Camera bag for mirrorless with grip attached?

Old April 28th 21, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Camera bag for mirrorless with grip attached?

When I am walking the dog in my local woods and looking to get a few
landscape or wildlife shots I'll grab the X-T3 with a single lens,
perhaps the 16-80, 55-200, or 90 prime. I find with this body it is
worth keeping the grip attached, partly for battery life, partly for the
more secure grip and ease of taking photos in portrait. I want a
shoulder bag for convenience and ease of access but most of the smaller
camera bags seem to be tailored for bodies with no grip, the "depth"
dimension (back to front) is significantly smaller than the "height"
dimension (bottom to top), so not suited to the near-square dimension of
a body with grip.

I have one of the larger Hadleys which is great with the 100-400 lens
attached, but far too big with the smaller lenses. The Thinktank
Retrospective 5 is a bit too small, the Retrospective 7 a bit too big.
The Hadley and the 7 are great if you are carring extra lenses or other
stuff. I can't be the only person with the same problem!

The Lowepro Aventura SH 160 II might just do it, but I think I would
rather try before I buy, and my local dealer wouldn't get one in for me.
Also, it rather shouts "camera", I like the understated designs of the
Thinktank and Billingham.
Old April 29th 21, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Incubus
wrote:

I buy a bag to match the lens and camera, not the other way around. If I
can't
fit my DSLR and 300mm prime lens into a bag, for example, I will buy a bigger
bag.

what kind of bag would you suggest for this lens?

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-conten...a_handholding_
sigma_200-500_2-8.jpg
Old April 29th 21, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Incubus
wrote:

I buy a bag to match the lens and camera, not the other way around. If I
can't
fit my DSLR and 300mm prime lens into a bag, for example, I will buy a
bigger
bag.

what kind of bag would you suggest for this lens?

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-conten...a_handholding_
sigma_200-500_2-8.jpg

A bloody big one.

I imagine with a lens like that, you carry the lens in a hard case and attach
it when needed.

here's the case:
https://www.juzaphoto.com/shared_fil...500/sigma_200-
500_case-1200px.jpg

there's also this:
https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2012/04/12001700_mini.jpg
Old April 29th 21, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Am 28.04.2021 um 23:10 schrieb newshound:
[...]

I'm using a Crumpler Quick Escape Sling L:
https://www.tseportal.nl/shop/bag/cr...-l-dark-denim/

which regrettably is no longer being sold.

But it's a great compact bag, suitable for a mirrorless camera and a few
lenses.

When mine breaks it will be difficult to find a replacement.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old April 29th 21, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 29/04/2021 03:21, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 17:10:19 UTC-4, newshound wrote:
When I am walking the dog in my local woods and looking to get a few
landscape or wildlife shots I'll grab the X-T3 with a single lens,
perhaps the 16-80, 55-200, or 90 prime. I find with this body it is
worth keeping the grip attached, partly for battery life, partly for the
more secure grip

Side issue;
More proof diminutive cameras are really not the best solutions and that their existence could become just
as a niche once rationality returns to camera design.

Horses for courses. My first Fuji was an X-E1, I still use it regularly
with a small wide angle prime as it is as pocketable as (say) a Leica
II. With zoom lenses it benefits from the simple alloy "grip" which also
has a handy Arca plate.
Old April 29th 21, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 29, 2021, newshound wrote
(in articlepcOdnTXSlcZkkxb9nZ2dnUU78WHNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 29/04/2021 03:21, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 17:10:19 UTC-4, newshound wrote:
When I am walking the dog in my local woods and looking to get a few
landscape or wildlife shots I'll grab the X-T3 with a single lens,
perhaps the 16-80, 55-200, or 90 prime. I find with this body it is
worth keeping the grip attached, partly for battery life, partly for the
more secure grip

Side issue;
More proof diminutive cameras are really not the best solutions and that their existence could become just
as a niche once rationality returns to camera design.

Horses for courses. My first Fuji was an X-E1, I still use it regularly
with a small wide angle prime as it is as pocketable as (say) a Leica
II. With zoom lenses it benefits from the simple alloy "grip" which also
has a handy Arca plate.

I also use an X-T3 + grip and I have found that for daily convenience the Domke 803 is just large enough for the camera and a lens or two. If I leave the X-T3 at home and pack the X-E3 instead, the 803 gives me room for three of the small Fuji primes. I really like the Domke bags, with one caveat, some of their models are not large enough for carrying a comprehensive kit.

If I am carrying a larger load I use my older ThinkTank which is quite different to the models they currently offer. Of the current ThinkTank range I would suggest looking at the Retrospective 10, 20, or 30. They make a good quality, affordable product. ThinkTank also has their Mindshift range of which the Exposure 15 looks promising.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/mindshift-gear/products/exposure-15

Otherwise you are probably headed toward the higher end of the market with Billingham, or Ona.

Savageduck

Old April 30th 21, 11:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 29/04/2021 21:51, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I've never tried Domke. The 803 looks a bit too "flat" to me to
be happy with an X-T3 with grip. The F6 looks like it might come between
the Thinktank Retrospective 5 and 7, I'll see if my local dealer can get
one in when they open next month. (Our other two UK main online dealers
stock them).
Old April 30th 21, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 30/04/2021 11:57, Whisky-dave wrote:

I am tempted in my local walthamstow market on the stalls the typical price form these types of bags (unbranded are up to £40)
most are about £8 to £20, quality might be a bit suspect, I can add padding myself as long as the strap holds
what else is there to consider. ?

IME these are mostly at risk of having flimsy zips or strap fixings,
although I used some in the days when I could afford no other. They also
get tatty quickly.

Anyway, with a Billingham you can look like Michael Palin and (unless
you have a tripod) it's not obvious that you are carrying cameras.