses,
what difference does it make if you know the person or not?

same way I'd decide whether or not to lend someone money or a
car or camera or computer.

Are you having trouble understanding what I wrote? As, your
response to my question makes no sense.

your question is nosense.

No, it's not. I'm asking why you feel trust has any bearing on this
when the user you know has no control over the scripts dropbox uses
anymore so than the stranger you don't know, and, thus, don't trust.

So, how exactly does trust play an active role in your decision? If
one or more scripts are compromised, it doesn't matter who you trust
or don't trust at that point. The stranger and someone you know have
the same problem; they have no control over the scripts in use.

My site does NOT interact with you, offers a program that was
always free and has been discontinued for years now. there's
no incentive or reason otherwise to deal with paying for a
cert and encrypting the data. So again, you might want to
review the HTTPS link I provided you previously from slashdot
if you actually want the technical specifics on it. I suspect,
though, you could care less. As, it's likely beyond your
limited understanding. After all, you think a .zip file by
itself, is dangerous.

I don't trust such files from unkown sources.

As I told you, My domain has no secure areas for you to visit.
There's no valid reason for me to use HTTPS. Do you need to
research what a 'secure area' is?

couldn't care less not interersted.

But! You thought HTTPS made the site 'safe', now you don't want
to know why your comment wasn't accurate?

Safer than a site that doesn't.

If the site has no sensitive or secure areas, it makes little
difference. What you're actually experiencing is known as a false
sense of security. You're assuming that because such and such site
has HTTPS enabled, that it's automatically safer/more secure than
one that doesn't use it. Which is not the case. HTTPS enabled sites
have been hacked. They have been used to spread malware. HTTPS has
no control over that. Which isn't the fault of HTTPS, since it was
never designed for controlling that in the first place.

Like people that dont want to leant ho to aviod getting virus
scammed spammed and possibly be watched via insecure connections.
Rahter than thos ethat think they are clever by running old and
outdated software that is vunerable.

Can you cite any examples of a virus being able to infect you simply
by downloading and unzipping a .zip file, while doing nothing else?
Short of using a vulnerable archiving tool? Even one?

Although it's true that your ISP, etc, cannot view the contents of
your HTTPS established session, they can see that you connected to
such and such site. They just can't view the communications that
followed, directly. Which makes it useful if the site interacts with
you in a sensitive manner, such as online banking.

HTTPS hasn't always been as 'secure' as you seem to think though. It
has been exploited due to vulnerabilities discovered a decade prior
to the first proof of concept code:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/262...en-hacked.html

Certificate forgery/unauthorized copying has been an issue (and to
some extent, still is) too:

https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2...-internet.html

As I wrote, previously, you're enjoying a false sense of security
because you think if a site is HTTPS enabled, it's somehow 'secure'
and that's not always the case.

https://www.sslsupportdesk.com/tag/f...vulnerability/

The site itself could be using HTTPS and still contain malware
unknown to your defenses. Further, an HTTPS enabled site could be
'hacked' and still have HTTPS enabled. This isn't the fault of HTTPS
itself though, as it wasn't designed to prevent or detect such
unwanted changes to the site itself.

As I said, it provides a false sense of security if you blindly
trust the site simply because it's HTTPS enabled.

Old May 24th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Mon, 22
May 2017 18:45:13 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 12:41:21 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh
Mon,
22 May 2017 10:39:09 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you
have to grind.

I have no axe to grind...

Liar.

That's precisely why you just revived an old & dead thread to try
to be pedantic on my use of the slang term of "dinosaur juice".

*ahem*, No, I'm not.

Your a google groups user, I use a real usenet client. Since my
client is configured to download message bodies as well as headers,
it's kept all the threads for this newsgroup. There's many I still
haven't gotten around to reading yet. I noticed the thread, I read
the posts, and, I replied. Simple as that. What's 'old and dead' to
you doesn't mean the same to me.

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP
files" bull****.

You don't need to trust my zip file. Or me. I've provided enough
resources for you to fact check what I've written for yourself.

Your game was up as soon as one saw "alt.2600" it your headers.

Hows that? Just what do you think alt.2600 is? Are you familiar with
the terms, phreaking and tone generator? What game do you think I'm
playing with you or anyone else here?

Yes, my job is done. However, I'm not leaving just yet. I find
some of the conversations interest me. So, I'll remain for a bit.

BUT OF COURSE you'll find an excuse! /S

This is usenet. I'm free to come and go to any newsgroup my server
carries as I see fit. it's not a chatroom.

Besides, I've *never* taken orders from someone who's unable
to access usenet via a real server and client. I really don't
know how you can stand google groups idea of access...

Gosh, as if that lame excuse hasn't been tried before either!

Eh?

While Google Groups does have its shortcomings, in its favor its:

(a) entirely OS independent;

Well, not exactly. It requires a browser capable of rendering it. You
wouldn't be doing this on older OSes (say Win3x) well, if at all due
the sheer amount of cpu hungry client side scripting google uses...

(b) without any need to have Admin authority [1];

I don't need to be admin to use Xnews...

(c) provides full contextual continuity between multiple
devices[2]; (d) without any hassle of a {USB hardware} dongle[3];

dongle? WTF? There's no copy protection on Xnews. I suppose it's
possible you know of a usenet client that has some form of copy
protection, but, with the sheer amount of alternative choices
available to people for years, it wouldn't make for a good business
decision.

