[photo] sunset from Isle of Wight ferry

Old April 9th 08, 02:45 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_12_]

Default [photo] sunset from Isle of Wight ferry

Taken without tripod off a moving ferry going back to mainland
from Isle of Wight. It's actually 2 shots with different
exposures manually blended like a GND filter I guess.

I quite liked the colours. Not sure about the composition. Too
much sky? I liked the cloud patterns too, that's why I put the
horizon like that and used portrait orientation instead of
landscape. I'm not that experienced with landscape/seascape(?)
shooting.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...img_7022-3.jpg

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old April 9th 08, 02:53 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Helen[_2_]

Default sunset from Isle of Wight ferry

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_04....

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.

It is a lovely pic. Composition is great, for my own personal taste
I'd crop a bit off the sky. The only way you learn is through
experience.
Helen
Old April 9th 08, 03:00 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_12_]

* Helen wrote:
On Apr 8, 9:45*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
Taken without tripod off a moving ferry going back to mainland
from Isle of Wight. *It's actually 2 shots with different
exposures manually blended like a GND filter I guess.

I quite liked the colours. *Not sure about the composition. *Too
much sky? *I liked the cloud patterns too, that's why I put the
horizon like that and used portrait orientation instead of
landscape. *I'm not that experienced with landscape/seascape(?)
shooting.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_04...

It is a lovely pic. Composition is great, for my own personal taste
I'd crop a bit off the sky. The only way you learn is through
experience.

Thanks Helen. Agree that there's probably too much sky. I did
play with cropping more of it off, but decided to post as is to
get feedback on the original shot.

Old April 9th 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Troy Piggins wrote:
Taken without tripod off a moving ferry going back to mainland
from Isle of Wight. It's actually 2 shots with different
exposures manually blended like a GND filter I guess.

I quite liked the colours. Not sure about the composition. Too
much sky? I liked the cloud patterns too, that's why I put the
horizon like that and used portrait orientation instead of
landscape. I'm not that experienced with landscape/seascape(?)
shooting.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...img_7022-3.jpg

Troy, I like the shot. I would correct the slight tilt which there
appears to be, though. I wouldn't crop the sky, as I like the small
could-free area just at the top. Lovely clouds.

Cheers,
David

Old April 9th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_12_]

* David J Taylor wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:
Taken without tripod off a moving ferry going back to mainland
from Isle of Wight. It's actually 2 shots with different
exposures manually blended like a GND filter I guess.

I quite liked the colours. Not sure about the composition. Too
much sky? I liked the cloud patterns too, that's why I put the
horizon like that and used portrait orientation instead of
landscape. I'm not that experienced with landscape/seascape(?)
shooting.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...img_7022-3.jpg

Troy, I like the shot. I would correct the slight tilt which there
appears to be, though. I wouldn't crop the sky, as I like the small
could-free area just at the top. Lovely clouds.

Thanks Dave. Hadn't noticed the slight tilt. I'll fix it
tonight.

Old April 9th 08, 11:23 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
altus

On 9 Apr, 03:00, Troy Piggins wrote:
* Helen wrote:
On Apr 8, 9:45*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
Taken without tripod off a moving ferry going back to mainland
from Isle of Wight. *It's actually 2 shots with different
exposures manually blended like a GND filter I guess.

I quite liked the colours. *Not sure about the composition. *Too
much sky? *I liked the cloud patterns too, that's why I put the
horizon like that and used portrait orientation instead of
landscape. *I'm not that experienced with landscape/seascape(?)
shooting.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_04...

Gorgeous, well done. Positively Turneresque.

Old April 9th 08, 12:22 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_12_]

* Helen wrote:
On Apr 8, 9:45*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
Taken without tripod off a moving ferry going back to mainland
from Isle of Wight. *It's actually 2 shots with different
exposures manually blended like a GND filter I guess.

I quite liked the colours. *Not sure about the composition. *Too
much sky? *I liked the cloud patterns too, that's why I put the
horizon like that and used portrait orientation instead of
landscape. *I'm not that experienced with landscape/seascape(?)
shooting.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_04...

Gorgeous, well done.

Thankyou!

Positively Turneresque.

??

clickety /

Aah, Joseph Mallord William Turner - painter. I do see some of
those colours and similarities in some of his paintings.
Interesting.

Old April 9th 08, 06:12 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Draco

On Apr 8, 9:45*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
Taken without tripod off a moving ferry going back to mainland
from Isle of Wight. *It's actually 2 shots with different
exposures manually blended like a GND filter I guess.

I quite liked the colours. *Not sure about the composition. *Too
much sky? *I liked the cloud patterns too, that's why I put the
horizon like that and used portrait orientation instead of
landscape. *I'm not that experienced with landscape/seascape(?)
shooting.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos.php?al...photos/2008_04....

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.

Very well done. I like the way you have blended the two images
together. Can hardly tell the blending line. Good strong colors and
not out of line for the scene.

The horizen is slightly tilted to the left a bit. That would show up
more if the image was larger than my monitor. But being on a moving
boat in the middle of the water it shold be allowed.

I would have cropped it a bit tighter on the top and bottom. The way
you have it gives the strong feeling of the open seas and the
peacefullness of twilight.

Keep shooting landscapes. It will help with close up items as well.

Draco
Old April 9th 08, 06:34 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Troy Piggins wrote:
* Helen wrote:
[...]

I agree, cropped to an 8x10 aspect ratio looks good for many portrait
shots anyways.
Old April 9th 08, 08:32 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_12_]

* Draco wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the comments, Draco. Appreciate it.