X-T2 @ Yosemite Today SOOC

Old May 18th 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default X-T2 @ Yosemite Today SOOC

On 2017-05-18 03:55:30 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Wed, 17 May 2017 16:46:58 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-17 23:30:06 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Wed, 17 May 2017 09:06:45 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-17 09:08:57 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 16 May 2017 20:58:44 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-17 02:10:39 +0000, John McWilliams said:

On 5/16/17 PDT 4:50 AM, sid wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

I took a drive up to Yosemite today. Here are few shots SOOC, loaded into
my iPhone (I don't have my iPad or laptop with me) and then to Dropbox.
I did a little noodling about with my X-T2 shooting RAW+JPEG. These are a
few of the SOOC JPEGs. There are some where I tried some longer exposures
with fast running water.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ru4r3z0oad73sj/File%20May%2014%2C%2017%2038%2001.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/olv8r01v0cmdv6w/File%20May%2014%2C%2017%2037%2026.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0mcxgeppn1upww/File%20May%2014%2C%2017%2035%2018.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aze9uofuhv2di5v/File%20May%2014%2C%2017%2030%2038.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bw6qp8icze5pin/File%20May%2014%2C%2017%2031%2049.jpeg

Anyway

am

spending

the night here, so I will be shooting more in the
morning.

Whilst the detail contained within the shots is all good they are all a bit
underexposed and lack contrast. They are all greatly improved with just a
slight S curve applied in your curves tool of choice.

Not sure I agree; I rather like the muted tones on an overcast day.

Here is a different take on Half-Dome, along with a few of the usual suspects:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epgeyyp4avwbo5l/DSF4554-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fl816t3q54tjifw/DSF4570-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj06j4oyn5tsut6/DSF4603-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfkhzj7w7ir4q72/DSF4655-E2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9vhnw0dtn8die2/DSF4715-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kh2pu05ihl478p/DSF4623-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7lj081y5hqtihj/DSF4632-E.jpg

To me, they all seem to have a steely-gray look - almost a drab look.

Well both days were pretty overcast and drab.

The weather is always wrong when you take a special trip. Nevertheless
I suspect it's not just the weather and the lighting of the time.

OK. Yeah, the granite had quite a lot to do with it.

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

I first had a go at haze in Lab mode and then applied individual
curves to R, G and B channels. Then I found it beneficial to slightly
increase the exposure and gamma. Finally I applied smart sharpening.

Sorry to say that looks very wrong, and a tad oil paintish.

However, since you are in a tinkering mood, here is an RAF for you to
play with. I will leave it up for 24 hours.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

I should also add. until my X-Rite i1 arrives I am having to rely on
the original factory calibration of my monitors which are currently
set to AdobeRGB. This should really only affect the greener greens of
which there are few so it shouldn't be too wrong even when viewed in
sRGB.

Savageduck

Old May 18th 17, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-18 04:07:46 +0000, Bill W said:

On Thu, 18 May 2017 15:55:30 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

You noticed.

Savageduck

Old May 18th 17, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

--
PeterN
Old May 18th 17, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...
Old May 18th 17, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...

Here is the RAF if you care to try.

Old May 18th 17, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...

Here is the RAF if you care to try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

Since my PC is back in action, I'll probably give it a try tomorrow.
Old May 18th 17, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Old May 18th 17, 10:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2017-05-17 02:10:39 +0000, John McWilliams said:

On 5/16/17 PDT 4:50 AM, sid wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

[...]

I've got it, but it will be tomorrow before I play with it.

Old May 18th 17, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I.

wish I could do better...

You can. The same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, practice,
practice. ;-)

Seriously, the only one you need to please is yourself. We don't all
like the same thing. When, not if, I produce something that others don't
like, I try to sit back and see is it me, or the viewer
Two examples:
In this image I deliberately oversaturated the colors, and oversharpened
for the effect.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg51cxzw9xlp8io/Inedible.jpg?dl=0

A more realistic view of the wild turkey:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao4wqtcalfsrlma/Thanksgiving%20escapee.jpg?dl=0

If you decide to enter competitions, have a thick skin. Here is one that
i really like. It did very well at my local CC and in our parent
organization, but it did not get a ribbon at NECCC, several years ago.
when I picked up the print, one of the judges volunteered that they
really liked the image, but if I had shown the eyes, it would have won
some placement. To me the image was the chimps appearing to be studying.
Had I lightened the eyes of the right hand chimp, it would not be the
same image. i simply thanked the judge.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w752wmkxu6aqg5r/the%20cxonference.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old May 18th 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...

Here is the RAF if you care to try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

Okay, here's what I did:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/19e11z

I would guess that this is not an accurate rendering of what is
actually there, at least as far as the white balance is concerned. I
fiddled with it until I thought it looked okay, and that's that. I
agree with someone else (Eric?) who said the original looks hazy, but
you did say the conditions weren't so great that day.