I don't know exactly what you mean by contextual continuity between
multiple devices either. You load a web browser and a url, and,
you're here (or someplace else). I can move Xnews around on my
windows and linux machines (works well under Wine aside from a font
issue) as I like. It's a portable app, you see.

(e) without having to write & run my own server to any of this;

I've written my own usenet server (and client) before, to familiarize
myself with the underlying protocol, but, I don't run my own server
to access usenet as I don't need to do so. Many free options exist.
Hell, my ISP still provides giganews access. I just don't use it.

(f) and so on (I'm probably forgetting a few other points).

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure to
maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading views, etc.
Having to be online to read posts, since you can't store them locally
on your own machine. Inability to save entire threads to a local
file, for reading later and/or archiving purposes. No notification of
replies to posts you've written, without logging into google first.
(If it supports that yet) Exposing your IP address with each post in
your headers. NNTP-Posting-Host: 143.85.5.26 from your post..

1 143.85.5.26 Succeed USA - Arizona TSACS-NET
Headquarters, USAISC 143.85.0.0 143.85.255.255
143.85.0.0/16 Yes Headquarters, USAISC NETC-ANC CONUS
TNOSC, Fort Huachuca 85613 disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
+1-844-347-2457 ARIN

Which tells me you're located in Sierra Vista, Arizona on an Army
base. If you elect to view this reply in it's original format, you'll
find no such identifying information in my headers.

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your own
privacy. Google gets to see what you read/write and where and, since
you have to login to post, you have to provide a legit email address.
And, in your case, you actually chose a domain name you control.

From that we can get this:
1 huntzinger.com whois.networksolutions.com Succeed
Registered 3/7/2018 3/7/2000 3/5/2017 H. Huntzinger
No
+1.85848106048584816499 US

Tech Name: Huntzinger, H
Tech Organization: Huntzinger
Tech Street: 1 Harmony Ln
Tech City: Denville
Tech State/Province: NJ
Tech Postal Code: 07834-2421
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.9735862908
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +1.9999999999
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email:

Mr Hugh A Huntzinger...

Related to a Margaret E Huntzinger from Denville, NJ. I'm assuming
this is your wife?

All this because of the information available in your headers, none
of which you'll find in mine.

Footnotes:

[1] - Admin is required to install a Newsreader Application

Oh which OSes specifically? You realize, not all 'Newsreader
Applications' require install?

[2] - Effectively, a cloud-based .rn file updated in real time

You meant .newsrc right? rn was an ancient newsclient (NewsReader)
originally developed in 1984...Did you ever use it?

[3] - an old suggestion which would have worked on some desktops
was to carry around one's newsreader's .rn file on a USB thumb
drive. But this presupposed [1] as well as that USB drivers
weren't disabled.

Umm, no. NewsReaders use a .newsrc file. It's a standardized file,
you know.

https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/softwar...uide/3_1_2.htm

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent match
to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in the last
~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a real news
client does not?

And so, you now have 48 hours from the timestamp of your next
r.p.d post to provide a better solution from the above capability
outline.

So far, I've provided examples of where your 'outline' is flawed.

FYI, the reason for this arbitrary 48 hour deadline is so that a
failure to respond in a timely fashion still counts (because we
all know how "brave" trolls are in admitting that they lost! /S).

I'm not a troll, and, at this point, I don't think I've lost
anything...And, I'm not trying to stalk you or otherwise intimidate
you either. I was simply making a point as to how much of your own
information you're throwing out there, just by choosing to use google
groups instead of an actual client and any number of free/paid
servers that will give you more control and privacy.

I am sorry for the loss of your diving friend, btw. I've lost friends
doing what they loved as well.

Old May 24th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/24/2017 7:42 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:19:44 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child. But
we have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the
dog lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons
was an infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog, that
was mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going
about five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she was an
awesome dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see often

As a puppy:
http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A
Wow! :-) I've never seen such a dog! Thanks for sharing the photographs.

Maya died two years ago at the age of 5 1/2. To say my wife was
devastated is an understatement. She was attached to that dog in a
way I had never seen. There are days where I still find her crying
over Maya.
I'm saddened to learn of your loss. I, too, have cried over the loss
of my pets over the years. They do, as you know, become a part of you.

They certainly do become part of us. We have two now, Bella and Bubba.
Bubba is from the same litter as Maya was. Bella is six months younger
from the same father but different mother. We haven't had Bubba since
he was a pup, we only had Maya at the time. Bella came six months
later. A family on Long Island not far from us bought Bubba. Three
years ago they decided they had to give him up. The couple who bought
him had a baby at the time and three years later had another one. Her
mother was going to care for the two children while the mother went back
to work but she was allergic to dogs so they gave him up. When you buy
a dog from the breeder we got them from, you agree that if you decide to
give up the dog for any reason then you must give the breeder first
opportunity to take the dog. The breeder is in North Carolina, quite a
distance from Long Island. The couple was being difficult and they were
adamant that they would give the breeder one week to come and get the
dog or else they would send him to a shelter. She was upset about this
because she couldn't get to Long Island within a week - she has a family
and a job and what-not to attend to. She asked us if we would take
Bubba until a suitable place was found for him. We agreed immediately
and after having him for a day, we decided we would keep him. He's a
timid dog but a good boy. I wonder what causes him to be so timid
because he avoids being pet most of the time, as if he is afraid. I
wonder how he was treated by his other family.

