Discontinuation of Kodak Technical Pan

Old September 21st 04, 07:00 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default Discontinuation of Kodak Technical Pan

A sad day for black-and-white photography.
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...ex.html#040921

Unlike other recent film discontinuations, this one has no substitute that
is anywhere close. That means there are things you can do with a camera
today that you will not be able to do with a camera next year.

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Old September 21st 04, 11:58 PM
Frank Pittel

In rec.photo.darkroom Michael A. Covington wrote:
: A sad day for black-and-white photography.
: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...ex.html#040921

: Unlike other recent film discontinuations, this one has no substitute that
: is anywhere close. That means there are things you can do with a camera
: today that you will not be able to do with a camera next year.

It is indeed sad. Then again my understanding is that Kodak hasn't been selling very
much of it the last few years.

Does anyone know how the efke and J&C iso25 films compare?

-------------------

Old September 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
Michael A. Covington

wrote:
: A sad day for black-and-white photography.
: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...ex.html#040921

: Unlike other recent film discontinuations, this one has no substitute
that
: is anywhere close. That means there are things you can do with a camera
: today that you will not be able to do with a camera next year.

It is indeed sad. Then again my understanding is that Kodak hasn't been
selling very
much of it the last few years.

Does anyone know how the efke and J&C iso25 films compare?

I'd suspect that even if they are good for pictorial photography, they are
probably wildly different from Tech Pan when you get into scientific
applications.

Old September 22nd 04, 01:54 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Michael A. Covington" wrote
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...ex.html#040921

On which it is written:
In fact I probably haven't bought a roll of Technical Pan in
ten years... and now they've discontinued it.

Yes, that does seem to have been the case with a lot of people.

Then there are those who go through two 20 roll packs a year.

It makes a _great_ snapshot film. Same ASA as K25, so what the bitching
is about with it being "too slow" I do not understand. I even use it in a
Yashica T4; you have to glue a bit of ND .6 filter over the photocell,
though, as the camera defaults to 100 ASA w/o a DX code.

It keeps well forever. I shot a 20 year old roll I found in a box of
camping gear just to see what happens: same as a new roll, and with no fog.

Stock up now.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Old September 22nd 04, 02:12 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Frank Pittel" wrote

Er, like the man said:
this one has no substitute that is anywhere close.

I have only tried the Efke 25. No contest in my book.
I think TMX in Microdol-X works a whole lot better.

But then there is the matter of red sensitivity.
Techpan with a 25A filter is superb. And your lens
becomes a functional apochromat. There is quite a
difference in resolution with and without the 25A.

But, spend $10 and make your own judgement. I am sure
there will be a lot of heated argument coming up on
this point.

Old September 22nd 04, 03:05 AM
Uranium Committee

Frank Pittel wrote in message ...
In rec.photo.darkroom Michael A. Covington wrote:
: A sad day for black-and-white photography.
: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...ex.html#040921

: Unlike other recent film discontinuations, this one has no substitute that
: is anywhere close. That means there are things you can do with a camera
: today that you will not be able to do with a camera next year.

It is indeed sad. Then again my understanding is that Kodak hasn't been selling very
much of it the last few years.

Does anyone know how the efke and J&C iso25 films compare?

This stuff was not that easy to use in any event, and no, the slow ISO
25 films are not remotely like it. It's basically a pan microfilm.