Raw Shooter Premium available!

Old October 28th 05, 03:46 AM
David J. Littleboy

Default Raw Shooter Premium available!

Pixmantec has released RawShooter Premium, the for-money version of their
freebie RawShooter Essentials.

http://www.pixmantec.com/

They're having a 4-day only introductory price special of US$59.00.

I don't know what the price will go up to.

I really like RSE, and RSP adds a couple of minor niceties. RSP supports a
couple of cameras that RSE doesn't, has some improved algorithms, more
features in the workflow, and adds a curves/levels control. They claim that
the camera support and improved algorithms will make it back into RSE, but
the workflow features and curves/levels control won't.

And RSP has a "Vibrancy" slider in the color control section to "slide in
some Velvia"!

David J. Littleboy
Just a satisfied RSP customer in
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 28th 05, 04:00 AM
Mike G.

David J. Littleboy wrote:

I don't know what the price will go up to.

I think US$99.
Old October 28th 05, 04:40 AM
MarkČ

David J. Littleboy wrote:
Pixmantec has released RawShooter Premium, the for-money version of
their freebie RawShooter Essentials.

http://www.pixmantec.com/

They're having a 4-day only introductory price special of US$59.00.

I don't know what the price will go up to.

I really like RSE, and RSP adds a couple of minor niceties. RSP
supports a couple of cameras that RSE doesn't, has some improved
algorithms, more features in the workflow, and adds a curves/levels
control. They claim that the camera support and improved algorithms
will make it back into RSE, but the workflow features and
curves/levels control won't.
And RSP has a "Vibrancy" slider in the color control section to
"slide in some Velvia"!

David J. Littleboy
Just a satisfied RSP customer in
Tokyo, Japan

Hey, thanks for the heads up, David!
Bill Hilton turned me on to RSE and I've been enjoying this great little
FREE program ever since.
I find I use it more than either CS RAW or C1.
-Just like it.
Curves and levels would be a VERY helpful addition.

Old October 28th 05, 04:41 AM
MarkČ

Mike G. wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

I don't know what the price will go up to.

I think US$99.

I just checked...
US$59...not 99.

Ordered.

Old October 28th 05, 04:53 AM
David J. Littleboy

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:
Mike G. wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

I don't know what the price will go up to.

I think US$99.

I just checked...
US$59...not 99.

Ordered.

The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five days
only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike chipped in
with US$99.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 28th 05, 05:13 AM
MarkČ

Mike G. wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

I don't know what the price will go up to.

I think US$99.

I just checked...
US$59...not 99.

Ordered.

The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five
days only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike
chipped in with US$99.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.
Only complaint is that RSE has always seemed to be a bit of a memory hog...
works great though.
-This will save time for shots where only minimal correction is required,
rather than having to open into PS.
Often I have a lot of "snap-shot" type images that require no more than a
bit of EV adjustment in RSE, but I would still have to open in PS for
levels. I'm sure I'll always use PShop for any serious images, but this is
great for a quick workflow with tons of other images.

The vibrance slider it interesting.

Old October 28th 05, 12:17 PM
Annika1980

Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.

I installed the new version as well and I find myself using it more and
more.
Guess I'll plop down the $59 before the price goes up.

I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on the
slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
How can you have less than zero?
Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.

I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.
When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics were

sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a marketing thing.

Other than that minor quibble (I love quibbling with minors) it's a
great program.

Old October 28th 05, 09:25 PM
Annika1980

RTFHF. The help file mentions that zero for several settings doesn't mean
none, sharpening and detail extraction are at least two I remember being
mentioned.

I didn't need to RTFHF to see that since the slider goes down to -50.
My point was that they did it that way as a marketing ploy to make the
results sharper at the default setting of "0."

Besides, who reads help files?

Old October 30th 05, 02:47 AM
Bart van der Wolf

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.

I installed the new version as well and I find myself using it more
and more.
Guess I'll plop down the $59 before the price goes up.

I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on
the slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
How can you have less than zero?

-50 sharpness is what other converters could call '0'. The truth is
that all converters have 'some' sort of sharpening (due to the native
conversion algorithm) applied. RSE/RSP just extracts more detail than
others. If you need to post-process, just turn default Sharpening
to -50 for low sharpening like some other converters.

Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.

That is another conversion trade-off setting, IMO best left at 'zero'.

I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.

RSE/RSP allows to do that with their Procession bias parameter
settings set to -50.

When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics
were sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a
marketing thing.

It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
Chromatic Aberration correction without human intervention.

Other than that minor quibble (I love quibbling with minors) it's a
great program.

Yes, its workflow is excellent with a possibility to automatically
post-process in you favorite photoeditor for additional tweaking.

Bart

Old October 30th 05, 02:55 AM
Bart van der Wolf

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
SNIP
Curves and levels would be a VERY helpful addition.

They've added it to the RSP version by popular demand, and it is
helpful (single control for both). There are (obviously) several
useful expansions over the free version (e.g. magnifier,
Curves/Levels, non-destructive Cropping and rotation (leveling), and
"Vibrance" control).

Bart