Stunning Shar Peis you have! I love the asian breeds Shar Pei, Akita
and Chow Chow. I've had Chows for the past 30+ years

A fellow hobbyist photog I know has a champion Chow-Chow he calls
Gus-Gus and he's a beautiful dog. On a shot where we met for the first
time, his wife came along and they brought the Chow-Chow they had at the
time. Those dogs have a reputation for being nasty but their Chow-Chow
was a friendly laid-back dog. Chow-Chows are on some insurance company
lists of breeds that, if the home owner has one, the company will not
provide homeowner's insurance for. I've met a few Chow-Chows and none
of them were nasty.

Old May 24th 17, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

-hh wrote:

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you
have to grind.

I have no axe to grind...

Liar.

That's precisely why you just revived an old & dead thread to try
to be pedantic on my use of the slang term of "dinosaur juice".

*ahem*, No, I'm not.

Your a google groups user, I use a real usenet client.

And as I explained, using a traditional USENET client doesn't
satisfy my personal workflow needs/priorities.

Those are the facts no matter how much you lamely try to be
oh so "l33t" by claiming that a traditional App is "real".
In fact, if you really were good at archive searches, you
would be able to find when I was using MT-Newswatcher, and
even earlier than that, trn and rn.

Since my
client is configured to download message bodies as well as headers,
it's kept all the threads for this newsgroup. There's many I still
haven't gotten around to reading yet. I noticed the thread, I read
the posts, and, I replied. Simple as that. What's 'old and dead' to
you doesn't mean the same to me.

Oh, I know quite well how .rn files work .. but nevertheless, you
chimed in on a thread which had otherwise ended ("dead") by the
other newsgroup regulars.

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP
files" bull****.

You don't need to trust my zip file. Or me. I've provided enough
resources for you to fact check what I've written for yourself.

Your game was up as soon as one saw "alt.2600" it your headers.

Hows that? Just what do you think alt.2600 is? Are you familiar with
the terms, phreaking and tone generator? What game do you think I'm
playing with you or anyone else here?

As in the blue boxes that Steve Jobs built & sold before Apple,
which enabled thefts of services from Bell Telephone. But that's
just its original history.

Yes, my job is done. However, I'm not leaving just yet. I find
some of the conversations interest me. So, I'll remain for a bit.

BUT OF COURSE you'll find an excuse! /S

This is usenet. I'm free to come and go to any newsgroup my server
carries as I see fit. it's not a chatroom.

True, but you claimed that your job was done.

Besides, I've *never* taken orders from someone who's unable
to access usenet via a real server and client. I really don't
know how you can stand google groups idea of access...

Gosh, as if that lame excuse hasn't been tried before either!

Eh?

Get a ****ing clue, newbie.

And I mean "newbie" in the USENET sense, not merely RPD.

While Google Groups does have its shortcomings, in its favor its:

(a) entirely OS independent;

Well, not exactly. It requires a browser capable of rendering it. You
wouldn't be doing this on older OSes (say Win3x) well, if at all due
the sheer amount of cpu hungry client side scripting google uses...

Oh, look: it is another complaint from Dustin about his personal
lack of a PC with any computational power. Have you perhaps
thought buying a new one from *this* decade?

(b) without any need to have Admin authority [1];

I don't need to be admin to use Xnews...

How about *installing* it, pedantic boy?

After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed.

(c) provides full contextual continuity between multiple
devices[2]; (d) without any hassle of a {USB hardware} dongle[3];

dongle? WTF? There's no copy protection on Xnews. I suppose ...

Nope...but you failed to read the [3] footnote: it made it clear
that this USB dongle was to have a local, yet transportable, copy
of one's Newsreader's .rn file, which you take with you via the
USB stick as one moves between different desktop PC's.

....oh, wait: you *do* know what an .rn file is, relative to
how Newsreaders are classically designed, don't you? Well kid,
it is where each newsgroup's article#'s for what's been read
(and by omission, what's not been read) data is stored. Back
in the era of trn/rn on Unix, it was a simple ASCII text file.

I don't know exactly what you mean by contextual continuity
between multiple devices either.

And it shows.

(e) without having to write & run my own server to any of this;

I've written my own usenet server (and client) before, to familiarize
myself with the underlying protocol, but, I don't run my own server
to access usenet as I don't need to do so. Many free options exist.
Hell, my ISP still provides giganews access. I just don't use it.

Nope, not what I was alluding to at all. This was alluding to
replacing the hardware USB dongle for the .rn file repository with
a cloud based one that each platform's newsreader App would use,
in lieu of a local one. The approach would have some headaches
for revision control with multiple open sessions, but...

(f) and so on (I'm probably forgetting a few other points).

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure to
maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading views, etc.

But of course there's downsides; life is like that.

Having to be online to read posts, ...

