Hot Stuff

Old July 3rd 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_6_]

Default Hot Stuff

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 13:07:02 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
On 7/3/2013 1:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:

On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:

Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day

celebration.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg

It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was

fairly bright.

After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all

that bad.

But ... What do you gurus think?

Take Care,

Dudley

It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better. Or

a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I can

see.

I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

Yes the sky looks a little to blue for a night shot, well I assume the firework display was at night. The bottom image does looks a bit burnt out and lacks colour. I couldn't find the EXIF data .

Was wondering whethe ryou use rteh firework mode as I think that purposely sets a longer exposure than would normally be used.

I used aperture priority with no exposure compensation and the
Canon f/1.4 50mm lens.

Ended up shooting close to a hundred pics using everything
from long manual exposures stopped down to f8 all the way to
some shorter, nearly wide open pics at iso 800. Most came out
like the one posted.

As for timing, the event was a "family friendly" event,
meaning it was a bit earlier than one might expect for
fireworks (read dusk) so the kids could watch without having
to lose too much sleep. That could explain the overly blue
sky.
Thanks,
Dudley
Old July 4th 13, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Tony Cooper wrote:

[Fireworks]
Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

You can also simply merge several firework burst images. :-)

-Wolfgang
Old July 6th 13, 12:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:09:07 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
Tony Cooper wrote:

[Fireworks]
Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

You can also simply merge several firework burst images. :-)

Yes, that can be done in Photoshop (and maybe other programs)

You probably mean "that can be done in other programs (and
maybe in Photoshop".

by
bringing in additional images as new layers and changing the blend
mode to Screen on all but the Background layer to drop out the sky.

Or simply use additive blending, or "choose the brightest
pixel". (Newer Canons can do that
in camera, even!)

But, not everyone has Photoshop to work with.

Dudley would simply whip up a perl script: choose the brightest
pixel and done. (Or add all pixel values and scale down so
the maximum values don't cross 255.)

Or people could use the GIMP ...
.... or dozens of other programs.

-Wolfgang
Old July 7th 13, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_6_]

Tony Cooper wrote:

[...]

Yep, fireworks wouldn't be that tough to double expose using
Perl, especially if the photog doesn't screw things up and get
blue sky...

One of the projects I'm working on at present is to split
several images into components and compose a final image from
halfs, quarters, thirds of other images. More of a montage
affect than a merge.

While obviously not as powerful as Adobe, there's actually
quite a bit one can do using a script.

Take Care,
Dudley