Looking for DSLR selection recommendation

Old July 7th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Looking for DSLR selection recommendation

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
Le 04/07/2013 05:00, Alex M a écrit :

Thanks again to everyone for recommendations! I am leaning to Canon
(maybe SL1, maybe a somewhat larger 70D / 7D). Now I would appreciate
recommendations and opinions on a superzoom lens.

I have a 24-105 F/4L, which I love, but would like to have something
with more reach, especially on long end (no urgency, since 24-105
would work most of the time). IS is highly desirable. I realize that
with a superzoom I will be compromising several things, but still
like a convenience of having an occasional "one lens for all" setup.
The 18-200 that was stolen was working great in this mode.

* Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, weight ~600g, $700
* Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3, ~450g, $420
* Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3, ~480g, $400

I have the same feelings about the super-zoom set-up.
I used to use a D90 with a Nikkor 18-200 and was delighted with it.
Now I have a D7000 and a Nikkor 18-300. I neither have nor want any
other lens.
I do everything with it, including close-ups with an Olympus MCON-35
macro add-on.
Examples :
http://cjoint.com/13ju/CGhkFp9JMjS_d...5366_1-001.jpg
http://cjoint.com/13ju/CGhkYlQMUdQ_d...6238_1-001.jpg
So, if you want to shift to Nikon, you know where to set you eyes. ;-)

But if your setup is going to be a fuzzy superzoom with no built in
macro, why not just use a bridge camera?

Image quality (sensor size)
Choice (change lenses on occasions where it matters)
Focussing speed (PDAF)
Seeing what you shoot (Optical viewfinder)
Expandability

-Wolfgang
Old July 7th 13, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ghost-Rider

Le 07/07/2013 17:04, Wolfgang Weisselberg a écrit :
J. Clarke wrote:

But if your setup is going to be a fuzzy superzoom with no built in
macro, why not just use a bridge camera?

Image quality (sensor size)
Choice (change lenses on occasions where it matters)
Focussing speed (PDAF)
Seeing what you shoot (Optical viewfinder)
Expandability

As concerns the Nikkors 18-200 and 18-300, fuzzyness is unknown to me,
my photographs are crisp even at long end and full aperture.
(The 18-200 Canon is good, too, they say).
The 18-300 goes down to 0.45 meters. One can shoot a butterfly full
frame. For closer distances, I just screw my Olympus close-up lens on it.
Autofocus is really fast and reliable : here see-gulls were fighting for
food, I could not follow them, the 39-point autofocus could and chose
the right thing :
http://cjoint.com/13ju/CGgovAUYvxs_d...1515_1-001.jpg
Sure enough, 80% of my photographs coud have been taken with a good
bridge, not the remaining 20%.

Old July 7th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 16:58:58 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: Wandering a little further OT, I think Canon's product line could use a
: 50-150mm f/2.8. I'd make it an EF "L" lens, to fit FF cameras,
:
: What does it have for FF that the 70-200 doesn't have?
: And you can always add a 50mm for little enough money, and
: they're much faster than f/2.8.

Not much for FF, but that's not the point. A FF 50-150 is well within Canon's
design capability, so why not? Then at least the lens is still available if I
buy it for my 7D's but decide later to go FF. As a potential FF wannabe, I
made a conscious decision to stop buying APS-C lenses, and I doubt that I'm
alone in that.

: but it would be intended mainly for the 7D.
:
: That would mean EF-S, and probably 40-125mm or thereabouts, as
: a 70-200-in-crop. And there's already a 28-135mm, a 55-250mm
: and a 28-300mm (and the 18-200mm), albeit all of them slower
: than f/2.8.

And they're not constant-aperture zooms. One can usually live with that for
landscape and architecture photography, but for indoor event photography it's
a deal breaker.

: I love my (well, my employer's) 70-200 f/2.8, but
: it's very heavy
:
: A 50-150 would be much the same.

It could (and should) be noticeably lighter.

: and a bit long for the small-hall event photography that I
: usually do.

Which is the real reason I'd like a 50-150. It wouldn't leave a gap above my
17-55 (Canon's standard APS-C walkaround lens), like the 70-200 does.

: In which case a 18-135 should work well as a focal range ---
: not only has it enough reach, it also goes to wide angle.
: Oh, 480g for the new STM variant should help.

Besides not being a CA lens, it has a bit longer range than I prefer a zoom to
have. I'm already resigned to carrying two cameras at events (I've been doing
it for several years), and ideally the two lenses should overlap, but only by
a little.

: Alternatively --- since the 70-200 is too long anyway --- use
: the 24-105

I've thought about it, but I need the extra stop.

: or even the 24-70 f/2.8,

If I could afford it. But anyway, neither of those lenses is wide enough on a
7D. At the events I do, there's always a group picture to be taken, and that
means going below 24mm.

: and switch to the 70-200 only when needed.

My events (awards ceremonies and the like) usually don't offer many
opportunities to change lenses.