Hardly a problem with cellular data networks - - although I will
admit that I went ~3 weeks last year effectively without coverage,
while on vacation in South Africa and Namibia...and to keep this
post at least minimally on-topic to RPD, here's some photos from
that trip:

http://www.huntzinger.com/gallery/index.php/SAN

(If it supports that yet) Exposing your IP address with each post in
your headers. NNTP-Posting-Host: 143.85.5.26 from your post..

1 143.85.5.26 Succeed USA - Arizona TSACS-NET
Headquarters, USAISC 143.85.0.0 143.85.255.255
143.85.0.0/16 Yes Headquarters, USAISC NETC-ANC CONUS
TNOSC, Fort Huachuca 85613 disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
+1-844-347-2457 ARIN

Which tells me you're located in Sierra Vista, Arizona on an Army
base.

Gosh, really? /S

Now aren't you the guy who gets soooooo offended by others who
have reportedly "doxxed" you? And you're now doing it to others?
Is that not called being a hypocrite?

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your own
privacy.

Or know that attempts at anonymity are doomed to failure.

And, in your case, you actually chose a domain name you control.

From that we can get this:
1 huntzinger.com whois.networksolutions.com Succeed
Registered 3/7/2018 3/7/2000 3/5/2017 H. Huntzinger
No
+1.85848106048584816499 US

Tech Name: Huntzinger, H
Tech Organization: Huntzinger
Tech Street: 1 Harmony Ln
Tech City: Denville
Tech State/Province: NJ

New Jersey? But didn't you just claim that I'm in Sierra Vista, Arizona?

All this because of the information available in your headers, none
of which you'll find in mine.

Because trolls like to hide much more than honest people.

Footnotes:

[1] - Admin is required to install a Newsreader Application

Oh which OSes specifically? You realize, not all 'Newsreader
Applications' require install?

You can start with the market leaders: Microsoft Windows and
Apple OS X.

[2] - Effectively, a cloud-based .rn file updated in real time

You meant .newsrc right?

Probably so...its been so long since I used it, such small details
are relatively easy to forget.

rn was an ancient newsclient (NewsReader)
originally developed in 1984...Did you ever use it?

Yes, for several years. Go search the USENET archives, kid, and
you'll find proof in ancient headers.

[3] - an old suggestion which would have worked on some desktops
was to carry around one's newsreader's .rn file on a USB thumb
drive. But this presupposed [1] as well as that USB drivers
weren't disabled.

Umm, no. NewsReaders use a .newsrc file. It's a standardized file,
you know.

As I said, I didn't recall the exact file name correctly. That's
an extremely minor issue when you realize that I'm recalling
minutia from 30 years ago ... back when you were still in diapers.

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent match
to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in the last
~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a real news
client does not?

The ones listed above which you just tried to comment on.

And so, you now have 48 hours from the timestamp of your next
r.p.d post to provide a better solution from the above capability
outline.

So far, I've provided examples of where your 'outline' is flawed.

Wrong. All you've done is to fail to meet my stated capability requirements.

T-Minus 3 hours and counting.

FYI, the reason for this arbitrary 48 hour deadline is so that a
failure to respond in a timely fashion still counts (because we
all know how "brave" trolls are in admitting that they lost! /S).

I'm not a troll, ....

LOL.

and, at this point, I don't think I've lost anything...

Correct, because you still have 3 hours to go.

..And, I'm not trying to stalk you or otherwise intimidate
you either.

So you try to claim - - but it doesn't matter, because what
you did to is to "dox" another, which makes you a hypocrite.

I was simply making a point as to how much of your own
information you're throwing out there,...

Which I've known for decades, kid.

just by choosing to use google
groups instead of an actual client and any number of free/paid
servers that will give you more control and privacy.

Don't need to bother, and as I've already pointed out,
it would be much less convenient for me and my workflow's
use case.

-hh
Old May 25th 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gray_Wolf

On 5/24/2017 9:28 AM, PAS wrote:
On 5/24/2017 7:42 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:19:44 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

The name Gus-Gus sounds familiar. Do you recall the breeder's kennel name?
There were some ill bred Chows in the '80s when they were very popular.
They are not a dog for idiots. They need to be socialized from a very young age.
At times they have been the 'bad dog' of the press along with the GSD, Rott,
Dobe and
the current Pitt Bull. They don't accept abuse willingly and demand respect. I
never met one that was aggressively mean. Typically they weren't friendly to
strangers if I wasn't around. They weren't generally fond of salesmen at the
door either.

Old May 25th 17, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/24/2017 11:06 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 5/24/2017 9:28 AM, PAS wrote:
On 5/24/2017 7:42 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:19:44 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

I do not know which kennel Gus-Gus came from. Shar Peis are typically
not friendly to strangers either. Our first one was like that. If you
came to our house and knocked on the door, you would have thought that
she was a vicious dog the way she'd jump on the door and bark and
snarl. But once you walked into the house, she would walk away and not
come near you. Our others were much friendlier. The two we have now
get very excited whenever anyone comes in the house.

Old May 25th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gray_Wolf

On 5/24/2017 9:28 AM, PAS wrote:
On 5/24/2017 7:42 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:19:44 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

A couple of my Chows were pretty aloof. We were friends but they didn't care what
anyone else thought. They could be real snobs. The others enjoyed my friends coming
by for a visit. None would jump on you, lick you or make a big fuss over anybody.
Unlike most dogs they don't have a need to please people. If you are fortunate
to really
connect with a Chow it is a very special thing.

