Tamron & Nikkor light tele zooms.

Old November 11th 03, 02:57 PM
Mike - EMAIL IGNORED

Default Tamron & Nikkor light tele zooms.

I am considering the following 35mm/MF lenses:

Tamron SP 70-210/4-5.6
Tamron SP 70-210/3.5
Nikkor 80-200/4

Photodo rates the Nikkor at 3.6, but does not
rate the others. Does anyone know where I
could find comparitive ratings?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Old November 11th 03, 04:10 PM
Ted Harris

Liklihood is that the Tamrons will be pretty close in performance to the
Nikkor. You should look hard at the MTFs for the Nikkor and see hwo they get
that score. It is a combinationof resolution and accutance .. 3.6 is
acceptable but not spectacular.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire
Old November 11th 03, 04:55 PM
Mike - EMAIL IGNORED

For a 70-210 MF zoom, about f3.5 or f4, 3.6 is as good as I can
find. Leads to something better would be appreciated.

On the face of it, I like the Tamron f3.5 because it can get
as close as 0.85 meters. I wonder if something else is lost
because of this.

Mike.

Old November 12th 03, 05:30 PM
Ted Harris

You won't find anything better for the Nikon. You will for Contax or Leica.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire
Old November 18th 03, 02:41 AM
Mr Bluto

I don't know anything about the Tamrons, but I have the Nikkor, and it is an
excellent lens. You won't be disappointed. Unless you need the fractional
extra stop or price is a factor, go w/the Nikkor.
Russ