: Alternatively, put a 50mm on your 7D and have a 85 or 100 or 135
: in the bag. (as well as e.g. the 10-22mm and/or the 17-40mm)
: Then you have much better than f/2.8, too.
:
: Sigma is back in the game with a stabilized 50-150; but it isn't
: cheap, and I'm pretty sure it's not in the same league with Canon's L's.
:
: As you point out, there's the 70-200. A 50-150 only add 20mm
: downwards. Just use a 50mm already ...

I already use a 17-55. The issue is what do I carry that's longer.

: I can see many things that could be done for high end crop
: cameras, but a 50-150 doesn't appear there. A 60-200 may
: happen some day, though --- back then they were 80-200mm.

Let's face it: I don't expect Canon to pay much attention to my argument for
the 50-150 (and certainly not as a FF lens). But I thought I might as well
throw the idea out there.

Bob
Old July 7th 13, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pensive hamster

On Sunday, 7 July 2013 14:38:41 UTC+1, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,

[...]
I used to use a D90 with a Nikkor 18-200 and was delighted with it.
Now I have a D7000 and a Nikkor 18-300. I neither have nor want any
other lens.

I do everything with it, including close-ups with an Olympus MCON-35
macro add-on.

Examples :
http://cjoint.com/13ju/CGhkFp9JMjS_d...5366_1-001.jpg
http://cjoint.com/13ju/CGhkYlQMUdQ_d...6238_1-001.jpg
So, if you want to shift to Nikon, you know where to set you eyes. ;-)

But if your setup is going to be a fuzzy superzoom with no built in
macro, why not just use a bridge camera?

You consider the above linked images fuzzy? They seem fairly
reasonable to me, maybe not super-sharp or super-high
magnification, but certainly not fuzzy.

I'm interested because I have a D5100 and Nikkor 18-55 and 55-200
zooms. Closest focus on the latter is about a metre, so I was
considering getting some kind of macro add-on. Proper Nikkor
macro lenses are quite expensive and out of budget at the mo.
Old July 7th 13, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

Those are no sharper than can be done with a decent bridge camera.

Old July 7th 13, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

The 18-300 Nikkor costs close to a thousand bucks. You can get a good
superzoom bridge camera for 1/3 of the price, and I am not aware that
the 18-300 and the like have superior optical performance to the
superzooms on the bridge cameras, so I don't see the value.

Old July 7th 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 7/7/2013 12:38 PM, pensive hamster wrote:
[...]

If you add an extension tube to your lens you will get much closer
focusing distance, for a reasonable price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Kenko%20Extension%20Tubes&N=0&InitialSe arch=yes

--
PeterN
Old July 7th 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ghost-Rider

Le 07/07/2013 18:38, pensive hamster a écrit :
On Sunday, 7 July 2013 14:38:41 UTC+1, J. Clarke wrote:

But if your setup is going to be a fuzzy superzoom with no built in
macro, why not just use a bridge camera?

You consider the above linked images fuzzy? They seem fairly
reasonable to me, maybe not super-sharp or super-high
magnification, but certainly not fuzzy.

I'm interested because I have a D5100 and Nikkor 18-55 and 55-200
zooms. Closest focus on the latter is about a metre, so I was
considering getting some kind of macro add-on. Proper Nikkor
macro lenses are quite expensive and out of budget at the mo.

It's a long story. I used to have an Olympus E10 with the MCON-35 macro
add-on. It's a 2.85 diopter achromatic lens. I never used it much but
when I got my D90 and the 18-200 I screwed it to my new zoom and saw the
results were much much better than experts would say.
So I decided I would go into the macro world with an 18-200 Nikkor zoom
and an Olympus 2.85 diopter close-up lens ! Sometimes I put 2 and even 3
of those lenses on top of each other (I got them used on e-bay because
they were discontinued ages ago which is a shame considering their quality).
When I got my 18-300 I put my Olympus close-up lens on it and you can
see the results. The maximum magnification ratio I get with one lens is
0.91, that's very close to 1. I get 1.52 with 2, and 2.62 with 3 but
that's difficult to use.
I am aware a good f2.8 105 mm Micro Nikkor lens would be better, but who
wants to spend 800 $ when you can get away with 80$ ?
http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/e10/mcon-35.html
Apart from the Olympus MCON-35 which is hard to find (I bought them all)
I know that Canon made two of such lenses : the 250D and the 500D which
have a very good reputation. Nikon does not make such close-up lenses. I
also have a 5D Marumi but it's rubbish.
One of my good friends, (D90 + 18-200, not reframed) :
http://cjoint.com/13ju/CGhtAadJJAe_d90_12288_1-001.jpg
Another one of my good friends, although they don't like each other much
: (D7000 +18-300, not reframed) :
http://cjoint.com/13ju/CGhtFx8rqkB_d...5697_1-001.jpg

Old July 7th 13, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

Those aren't actually an awful lot cheaper than a 40mm DX Micro-Nikkor.
Old July 7th 13, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 7/7/2013 1:35 PM, Ghost-Rider wrote:
[...]

No matter how much you spend, there is away better. The key is that
it's working for you, There is no need to defend your choices.

--
PeterN