Picking the proper lens for your 5D

Old November 17th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Picking the proper lens for your 5D

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
There's absolutely no sense in buying a 5D unless you are going to mate it
with the proper lens.

http://www.auto-tel.com/ebay/200mmf215.JPG

Isn't it nice of Canon to be compatible with Nikon's lenses?

-Wolfgang
Old November 18th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

Isn't it nice of Canon to be compatible with Nikon's lenses?

It definitely was a great strategy since Canon wasn't able to produce
acceptable glass. They did screw me by not making all my FD lenses mount.
I had to sell them in disgust.

You didn't "have" to sell them in disgust, you chose to sell them in
disgust.
Canon does, or did, produce a lens actually in the same league, if not a tad
superior to the lens you are using, the 200mm f1.8L USM. (Photoszone grades
the Canon at 4.6, the Nikkor at 4.1...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 18th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Skip" wrote in message
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

Isn't it nice of Canon to be compatible with Nikon's lenses?

It definitely was a great strategy since Canon wasn't able to produce
acceptable glass. They did screw me by not making all my FD lenses
mount. I had to sell them in disgust.

You didn't "have" to sell them in disgust, you chose to sell them in
disgust.
Canon does, or did, produce a lens actually in the same league, if not a
tad superior to the lens you are using, the 200mm f1.8L USM. (Photoszone
grades the Canon at 4.6, the Nikkor at 4.1...

All such lens tests are suspect. Anyway, Canon doesn't make an eBay-approved
camera.

Neil

Old November 19th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Neil Harrington wrote:

"Skip" wrote in message
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

Isn't it nice of Canon to be compatible with Nikon's lenses?

It definitely was a great strategy since Canon wasn't able to produce
acceptable glass.

First you say the MP-E is very good, next you say Canon isn't
able to produce acceptable glass. Hmmm.

They did screw me by not making all my FD lenses
mount. I had to sell them in disgust.

Poor you, I really held a gun to your head, didn't I?

You didn't "have" to sell them in disgust, you chose to sell them in
disgust.
Canon does, or did, produce a lens actually in the same league, if not a
tad superior to the lens you are using, the 200mm f1.8L USM. (Photoszone
grades the Canon at 4.6, the Nikkor at 4.1...

All such lens tests are suspect.

If they don't tell what I want, sure, they must be suspect.
Can't have any odd test tell me I was wrong. But if they
show what I want them to say ... well, then the test is
obviously valid! Right, Neil?

Anyway, Canon doesn't make an eBay-approved camera.

I wonder if all the great photographers used an 'eBay-approved'
camera. Probably not. Anyway, Nikon doesn't make a 'me-approved'
lens, and nobody gives a rat's behind, either, so there!

-Wolfgang
Old November 19th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
news
Neil Harrington wrote:

"Skip" wrote in message
[...]

I am not the first one to point out that camera lenses are made to take
photographs, not run lens tests. I'm not saying that such tests have no
value, only that they are not the be-all and end-all of evaluating lens
performance.

Anyway, Canon doesn't make an eBay-approved camera.

I wonder if all the great photographers used an 'eBay-approved'
camera. Probably not. [ . . . ]

All the great eBay photographers do. But don't take my word for it; ask
Rita.

Neil

Old November 21st 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Neil Harrington wrote:

All such lens tests are suspect.

If they don't tell what I want, sure, they must be suspect.
Can't have any odd test tell me I was wrong. But if they
show what I want them to say ... well, then the test is
obviously valid! Right, Neil?

I am not the first one to point out that camera lenses are made to take
photographs, not run lens tests.

True.

I'm not saying that such tests have no value, only that they are not
the be-all and end-all of evaluating lens performance.

True. However, they are not completely without meaning.

Anyway, Canon doesn't make an eBay-approved camera.

I wonder if all the great photographers used an 'eBay-approved'
camera. Probably not. [ . . . ]

All the great eBay photographers do. But don't take my word for it; ask
Rita.

What in the name of the Goddess is an "eBay photographer"?
And is Rita one of them?

-Wolfgang
Old November 21st 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

Neil Harrington wrote:

[...]

chuckle

Yes, Rita is one of them. The "eBay-approved camera" is sort of an inside
joke with Rita, who uses a Nikon D2x and insists it is "the only
eBay-approved camera."

Neil

Old November 21st 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
... great eBay photographers do. But don't take my word for it; ask
Rita.

What in the name of the Goddess is an "eBay photographer"?
And is Rita one of them?

chuckle

Yes, Rita is one of them. The "eBay-approved camera" is sort of an inside
joke with Rita, who uses a Nikon D2x and insists it is "the only
eBay-approved camera."

There are a lot of inside jokes with Rita, starting with the fact that
"she's" a he.

One of the more both prolific and amusing posters here, he can be
alternately insightful and trolling by making truth-impaired statements
with outward authority. Hard to get him to foam, but it's happened.

--
John McWilliams

But: Rita: You go, girl! s.
Old November 22nd 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Neil Harrington wrote:
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
... great eBay photographers do. But don't take my word for it; ask
Rita.
What in the name of the Goddess is an "eBay photographer"?
And is Rita one of them?

chuckle

Yes, Rita is one of them. The "eBay-approved camera" is sort of an inside
joke with Rita, who uses a Nikon D2x and insists it is "the only
eBay-approved camera."

There are a lot of inside jokes with Rita, starting with the fact that
"she's" a he.

If she's a he, he sure looks good in a bikini.

Neil

Old November 22nd 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

Neil Harrington wrote:

Yes, Rita is one of them. The "eBay-approved camera" is sort of an
inside joke with Rita, who uses a Nikon D2x and insists it is "the
only eBay-approved camera."

And like you would recommend anything less to take pictures of your Beanie
Babies?

Certainly not! (if I even had any Beanie Babies)

But I think Wolfgang was genuinely perplexed about the "eBay-approved" thing
and needed to be tipped off.

Neil