Old May 25th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Wed, 24
May 2017 21:58:53 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Since my
client is configured to download message bodies as well as
headers, it's kept all the threads for this newsgroup. There's
many I still haven't gotten around to reading yet. I noticed the
thread, I read the posts, and, I replied. Simple as that. What's
'old and dead' to you doesn't mean the same to me.

Oh, I know quite well how .rn files work .. but nevertheless, you
chimed in on a thread which had otherwise ended ("dead") by the
other newsgroup regulars.

newsrc files, you mean. Formally known as .rn files...Prior to
threading capable newsreaders came into existance...I'm not a regular
of your newsgroup, so it's not dead to me, or anyone else who comes
across it for the first time, either. As I wrote previously, this is
usenet, not a chatroom.

As in the blue boxes that Steve Jobs built & sold before Apple,
which enabled thefts of services from Bell Telephone. But that's
just its original history.

Sorry if I don't feel bad about taking ma bell for a ride on
occasion. Please don't tell me your a mac fanboy too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking

He wasn't the first to do it, and, wasn't the only one building
boxes.

True, but you claimed that your job was done.

In so far as warning people like yourself, which seem to be a bit
gullible concerning David Brooks and his need to stalk people who
refuse to do his bidding, yes. I can lead you to water, but, I can't
really force you to drink it.

Get a ****ing clue, newbie.

I haven't been a newbie in a very long time...

http://picpaste.com/HlZsFJlY.jpg

That's my name in 'lights' as BD likes to remind me, from time to
time. BD being the stalker that you've unknowingly been trying to
help. Ever hear of the program or the company Malwarebytes? They
recruited me to work for them, btw. I didn't even know they were
looking for researchers OR had any openings. I was working on my own
antimalware application known as BugHunter.

And I mean "newbie" in the USENET sense, not merely RPD.

Says the one who thinks google groups is intended for usenet and
makes for a great method of accessing usenet...I'm not new to usenet,
either. Prior to using a real client and prior to the existance of
google, I was on usenet via uucp and unix based shell accounts that I
succesfully hacked from college kids who thought they knew alot more
than they did.

The unix shell accounts were my first experience with the 'original'
(depending on who you ask) usenet client, known as rn. That's why I
asked if you were familiar with it, since you continue confusing
'newsrc' for the 'rn' ascii text file clients like it used, back in
the day.

Oh, look: it is another complaint from Dustin about his personal
lack of a PC with any computational power. Have you perhaps
thought buying a new one from *this* decade?

Your trolling skills need work, Hugh. You should learn how to read in
context. I was citing an example, I didn't say I had any machines
that old here.

How about *installing* it, pedantic boy?

It doesn't require installation. It's a 'portable' app. I don't
really agree with the buzzword anymore so than I do the 'cloud' but,
it is what it is, and as someone once reminded me, I don't control
the lexicon. You're nineteen years older than me...So, I don't know
why you keep referring to me as a 'boy' in a derogatory manner.

After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed.

Are you sure about that? You seem to be of the mistaken impression
that All apps require installation. They don't. Or, are you using the
word installed very loosely? To the point of a pantsize thats much
much too large to fit you, and, so rides your ankles?

https://portableapps.com/
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/core/

No installation required.

Nope...but you failed to read the [3] footnote: it made it clear
that this USB dongle was to have a local, yet transportable, copy
of one's Newsreader's .rn file, which you take with you via the
USB stick as one moves between different desktop PC's.

There's no rn file with Xnews. It uses a newsrc file. Why take the
newsrc file when I can just take the entire program with me? It works
on Windows and Wine under Linux. so.. it's quite adaptable. Doesn't
require admin level rights to run, either.

Doesn't require install, either. Copy directory (oh, sorry, in
Windows slang it's a 'folder') to the USB stick (dongle if you
insist, but, that reminds me of copy protected software for the most
part, back in the day) and run it from there, or, if you'd like, copy
it to the hosts local HD. Even as a non admin user, short of a corp
network environment, you have write access to some folders on the
machine.

...oh, wait: you *do* know what an .rn file is, relative to how
Newsreaders are classically designed, don't you?
Well kid, it is where each newsgroup's article#'s for what's been
read (and by omission, what's not been read) data is stored.
Back in the era of trn/rn on Unix, it was a simple ASCII text file.

It still is, but, it goes by the name 'newsrc' these days. I asked if
you used one of the original clients by the same name as rn. I used
it too, back in the day. When 'threaded' based clients came into
existance though, I happily switched. They have advantages over what
you're calling classic.

I don't know exactly what you mean by contextual continuity
between multiple devices either.

And it shows.

Shrug. Any device that can connect to the internet and use a browser
capable of parsing the scripts will see essentially the same thing on
screen (mobile devices obviously see a slightly different version;
but the posts themselves look pretty much the same) I don't see how
you consider that to be a feature specific to google, though.

Nope, not what I was alluding to at all. This was alluding to
replacing the hardware USB dongle for the .rn file repository with
a cloud based one that each platform's newsreader App would use,
in lieu of a local one. The approach would have some headaches
for revision control with multiple open sessions, but...

