Higher-end compact or SLR for me?

Old November 29th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dan Lenski

Default Higher-end compact or SLR for me?

Hi all,
I've been using an Olympus C-740 UZ for several years, and it's
showing its age. It's been a great first camera, and I'm a big fan of
the 10X optical zoom, but I'm tiring of its low resolution, no sound
for movies, electronic viewfinder, and long shutter lag.

I'm researching my options for a new one. On the one hand, I'm
tempted to go for something small enough to keep in my pocket. On the
other hand, I want good zoom and manual controls (for nature and
wildlife photos) and have been really dazzled by the photos one of my
friends gets from his Canon 350D SLR. And I'd like to be able to buy
something for $500-600 with lens.

* Canon PowerShot G9 - High-end compact, 6X optical zoom, can do good
movies... but dpreview.com is not impressed by its picture quality at
high ISO (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/)
* Canon EOS 400D - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, seems to be the
de facto standard, but it's pretty expensive and apparently the lens
kit is not so great (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
page29.asp)
* Olympus E-410 - SLR, well-reviewed by dpreview.com, CHEAP compared
to Canon 400D, but not as good dynamic range (http://www.dpreview.com/
reviews/olympuse410/)

Anyone have any advice for how to decide one way or another? I'm sort
of leaning towards the Olympus E-410 right now since I could afford to
start out with a 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens kit. But possibly this is
overkill for me and I should be aiming for a compact? Is there
anything similar in size and features to the G9 that I should
consider? Thanks for any help.

Dan

Old November 30th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Lenski

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:19:14 -1000, Scott W wrote:
You really should do more then just look at review, it would be a very
good idea to try a number of the cameras you are looking at. For me
using a DSLR is not just about better images, it is also a lot more fun
to use, at least for me.

The Olympus might not be getting great marks for dynamic range but it
will still be far better then any compact camera.

Scott

Thanks Scott!

I do plan to go try them out soon. I have already used the Canon 350D and
enjoyed it a lot, had a great feel and easy to use for me. I definitely
want to try the Olympus E-410 in person, because I've heard it may be
slightly awkward for someone with large hands. So pretty much no
comparison between the dynamic range of a compact and an SLR? Very
tempting...

Thanks,
Dan

Old November 30th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:01:12 -0800, Dan Lenski wrote:

[...]

You seem to be outlining two different sets of requirements - sounds to me
like you'd really like two cameras. A P&S to pack around most of the time,
and a DSLR when you're 'more serious' about it.

Old November 30th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Daniel
Lenski wrote:

My good options are the Nikon D40, Canon EOS 350D or 400D, and Olympus
E410 or E510, I think.

Go with the Nikon or the Canon. Jeez...why waste money on something
less?

Old November 30th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

ray wrote:
[]
You seem to be outlining two different sets of requirements - sounds
to me like you'd really like two cameras. A P&S to pack around most
of the time, and a DSLR when you're 'more serious' about it.

Dan,

For the compact but versatile, I have been pleased with the Panasonic TZ3:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

David

Old November 30th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Daniel Lenski wrote:
[]
The advice I keep getting is to focus on availability of good lenses.
Which makes the Canons come out way ahead, I gather.

Eh? The Nikon lenses are much better at the lower-cost end of the range,
and they are somewhat equal at the higher-cost end.

[]
What do you think about the prospects of the 4/3 Olympus lens system?
Will I have better choice in a year or 5 if I get really serious?

Thanks,
Dan

For me, the 4/3 system has been a disappointment, in that it has not
produced enough size and weight saving to offset the poorer performance of
the smaller sensor. The Nikon D40/D40x and kit lens are almost as light,
and more versatile with lens choice. I got the D40 with the 18-55 kit
lens and 55-200 VR lens (the image stabilisation is very helpful).

Beyond that, handle the cameras, and if possible, try and define what type
of photography or what aspect of photography matters to you.

Cheers,
David

Old November 30th 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Dan . wrote:

I'm researching my options for a new one. On the one hand, I'm
tempted to go for something small enough to keep in my pocket. On the
other hand, I want good zoom and manual controls (for nature and
wildlife photos) and have been really dazzled by the photos one of my
friends gets from his Canon 350D SLR. And I'd like to be able to buy
something for $500-600 with lens.

If you want zooms up in the 8x or more range,
I think you'll be best off (on finite budget)
with a good "bridge" camera.

Getting very long zooms with a large sensor
requires a lot of glass.

I did this at DPREVIEW.com

Release Status: Not discontinued (current or upcoming)
Sensor photo detectors: 8 million or more
Zoom tele (T): 320 mm or more
Aperture priority: Yes
Shutter priority: Yes
Uncompressed format: RAW

and got:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18
Olympus SP-560 UZ
Nikon Coolpix 8800
Fujifilm FinePix S8000 fd
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30
Samsung Pro815

BugBear
Old November 30th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message .uk...
Daniel Lenski wrote:
[]
[...]

I agree 100%. In fact I too tried the Olympus and brought it back the next
day..
I have the D40 and D40x. Both outstanding and very good in dynamic range and
light metering. It's even said it 's better than the D80 and even D200. The
D80 I can confirm; better with highlights.
Another thing is handling. The Nikon feels so much better than the Canon.
The door to the card is very easy to open when your card is full; much
easier than any other dslr. The kit lens, 18-55 is the best of all
kitlenses. I also have the 55-200 VR and agree it´s very good.
I´ve taken thousands of pictures with both and just the other day I was in a
shopping mall, looking at the Pentax, Canon, Nikon and Olympus. Holding,
feeling and see thru the viewfinder. The cheap Nikon has about the brightest
view!
The 400D looks like when you´re looking thru a tunnel, compared. The body
feels very plastic and flimsy. Pentax K10 much more expensive and very
heavy, but unlogical to handle. I tried to open the card door but it took me
a while to discover: you have to look at the back (door is on the side, go
figure!) and lift a very small latch that you can only touch with the tip of
your nail and then in one movement have to turn to open the door. The first
time the latch jumped back (spring loaded) so I had to try again. Geez, what
a pain. Hold it, all you people, animals: I need a few minutes to change my
card. LOL Great for action shooting...

The 400D looses all pictures in memory if by accident you open the door. It
also has no spot metering and the kit lens is very bad in all tests.

--
"I don´t need a camera,
I have a photographic memory..."