GATORS LOVE THE 40D !

Old April 9th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Annika1980

Default GATORS LOVE THE 40D !

http://www.pbase.com/image/95352185

This one may look a little strange since it's a compilation of about
10 shots taken with different focal lengths and focus points. Kind of
a Helicon Focus thingy without the software.

I'll try to go back and get some better shots to work with later this
week.

Old April 9th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Troy Piggins[_12_]

* Annika1980 wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/image/95352185

This one may look a little strange since it's a compilation of about
10 shots taken with different focal lengths and focus points. Kind of
a Helicon Focus thingy without the software.

Looks pretty good considering. There are some blurry spots
unfortunately. Reckon most could go uncommented on except the
lower gators tip of nose - that stands out to me.

Can I ask why it needed to be done this way? To get greater
depth of field? Like manual focus stacking?

I'll try to go back and get some better shots to work with later this
week.

Look forward to that.

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old April 9th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Helen[_2_]

On Apr 8, 7:46*pm, Annika1980 wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/image/95352185

This one may look a little strange since it's a compilation of about
10 shots taken with different focal lengths and focus points. *Kind of
a Helicon Focus thingy without the software.

I'll try to go back and get some better shots to work with later this
week.

Though the nose of the bottom gator is out of focus, it's not
important to me, as the 2 main subjects eyes are in focus. That's
important as one can really feel the terror these beasts give, even if
they are babies. The blurred background of another gator adds a nice
touch.
I like the dark background as it contrasts nicely with the main
subjects, helping to bring them out more. Good color and contrast.
The orange colored light in the top left corner is distracting, but
easily removed.
Great work of compilation.
Helen
Old April 9th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Annika1980

On Apr 8, 8:01*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
* Annika1980 wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/image/95352185

Can I ask why it needed to be done this way? *To get greater
depth of field? *Like manual focus stacking?

Yes. I was already pretty close to the lower gator ... only about a
foot or two away shooting through the glass. The top gator was about
8 inches behind the bottom one so DOF was a problem, especially with
the lens I was shooting (70-200 f/2.8L) and the fact that I had to use
an Extension Tube to get that close.
I was already at 1/13 sec, @ f/8, ISO400 shooting handheld so closing
it down further would have been problematic.

With a different lens I should be able to get better results.
Old April 9th 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Helen[_2_]

* Annika1980 wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/image/95352185

Can I ask why it needed to be done this way? *To get greater
depth of field? *Like manual focus stacking?

Yes. *I was already pretty close to the lower gator ... only about a
foot or two away shooting through the glass. *The top gator was about
8 inches behind the bottom one so DOF was a problem, especially with
the lens I was shooting (70-200 f/2.8L) and the fact that I had to use
an Extension Tube to get that close.
I was already at 1/13 sec, @ f/8, ISO400 shooting handheld so closing
it down further would have been problematic.

With a different lens I should be able to get better results.

Yes, the removal of that light is much better.
I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Old April 9th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Annika1980

"I am a Bignose."

Old April 9th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Annika1980

On Apr 9, 7:16*am, "Rita Berkowitz" wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
With a different lens I should be able to get better results.

Sounds like you are lusting for a Nikkor!

Only only April 1st, fool.

Old April 9th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Draco

On Apr 8, 7:46*pm, Annika1980 wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/image/95352185

(snip)
I was already at 1/13 sec, @ f/8, ISO400 shooting handheld...

Nice shot. Did you use a fill flash also or was it "natural" light
from the inclosure?

Using the differant focal lengths, is that the reason the second gator
have a "over bite" look to him or did he really look like that?

Very good set up. Eyes being sharp. Not being dead centered.
Slightly angled. Background being soft and not distracting.

Hope to see more of your work and thanks for sharing.

Draco