The newsrc file, you mean...Although, they are the same beastie,
clients these days use a file called 'newsrc' It has the same
internal structure for the most part as the original 'rn' file.

Some headaches?

I don't know why I'd just copy my newsrc file to take with me, when I
can just rar/zip/native copy the entire Xnews folder instead? As I
said, it's keeping local copies, has a search ability on all
databases internal to it, etc. It even keeps a copy of each usenet
post I create, in the event I want to review one or more later on
down the road. I can even do local searches based on a variety of
criteria.

Xnews works well under Windows and Wine under Linux, so, it's a
decent client, if you like the older look and feel. That and I have
some time invested in Xnews with some software I've written that
interacts with it's local files. Everything from .ini file
configuration to the .hdr, mbx files. You've seen some of the results
of that, without knowing it. That is, if you've examined my headers.

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure to
maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading views,
etc.

But of course there's downsides; life is like that.

Well, those are important things to me and others who've been on
usenet for decades and actually like the flexability and control
offered with a real client, vs a web portal interface. YMMV.

Hardly a problem with cellular data networks - - although I will
admit that I went ~3 weeks last year effectively without coverage,
while on vacation in South Africa and Namibia...and to keep this
post at least minimally on-topic to RPD, here's some photos from
that trip:

As I said. I don't have to be online to read/write replies/search
folders, upto the last point in time where my client downloaded the
message headers and associated message bodies. They're locally stored
when it does that.

Further, I can review them at any time I like, prior to them being
sent and make changes and/or delete them instead, if I so choose. I
can also delay which ones get sent and when. Can't do any of that
with google groups...

Which tells me you're located in Sierra Vista, Arizona on an Army
base.

Gosh, really? /S

My point in doing that was that your choice of usenet access provider
exposes information to the rest of us that doesn't need to be. The
internet can be a dangerous place, as you well know, why just give
people with nefarious intentions information they don't even have to
work for?

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your own
privacy.

Or know that attempts at anonymity are doomed to failure.

That depends on the steps you take, actually. And, privacy isn't the
same as anonymity, but, they are related to a point..

As for me, I had a sound reason behind providing my real name, years
ago. I had a lot of trust to regain due to outright, malicious
software I'm responsible for having authored. I knew when I released
my antimalware scanner, that due to a 'coding style signature', it
would only be a matter of time before someone familiar with the
malicious code I authored would figure out I wrote BugHunter, too. I
decided to head that off at the pass.

One can remain anonymous online, if proper steps are taken and it's
something they actually want to do.

All this because of the information available in your headers,
none of which you'll find in mine.

Because trolls like to hide much more than honest people.

I realize you think that by referring to me as a troll, it somehow
makes it true. I'm not actually a troll anymore so than yourself.

I 'hide' certain information as you put it due to David Brooks and
people just like him. He's tried to 'dox' me over the years, five or
six times now, and, it started because I refused to help him break
into systems he had no rights to, and copy information from those
systems that he had no right to have.

Basically, any address that comes up in a public records search, he
thinks I actually lived at. He's that ignorant concerning how things
work in the world. If you think public records searches are accurate
and immune to incorrect data, you're just as ignorant as he is.

You can start with the market leaders: Microsoft Windows and
Apple OS X.

Interesting. This machine happens to be running Windows. I'm
presently not logged in with Admin level rights, and, I didn't use
Admin level rights to create a folder for Xnews, unzip it there, and
configure it to my liking. It doesn't require installation. As I told
you. I certainly don't use the root or admin level accounts on my
linux machines for day to day things, either. Xnews runs fine on the
normal restricted user accounts on all my machines.

Yes, for several years. Go search the USENET archives, kid, and
you'll find proof in ancient headers.

You have nineteen years on me, so you can stop calling me a 'kid'.
Ok? And I didn't start with computers as a teenager or young
adult, either.

As I said, I didn't recall the exact file name correctly. That's
an extremely minor issue when you realize that I'm recalling
minutia from 30 years ago ... back when you were still in diapers.

See above. I wasn't in diapers thirty years ago, and, I've written
programs that are older...Do you have any more assumptions about me
you'd like to share? As I find the ones you have, very amusing.

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent
match to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in
the last ~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a real
news client does not?

The ones listed above which you just tried to comment on.

The only one that GG has on Xnews is it's ability to be accessed on
any device capable of an internet connection and a browser able to
parse the scripting. Which doesn't make it unique. It simply means
it's a web interface. A web based 'portal' to usenet, in all reality.

Xnews has many capabilities that GG does not have, though. Filtering,
threading, advanced searching, Local copy storage, offline use to
read/respond to already downloaded messages. Etc.

Wrong. All you've done is to fail to meet my stated capability
requirements.

The only valid requirement you have stated is the web portal aspect
to GG. Xnews isn't a web portal, it's an actual Newsreader with
abilities that exceed that of which GG is able to offer you.

T-Minus 3 hours and counting.

While I find your clock rather amusing, it doesn't mean I care about
meeting 'conditions' you set on me in the time limit you impose.

You prefer to access usenet via a web portal, and, I prefer a real
client. It's as simple as that. The real client has more features and
abilities, which suit me. YMMV.

