*Minolta Users* - How was the transition from 800si to Maxxum 7??

Old June 15th 04, 03:25 PM
Viken Karaguesian

Default *Minolta Users* - How was the transition from 800si to Maxxum 7??

Hi all,

I haven't written to this board for a long time although I have been
browsing. I currently have an 800si and am thinking of switching to a
Maxxum 7. I really like the added features, like the 9 AF sensors,
distance technology, rear LCD, etc. It's also *much* lighter that my
800si and lens.

I played around with a Maxxum 7 (and vertical grip) at my local camera
store. I loved the rear LCD screen, the AF sensors and AF speed. Also,
the vertical grip seems more natural and the overall lightness of the
camera is great. I found some things about the Maxxum 7 that may make
it tough for me to transition from the 800si:

1) With everything having gone to dials, going back to "P" mode is not
as easy. With the 800si, I just pressed the "P" button; with the 7 I
have to turn the dial off "P" then back to "P". Has this been a hassle
to other users?

2) The AF Sensor Selector Pad is a cool feature, but I noticed that,
unless I have gargantuan hands, it's impossible to reach in vertical
mode with the grip on. This means that if I'm shooting vertical and I
want to swith sensors, I have to hold the camera horizontal, choose my
sensor, lock it, the go back to vertical. With the 800si all I had to
do was press the AF button and scroll wheel to select my AF sensor.
This "AF" button was duplicated on the vertical grip, which makes it
just as easy to change AF sensors in vertical mode. Has this been a
problem with other "converts"?

3) With the dials, it seems like it not as easy to make adjustments
"on the fly" with the camera at eye level. With my 800si I can change
exposure/flash compensation without moving either hand off its
position and while keeping the camera at eye level. Turning the dials
seems more cumbersome.

These are just my initial impressions. I admit that 10 minutes in a
camera store is not enough time, so that's why I want other Minolta
users' input. I want the experiences of others who ditched the 800si
for the 7 and what they found hard to get used to or found easy to
overcome.

I know that I'll get a barrage of "what don't you just get digital?"
just scan my slides with my slide scanner. Maybe I'll buy the Digital
7 when it comes out as well :)

Thanks for any responses.

Viken Karaguesian
Old June 16th 04, 11:27 AM
Mike Lipphardt

1) With everything having gone to dials, going back to "P" mode is not
as easy. With the 800si, I just pressed the "P" button; with the 7 I
have to turn the dial off "P" then back to "P". Has this been a hassle
to other users?

This is a hassle? You live a sheltered life or something? No big deal.

2) The AF Sensor Selector Pad is a cool feature, but I noticed that,
unless I have gargantuan hands, it's impossible to reach in vertical
mode with the grip on. This means that if I'm shooting vertical and I
want to swith sensors, I have to hold the camera horizontal, choose my
sensor, lock it, the go back to vertical. With the 800si all I had to
do was press the AF button and scroll wheel to select my AF sensor.
This "AF" button was duplicated on the vertical grip, which makes it
just as easy to change AF sensors in vertical mode. Has this been a
problem with other "converts"?

I generally use the center sensor only, so no, no problem. Maybe for you
though.

3) With the dials, it seems like it not as easy to make adjustments
"on the fly" with the camera at eye level. With my 800si I can change
exposure/flash compensation without moving either hand off its
position and while keeping the camera at eye level. Turning the dials
seems more cumbersome.

It's easy, once you're used to it.

Mike

Old June 16th 04, 05:03 PM
Alan Browne

Mike Lipphardt wrote:

[...]

I can't see the OP but I agree with Mike vis-a-vis dials and
controls. I can do everything I need to do (switch modes (A, S,
M), adjust aperture/speed, switch MF/AF, adjust EXP COMP, hold
the AEL (for exp lock), change meter mode (spot, ctr-wtd,
scene-wtd), move the focus position, etc.) without my eye leaving
the viewfinder. (Note I'm talking about the Max 9, but it is
similar in these respects to the Max 7).

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--