10 more images

Old April 26th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default 10 more images

I posted 10 more images at:

http://www.pbase.com/w_e_graham

Look & feel free to comment....(or not, as you please....:^)

Old April 26th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote
(in article ):

I posted 10 more images at:

http://www.pbase.com/w_e_graham

Look & feel free to comment....(or not, as you please....:^)

You might want to consider straightening the horizons once in a
while, either in camera, or during photo editing, especially for
ocean or architectural shots.

--
Lefty
All of God's creatures have a place..........

Old April 26th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Lefty Bigfoot" wrote in message
. net...
William Graham wrote
(in article ):

I posted 10 more images at:

http://www.pbase.com/w_e_graham

Look & feel free to comment....(or not, as you please....:^)

You might want to consider straightening the horizons once in a
while, either in camera, or during photo editing, especially for
ocean or architectural shots.

Yes....I usually do this as soon as I import the images into Photoshop. I
intentionally didn't do it with the Navy boat shot, because I thought it
would look a little more "ocean like".....Kind of gives it that queasy,
seasick feeling, don't you think?

Old April 27th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote
(in article ):

"Lefty Bigfoot" wrote in message
. net...
William Graham wrote
(in article ):

I posted 10 more images at:

http://www.pbase.com/w_e_graham

Look & feel free to comment....(or not, as you please....:^)

You might want to consider straightening the horizons once in a
while, either in camera, or during photo editing, especially for
ocean or architectural shots.

Yes....I usually do this as soon as I import the images into Photoshop. I
intentionally didn't do it with the Navy boat shot, because I thought it
would look a little more "ocean like".....Kind of gives it that queasy,
seasick feeling, don't you think?

Sometimes it works for a creative impact. However, most of them
I looked at had the problem, not just that one.

Old April 27th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 2006-04-26 02:20:41 -0400, "William Graham" said:

I posted 10 more images at:

http://www.pbase.com/w_e_graham

Look & feel free to comment....(or not, as you please....:^)

Well, I liked this group a whole lot better. I really ALMOST liked the
subway picture. If you cropped out the guy on the far left and probably
the bald guy next in from the left it would be stronger. Not all great
but really a better group than the first. I liked the color saturation,
I liked the composition.
--
Michael | "He's dead, Jim."

Old April 27th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 2006-04-26 02:20:41 -0400, "William Graham" said:

I posted 10 more images at:

http://www.pbase.com/w_e_graham

Look & feel free to comment....(or not, as you please....:^)

Well, I liked this group a whole lot better. I really ALMOST liked the
subway picture. If you cropped out the guy on the far left and probably
the bald guy next in from the left it would be stronger. Not all great but
really a better group than the first. I liked the color saturation, I
liked the composition.

Speaking of color saturation, I have a tendency to boost the brightness and
contrast of almost everything I scan by anywhere from 10 to 50% (brightness)
and 10 or 20% (contrast) This, with slides that I take with +.7 EV set into
my camera when I take them. Is this normal?

Old April 27th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I like the Navy boat pics. Post more of them if you have them.

Old April 28th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 2006-04-26 02:20:41 -0400, "William Graham"
said:
I posted 10 more images at:

http://www.pbase.com/w_e_graham

Look & feel free to comment....(or not, as you please....:^)

Well, I liked this group a whole lot better. I really ALMOST liked
the subway picture. If you cropped out the guy on the far left and
probably the bald guy next in from the left it would be stronger.
Not all great but really a better group than the first. I liked the
color saturation, I liked the composition.

Speaking of color saturation, I have a tendency to boost the
brightness and contrast of almost everything I scan by anywhere from
10 to 50% (brightness) and 10 or 20% (contrast) This, with slides
that I take with +.7 EV set into my camera when I take them. Is this
normal?

Your scanner's assessment of the "scene" on the slide is quite likely to be
similar to your own--in that it is likely to underexpose those scenes just
as you would have...had you not added +.7 EV. A scanner is just as likely
to screw up exposure of a white wedding dress as is a camera set to auto.

So...no. In my opinion, that isn't ALL that unusual.
More than likely, there are settings in your scanning software that will let
you compensate for this.
The other thought is that you might want to make sure you monitor is
calibrated, and that it isn't simply offering images that appear too
dark...when they might actually be brighter on another monitor. This would
be in contrast to the first paragraph above, but its true that "auto
exposure" on scanners can be just as easily fooled as auto exposure on a
camera when it comes to tricky scenes.

-MarkČ

Old April 28th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 2006-04-26 02:20:41 -0400, "William Graham"
said:
[...]

That's a thought....My monitor may be too dark....I think I decreased the
brightness when I got it, because I am usually operating in a semi-darkened
room, and don't need it too bright....Perhaps it's what's making my pics
look too dark. - Either that, or I am going blind....:^)

Old April 28th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
I like the Navy boat pics. Post more of them if you have them.

I think I do have a few more, but they are very dirty, and require a lot of
clean-up work before I get anything decent out of them.......I took them all
back in the middle fifty's........I have a few pictures of Singapore and
Hong Kong that I took during those years, too.....I will post them as I
clean them up....