So you try to claim - - but it doesn't matter, because what
you did to is to "dox" another, which makes you a hypocrite.

MID:

Pot-kettle-black, then?

I fully admit that I have, 'dox'd David Brooks in a rather large way.
because I wouldn't do some shady things on his behalf.

Which I've known for decades, kid.

Again, you're nineteen years older than myself, so you can quit with
the condescending 'kid' remark.

Don't need to bother, and as I've already pointed out,
it would be much less convenient for me and my workflow's
use case.

A web browser with the limitations present on google suits your
'workflow' better? That just wouldn't work for me. Maybe I'm a bit of
a control freak then, as I like the control a real client affords me.

Old May 25th 17, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/24/2017 9:28 AM, PAS wrote:
On 5/24/2017 7:42 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:19:44 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

One of my friends chow had the wanderlust. It barely knew me, but when
he saw my car, he would happily jump right in, and bring him home. When
I was around he was a sweeet as could be, to everybody. His owner was
amazed, as with most others he was highly territorial. Go figger.

--
PeterN
Old May 26th 17, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 5:41:16 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Since my
client is configured to download message bodies as well as
headers, it's kept all the threads for this newsgroup. There's
many I still haven't gotten around to reading yet. I noticed the
thread, I read the posts, and, I replied. Simple as that. What's
'old and dead' to you doesn't mean the same to me.

Oh, I know quite well how .rn files work .. but nevertheless, you
chimed in on a thread which had otherwise ended ("dead") by the
other newsgroup regulars.

newsrc files, you mean. Formally known as .rn files...Prior to
threading capable newsreaders came into existance...

Which merely means that I got some of my old IT history a bit blended,
by using the original name instead of the more recent (and PC based) one.

I'm not a regular of your newsgroup, so it's not dead to me, or anyone
else who comes across it for the first time, either. As I wrote previously,
this is usenet, not a chatroom.

And all posts have dates on them. Given that this is still a reasonably
active group, you had to deliberately go past the active threads to go find
the old ones. Given that your post targeted me, it was motivationally
nothing more than a troll attempt. Quite lame & childishly petty.

As in the blue boxes that Steve Jobs built & sold before Apple,
which enabled thefts of services from Bell Telephone. But that's
just its original history.

Sorry if I don't feel bad about taking ma bell for a ride on
occasion.

Oh, your lack of morals is already quite obvious.

Please don't tell me your a mac fanboy too?

Oh, look: its another lame "L33t" attempt.

Sorry kid, but AFAIC, they're all just tools in the toolbox,
and I don't subscribe to the irrational fanboy crap. So
I use different ones at different times, including Linux.

True, but you claimed that your job was done.

In so far as warning people like yourself, which seem to be a bit
gullible concerning David Brooks and his need to stalk people who
refuse to do his bidding, yes. I can lead you to water, but, I can't
really force you to drink it.

Except that you're the one who has made poorly based assumptions
on gullibility and who needs your supposed "help".

Get a ****ing clue, newbie.

I haven't been a newbie in a very long time...

Yet you're still very much acting like one ... so I'll just say instead
that you're a PSL ... short for "Painfully Slow Learner"

And I mean "newbie" in the USENET sense, not merely RPD.

Says the one who thinks google groups is intended for usenet and
makes for a great method of accessing usenet...

Nice straw man you tried to build there - - too bad its already been proven wrong.

Oh, look: it is another complaint from Dustin about his personal
lack of a PC with any computational power. Have you perhaps
thought buying a new one from *this* decade?

Your trolling skills need work, Hugh. You should learn how to read in
context. I was citing an example, I didn't say I had any machines
that old here.

Didn't really read that way to me, nor when you complained about I-81 traffic.

How about *installing* it, pedantic boy?

It doesn't require installation. It's a 'portable' app.

It still comes down to how the Admin was set up; some will lock down
to the point of prohibiting any .exe from running. I've even seen some
systems where one can't install a new printer.

After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed.

Are you sure about that? You seem to be of the mistaken impression
that All apps require installation. They don't.

It still comes down to how restrictive the Admin was set up (and what
options their Admin pkg has). I've seen/used some which were locked
down to the point of prohibiting a random .exe from running. Similarly,
where one can't even install a new printer...or updated print driver to
an existing printer (yes, on first glance, that one seems stupid).

Nope...but you failed to read the [3] footnote: it made it clear
that this USB dongle was to have a local, yet transportable, copy
of one's Newsreader's .rn file, which you take with you via the
USB stick as one moves between different desktop PC's.

There's no rn file with Xnews. It uses a newsrc file. Why take the
newsrc file when I can just take the entire program with me?

Because the conversation that this stems from was from a decade
ago, when big USB sticks weren't dirt cheap, etc.

Doesn't require admin level rights to run, either.

Oh, so then let me go test your claim by taking a copy of Xnews
to a PC on a USB and plugging it in ... oh, look: they've locked
out the USB port drivers for all storage media too.

Doesn't require install, either. Copy directory (oh, sorry, in
Windows slang it's a 'folder')

Windows? I thought I was a Mac 'fanboy'?

Just give me a "ls -laF" and I'll be fine.

I don't know exactly what you mean by contextual continuity
between multiple devices either.

And it shows.

Shrug. Any device that can connect to the internet and use a browser
capable of parsing the scripts will see essentially the same thing on
screen (mobile devices obviously see a slightly different version;
but the posts themselves look pretty much the same) I don't see how
you consider that to be a feature specific to google, though.

Because they invisibly & painlessly handle the .rn (or .newsrc) file
updates automatically for me, as I move between devices/platforms:
my read/unread thread are all up to date ... with zero effort on my part.

Nope, not what I was alluding to at all. This was alluding to
replacing the hardware USB dongle for the .rn file repository with
a cloud based one that each platform's newsreader App would use,
in lieu of a local one. The approach would have some headaches
for revision control with multiple open sessions, but...

The newsrc file, you mean...Although, they are the same beastie,
clients these days use a file called 'newsrc' It has the same
internal structure for the most part as the original 'rn' file.

And in trying to be pendant, you dodged the key point.

Some headaches?

I don't know why I'd just copy my newsrc file to take with me, when I
can just rar/zip/native copy the entire Xnews folder instead?

Which is still more work...you're not going to beat ZERO effort.

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure to
maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading views,
etc.

But of course there's downsides; life is like that.

Well, those are important things to me and others who've been on
usenet for decades and actually like the flexability and control
offered with a real client, vs a web portal interface. YMMV.

Sorry, kid, but your l33t attempts fall flat. I've been online for longer
than you've been alive...and I'm not talking about as a 6th Grader
playing Oregon Trail -- I'm talking about having a paid IT job.

Hardly a problem with cellular data networks - - although I will
admit that I went ~3 weeks last year effectively without coverage,
while on vacation in South Africa and Namibia...and to keep this
post at least minimally on-topic to RPD, here's some photos from
that trip:

As I said. I don't have to be online to read/write replies/search
folders ...

And you continue to choose to miss the point.

Further, I can review them at any time I like, prior to them being
sent and make changes and/or delete them instead, if I so choose. I
can also delay which ones get sent and when. Can't do any of that
with google groups...

Nope, and it simply isn't an important capability for my workflows.

I'm aware of the options of Newsreaders, as I did use them for a couple
of decades. Kid, the problem you're having is that you're arrogantly
assuming that you're telling me something that I didn't already know.

Which tells me you're located in Sierra Vista, Arizona on an Army
base.

Gosh, really? /S

My point in doing that was that your choice of usenet access provider
exposes information to the rest of us that doesn't need to be. The
internet can be a dangerous place, as you well know, why just give
people with nefarious intentions information they don't even have to
work for?

There's reasons, even if you don't grok them.

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your own
privacy.

Or know that attempts at anonymity are doomed to failure.

That depends on the steps you take, actually.

Not for years now.

And, privacy isn't the same as anonymity, but, they are related to a point..

The best security option is to never put it online, ever. And even that has
ways of being breached today.

As for me, ...

Sorry, but I don't really care about your life story.

One can remain anonymous online, if ...

Nope.

Yes, for several years. Go search the USENET archives, kid, and
you'll find proof in ancient headers.

You have nineteen years on me, so you can stop calling me a 'kid'.

Sorry, but your performance haven't earned you anything better.

Ok? And I didn't start with computers as a teenager or young
adult, either.

So if you're not a kid, then you're just a PSL ("Painfully Slow Learner").

As I said, I didn't recall the exact file name correctly. That's
an extremely minor issue when you realize that I'm recalling
minutia from 30 years ago ... back when you were still in diapers.

See above. I wasn't in diapers thirty years ago...

PSL Hint: I really wan't talking about biological age.

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent
match to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in
the last ~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a real
news client does not?

The ones listed above which you just tried to comment on.

The only one that GG has on Xnews is it's ability to be accessed on
any device capable of an internet connection and a browser able to
parse the scripting.

Pretty much.

Which doesn't make it unique.

Probably not today .. but you failed to actually prove that such alternative
products, in a viable form, actually exist.

Xnews has many capabilities that GG does not have...

True, but merely aren't higher priorities for my workflow choices.

Wrong. All you've done is to fail to meet my stated capability
requirements.

The only valid requirement you have stated is the web portal aspect
to GG.

And that was good enough.

Xnews isn't a web portal, it's an actual Newsreader with
abilities that exceed that of which GG is able to offer you.

No, the fact that Xnews can do "different stuff" does not mean "better".

You really don't know how to actually generate or analyze capability
requirements, do you kid?

The first objective is to assure that the capability requirements are satisfied.
That's where you've failed, kid.

T-Minus 3 hours and counting.

While I find your clock rather amusing, it doesn't mean I care about
meeting 'conditions' you set on me in the time limit you impose.

The lady doth protest too much.

You prefer to access usenet via a web portal, and, I prefer a real
client. It's as simple as that. The real client has more features and
abilities, which suit me. YMMV.

So you try to claim - - but it doesn't matter, because what
you did to is to "dox" another, which makes you a hypocrite.

MID:

Pot-kettle-black, then?

Another failure on your part, because you've failed to show that
I've been offered by others doxing me.

Again, you're nineteen years older than myself, so you can quit with
the condescending 'kid' remark.

Sorry, but you still haven't shown being deserving anything better than "kid", kid.

-hh